~ MY Academy ~ Weekly Wrap Up
MY School. MY Way.
Executive Director's Note
Welcome to the MY Academy 2020-2021 school year!
I hope you had a great first week getting to know your Teacher of Record and getting oriented to our program. We are focused on ensuring that our students and teachers build partnerships for student success. Your teachers are here to support you and ensure you reach your full potential.
Check out the important information in this newsletter to ensure you start the school year strong!
WEEK IN REVIEW
- We know that the first week of school is filled with excitement for students, families, and staff.
- There may also be anxiety and apprehension about new environments and technology, new requirements, and new expectations.
- It's the same feelings for staff as well as students and families.
- Communication is the key to all relationships.
- Let's be sure we have a two-way dialogue as the school-year continues to unfold.
ASSESSMENT AND ACCOUNTABILITY
Subject Matter Assessments
- All students should have completed subject matter assessments this week. This data will help your teacher place you in courses and guide your curriculum.
- These assessments are mobile-friendly, so if you haven't received your technology yet, log in on your phone and access your assessments there.
- USER TIP: Turn your phone horizontally for optimum viewing.
- USER TIP: Click "Reader Tools", select "Click to speak", and the questions will read aloud to you.
- Students in grades 6-12 should have completed an Interest Profile this week.
- If you are not sure what this is, contact your Teacher of Record.
- Be sure to share your results with your Teacher of Record so you can begin discussions on your academic and career path.
Starting strong can be a great way to set yourself up for success. Here are a few tips for starting the year off strong.
- Communicate with your Teacher of Record regularly.
- Schedule when you will complete schoolwork each day.
- Learn actively. Take notes and complete activities and assessments.
- Advocate for yourself. Contact your teacher as often as you need help.
- Set goals and celebrate reaching them.
- You are expected to complete schoolwork each day that school is in session.
- Talk with your teacher about creating a schedule that works for you.
- At MY Academy, students have choices in their education. You can choose the courses you take and set your own pace.
- Students can set their pace to finish one class per Learning Period (LP) or a more traditional pace of working through 5-6 classes per semester.
- Both options will keep students on pace to graduate.
- Talk to your Teacher of Record about what would work best for you, as a student. They can help you create a pacing schedule to fit your individual needs.
School Culture and Support
- Student engagement is the backbone of our school culture. Get to know your teacher. Share your goals and hobbies. Ask for ways to get involved.
- Your Teacher of Record can tailor the curriculum to your interests.
- If you have not had a one-on-one meeting with your Teacher of Record yet, reach out and schedule one now!
Meetings Virtual For Now
- For now, weekly meetings with teachers will continue to be virtual until further notice.
- You can meet virtually, speak on the phone, or check-in through text or email with your teacher.