Seawell Peek At the Week
November 13, 2022
At Seawell We Value All...We Are Committed to All...Believe in All...and Lead with the Heart!!!
November is Gratitude Month for our Seawell learning community and we are grateful for the students and families that bring light and joy each day! Our focus is to have an attitude of gratitude and think about all that we have to be thankful for.
Lockdown drill reminder - our school will practice a lockdown drill this week. We will notify you via an email ConnectEd message once the drill has been completed. Some classes have been reviewing safe spaces within respective classrooms in preparation for the drill this week. While it is unfortunate that we must do this, it is necessary in order to ensure that we are prepared in the event of a crisis situation. Note that we will have 3-4 lockdown drills this year as we will prepare for both an interior and exterior threat/crisis.
I hope that your family took the time to show appreciation to all of the veterans who have served our country. So much appreciation for both the service and the sacrifice.
NEWS FROM THE PTA
Join the PTA for just $10 per person or sponsor a Seawell teacher or staff member for only $5 by clicking on the MemberHub link. As a PTA member there is no obligation to attend the PTA meetings or volunteer. We welcome other family members too, such as grandparents, to become PTA members, too!
Volunteer with the PTA! There are several vacant positions, including PTA president. We are still looking for members of the yearbook committee and would love some volunteers! If interested in volunteering, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2022 Fall PTA Fundraiser is here. Support your favorite causes: Critter Corner, Field Day, Book Fair, cultural activities and so much more! 100% of EVERY donation goes to Seawell Elementary School. NO amount is too small. Donate at: https://seawell.memberhub.com/store/items/793476
Thank you for your generosity.
Fall into Fall Dance on November 18 from 6:00-8:00 pm.
Parents, please register your child here:
Parent volunteer sign-up:
SES COVID-19 Cases
CHCCS encourages eligible students and staff to get an updated COVID-19 booster. The updated bivalent booster is now available for people 12 and older (two months after they finish their primary series or any booster dose). It offers the most up-to-date protection against the latest Omicron variants. The booster, like all COVID-19 vaccines, is safe to get alongside your annual flu vaccine. The CDC also recommends a third dose for children 5 to 11 who have compromised immune systems. Click on these links for vaccination locations and more information on COVID-19 boosters
Families, please be sure to follow the following guidelines :
- Masks: In general, CHCCS remains a mask-recommended, but optional district. Masks continue to be provided for students and staff upon request. Exceptions to this protocol are outlined on our website as well as the below paragraph about COVID-19 positive staff/students.
- Also: Schools will no longer require masking in the entire building when there are clusters of 5+ positive cases in a small group or a cumulative total of 15+ positive cases in a school. More on this below.
- Symptomatic Staff/Students - Will be required to provide*:
- A negative PCR COVID-19 test, or
- 2 negative Antigen (Rapid) tests separated 24 hours apart in order to return to work/school, or
- An alternative diagnosis from a primary care provider.
- *This is not for individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19. This is to prove that the COVID-like symptoms being experienced are not COVID-19. Individuals who choose not to test for COVID-19 or get an alternative diagnosis from their primary care provider are required to follow the COVID-19 positive staff/students guidance.
- COVID-19 positive Staff/Students - Must quarantine for 5 days and can return on day 6 as long as they are free of vomiting, diarrhea, and fever without the use of medication and all COVID-19 like symptoms are improving (they do not need to be resolved). The individual needs to continue to wear a mask at work/school while indoors for an additional 5 days after returning. Please contact your school nurse for additional information and guidance on returning to work/school.
Native American Heritage Month
Question to Ponder....What was the first story you heard about Native Americans or American Indians?
- Fall Dance (sponsored by PTA)
- 3-Hour Early Dismissal (11:30)
November 23- 25
- Teacher Workday/Thanksgiving Break
- Winter Book Fair
December 19 - January 2
- Teacher Workday/Winter Break
Special Needs Advisory Council (SNAC) website linked here
Ms. Lindsay Guge Cozon is our representative
Fundations is a literacy program used in grades K-3 to teach and reinforce foundational literacy skills at Seawell Elementary school. This is a component of our core instructional program.
"As a recognized leader in multisensory, structured language programs, Wilson brings three decades of systematic and explicit instruction to the K-3 classroom. Based on the Wilson Reading System® principles, Wilson Fundations® provides research-based materials and strategies essential to a comprehensive reading, spelling, and handwriting program.
Wilson Fundations makes learning to read fun while laying the groundwork for life-long literacy. Students in grades K-3 receive a systematic program in critical foundational skills, emphasizing:
- Phonemic awareness
- Phonics/ word study
- High frequency word study
- Reading fluency
- Comprehension strategies
The instruction aligns with states’ rigorous college- and career-ready standards." (https://www.wilsonlanguage.com/programs/fundations/)
We’re hiring! CHCCS is hiring for a wide variety of available positions including Exceptional Children (EC), dual language, math and science teachers…plus bus drivers, facilities, maintenance and IT staff. Know someone who wants to join the CHCCS team? Please help us by using your networks on LinkedIn to share our posts and spread the word! Note that Seawell is still searching for:
- Fifth Grade LEAP teacher
- Instructional Assistants
Please call Seawell at 919.967.4343 ext 33201 or email email@example.com to report absences and tardies.
Educational leave for students must be requested at least ten days in advance utilizing this form.