About Suzanne Colinns
- Suzanne Collins was born on August 10, 1962, in Hartford, Connecticut.
- Suzanne graduated high school from the Alabama School of Fine Arts in 1980.
- Suzanne’s second series was The Hunger Games. That is now an international bestseller.
- Suzanne got the idea for The Hunger Games from her father who was a soldier in Vietnam war where he watched his friends die in combat. Collins also got the idea from the Greek myth of Theseus. The myth of Theseus is that seven strong young men and seven young beautiful had to go and kill the minotaur.
- The Hunger Games story revolves around the series' rebel heroine, Katniss Everdeen, that lives in the nation of Panem (North America). In Panem the Hunger Games are an annual event in which young boys and girls fight to their deaths on a televised battle.
- Katniss Everdeen:
- Main character in The Hunger Games series.
- Symbolizes the Mockingjay for the rebels.
- She fought her way into the Capitol and ended the Rebellion.
- Lived in District 12.
- Love item for both Peeta Mellark and Gale Hawthorne.
- Best friend to Peeta, Gale, Finnick and Johanna.
- Was in the arena with Katniss but got captured by the Capitol.
- He has loved Katniss since they were little kids.
- The Capitol kidnapped him after the 75th Games. He was hijacked to believe that Katniss is a enemy. He tried to kill her, but doesn't succeed.
- Gale Hawthorne:
- Katniss' best friend and hunting partner.
- He is in love with Katniss.
- He ends up a government official in District 2. The rest of his fate is unknown.
- Haymitch Abernathy:
- A drunken former victor from District 12.
- Used to be a mentor for the Hunger Games.
- Victor of the 50th Hunger Games.
- President Coriolanus Snow:
- The cruel President of Panem.
- Killed all of his enemies by poisoning them to win presidency.
- President Alma Coin:
- President of District 13.
- She authorized the final bombing of the Capitol's.
The main conflict in Mockingjay is that the districts are rising up against the Capitol to end the Hunger Games for good. Also the brutal ways for treating the districts of Panem.
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the arena alive by the rebels in district 13. The Capitol is angry and wanted revenge. the rebels start an uprising against the capita where everyone that has defind the capitol goes to district 13 and form a army to fight with the capital for freedom. In district 13. Katniss agrees to be used as the mockingay as symbol to show the rebelling districts. They fight for a long time with bombs and though the television to show propaganda about what president snow is trying to do to everyone in the districts of Panama. Panama falls to the rebels, Coin suggests a final Hunger Games featuring the children of the Capitol's former leaders as tributes, leading Katniss to believe that nothing will change under a new regime.
From The Story
"Katniss, I'm not arguing. If I could hit a button and kill every living soul working for the Capitol, I would do it. Without hesitation….the questions is, what are you going to do?"
" I'm going to be the mocking jay"
Why is this important?
Katniss finally admitted that she was going to be the Mockingjay. To commit to becoming the main role model in leading the rebels.
Who Might Like This Book
I feel like young adults would like Mockingjay because of the science fiction aspect and becuase of the adventure and romance.
I liked Mockingjay because it was a fun and easy read. Also because it didn't give away the ending and I thought it woud end very differently.
- Hunger Games Book. Flicker. N.p., 2013. Web. 15 May 2013.
- Bio.True Story. N.p., 1196. Web. 15 May 2013. <http://www.biography.com/
- "Katniss Everdeen." Glogster. N.p., 2007. Web. 16 May 2012. <http://www.glogster.com/b-bgunlove/katniss-everdeen/ g-6lb86ilt6qtfeaitvch4ca0>.
- Josh Hutcherson." The Mockingjay Final Site. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 May 2013.