Back to School Edition
Welcome to the 2023-2024 School Year!
Dear Jepson Families,
Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year at Willis Jepson Middle School! Our school is a special place with rich traditions rooted in the Vacaville Community and a vibrant campus life. We are committed to the academic success and personal growth of all of our students and look forward to partnering with you. Many of our teachers participated in professional growth workshops this summer focusing on best first instruction and helping students gain essential skills to prepare for high school and beyond. There are many ways for students to get involved in campus life at Jepson, through music, sports and clubs, and we look forward to seeing our students soon at the 7th Grade Orientation and the 8th Grade Bash.
We will send newsletters at the beginning of each month as our main form of communication, along with Parent Square posts as needed.
Tom McHale, Principal
Randy Henry, Substitute Assistant Principal
Joe Cooney, Assistant Principal
Jackie Carmona, Dean of Learning Support
Para los padres/tutores que hablan español
- 8/15: 7th Grade Orientation
- 8/16: 8th Grade Welcome Back Bash
- 8/17: First Day of School!
- 8/23: Picture Day
- 8/30: Back to School Night
- 9/4: Labor Day (No School)
- 9/13: Make-Up Picture Day
- 9/28: Parent Teacher Conferences & Minimum Day
Change in Bell Schedule
Students are released earlier this year due to a change in instructional minutes in all middle schools in VUSD.
- Our Jepson WEB (Where Everyone Belongs) leaders are ready to invite the incoming 7th grade class for orientation from 8 am - 11:45 am. Students should wear comfortable clothes and are recommended to bring a water bottle.
- Parents/Guardians are invited to join their students in the Quad from 11:45 am - 12:30 pm to make purchases of PE clothes, yearbooks, PTC membership, etc.
8th graders: Head to the Quad on Wednesday, August 16th at 10 AM.
- All new and returning 8th graders are welcome to join us from 10 am to 12 pm to pick up your schedule, tour the school, and check out our booths.
- Parents/Guardians are also invited to join their students in the Quad during this time to make purchases of PE clothes, yearbooks, PTC membership, etc.
What School Supplies Will My Student Need?
- PE uniform ($20/set) or solid black shorts and a solid white shirt from home
- Sneakers/tennis shoes to keep at school if your student wears Crocs or slides
- Combination lock for your student's PE locker - practice the combo at home!
- A simple folder or binder to organize handouts.
- Composition book(s) - College Ruled
- Pencils, pens, highlighters - NO Sharpies allowed!
- Post-its (square 4x4)
- Reusable water bottle - we have multiple refilling stations throughout campus!
- Bike/skateboard/scooter lock. We have two skateboard racks as well as bike racks to hold your student's transportation during school hours
Drop off and Pick Up
We ask our Jaguar Community not to drop off students before 8:20 AM. There is limited supervision at this time. We have a number of locations in which you can drop off and pick up your student at Jepson Middle School as Elder Street can get congested with traffic:
Cheyenne Drive off of North Alamo: There is a bridge that brings students straight onto campus.
Arlene Court off of Shady Glen: There is a back gate that brings students behind the gym
Orchard Avenue/Unity Church Back Gate Entrance: There is a back gate that brings students to our back fields and they enter campus via our quad.
Elder Street/Front of School: Please use the Bus Loop as the Staff Parking Lot will be closed to traffic.
The back gates to school will open between 8:15 and 8:25 AM and will be locked by 9:00 AM. Students should proceed to the Quad area for the 8:45 bell. Those arriving late should check in at the front office.
A friendly reminder that students should use sidewalks at all times and not cut across the parking lot where buses are cars are coming in and out.
Please refer to the images below for visuals!
You may make an appointment to see a counselor for the following schedule concerns:
Acceptable Class Change Requests:
- Students need to change a class to meet grade-level requirements.
- Students has been scheduled into the wrong level of a class
- Student is missing a class/period
- Two of the same classes in your schedule
- 8th grader scheduled in the same elective as last year
Unacceptable schedule change requests:
- Requests for a different teacher
- Change of class period based on preference
- Wanting to be in a class with friends
- Wanting a different elective
8th graders: TA Applications will be available in the counseling office during the first 2 weeks of school. You may only TA during your current elective period.
Cindy Ayala, 7th Grade Counselor
Angi Roe, 8th Grade Counselor
Chabeli Lopez, 7th/8th Grade Counselor
Students will need to type in a portion of their student ID (s-723#####) number NOT including the first 3 numbers. For example, if their student ID number is 723123456, they will only type in 123456.
Check out our quality, fresh meal menu by clicking on the picture below!
Willis Jepson PTC
We welcome you as a member of the Jepson family and in turn, a member of the Jepson PTC. For the 2023/24 school year, we start our school year asking for three things:
- A minimum $10 donation per student (checks payable to Jepson PTC) that will help Jepson PTC subsidize: school dances, athletics, National Junior Honor Society induction, end of year awards, teacher appreciation week gifts, 8th grade BBQ, and any teacher and club projects that arise.
- Participate in the student-led fundraisers happening this school year - a Color Battle in Fall.
- Purchase spirit wear sweats Jepson spirit wear sweats are available for purchase at various events and by placing an order in the office.
If you wish to support PTC with your time, we welcome you to join our monthly meetings or volunteer at any of our various events. Meetings are tentatively scheduled on the 1st Monday of each month at 6pm in the Jepson Staff Lounge and a small list of our available volunteer opportunities can be found in the link below
If you’re still reading this message, we KNOW you want to help Jepson PTC! Please fill out and turn in the form on the back of the letter (linked below). We look forward to hearing from you and wish everyone a great start to this new school year!
The parent portal allows parents to:
- Check students' grades & missing assignments
- View and update their child’s emergency contact information
- Update student medical information
- View standardized test scores
- View attendance information in real-time
- View the VUSD Annual Parent Notification
- Complete the annual release acknowledgment and permission requirements
The parent portal system is self-registering. To set up your portal, click the link below with the following information (your email will include your unique log-in needs):
- A valid email address
- Your student's ID number
- Your primary telephone number registered with the school
- A verification code
If you don't know your student ID number: Jepson office staff can help provide you with the information you need to set up your account.