Summer U Newsletter
Reader's Theater: Session 3, Week 1
June 13, 2014
This week in Reader's Theater, students have stretched their minds and challenged themselves through reading and acting! They have started each day with an opener activity, and some sort of drama activity. They have put on multiple mini-plays using scripts. Students have practiced their fluency and accuracy effortlessly through the use of scripts. They have practiced reading with expression simply by acting out their lines! Students have been very creative with creating props and actions for their lines. Confidence has been built through reading out loud and doing fun acting exercises. They have even taken a story and turned it into a script, connecting with the text on a deeper level to understand the events of the story, the characters' feelings, and possible actions the character may have done.
Students have completed the following plays in Reader's Theater:
- If You Take a Mouse to School
- If You Give a Pig a Pancake
- Chicken Little
- The Three Billy-Goats Gruff
- The Sea King's Daughter
- The Princess Mouse
- The Baker's Dozen
- Me First!
- The True Story of the Three Little Pigs
- Click, Clack, Moo - Cows that Type
- Two Pigs, a Wolf, and a Mud Pie (final performance!)
Games We Have Played in Reader's Theater:
- What Are You Doing? (a class favorite!)
- The Martha Game (another class favorite!)
- Mr. Tap
- The Mystery Game
- The Shakes
- Look Up, Dude!
Tongue Twisters/Acting Warm-Ups:
- Sally sells seashells on the seashore
- Flash message. Flash message.
- Toy boat. Toy boat. Toy boat.
- A proper copper coffee pot.
- Mommala Poppala, Mommala Poppala
- The lips, the teeth, the tip of the tongue, the tip of the tongue, the teeth, the lips.
- Unique New York, Unique New York, Unique New York.
- Yoda met a Yeti on the Plains of Serengeti.
- Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
- Today is our last day of Reader's Theater! Bravo to the students!
- If your child is continuing with other summer school classes, please report any Summer School absences by calling the South Middle School front office at 847-398-4250 or e-mailing email@example.com