Classic Rock Music from Hatchet
sample paragraph 1
Brian is in a single plane engine to see his dad.
Brian has many flashbacks of his parents divorce.
The pilot complains about his shoulder in a serious pain.
The pilot has a heart attack.
5. Brian tries to think of a plan to take over the plane after the pilot passes out.
Youtube song: Rod Stewart Forever Young
Sample paragraph 2
Brian seeks the controls for the radio.
2. Reaching over the pilot to remove his headset, he bumps the wheel and must make a serious of corrections to right it again.
3. He tries to use the radio to no avail, as he loses the signal before he can convey any useful information.
4. Attempting to envision a successful landing of the plane, Brian finds he has insufficient time to prepare.
5. The plane engine dies suddenly, forcing him to land earlier than he had expected.
Youtube song: John Mellencamp Hurts so Good
sample paragraph 3
Seeing only trees rather than lakes directly in front of him, Brian becomes convinced he will not survive the plane's descent.
2. Finally he spots an L-shaped lake,uncertain whether he has enough speed to reach it.
3. At that instant the plane hits the trees, shooting through them and landing on the lake.
4. Water rushes over Brian, who screams and vomits during the descent, but he succeeds in unbuckling his seat belt and swimming up to the surface.
5. When he finally reaches the shore, Brian passes out from pain and exhaustion.
Youtube song: Elton John Bennie and the Jets
sample paragraph 4
1. In a semi-dream state, Brian vividly recalls every detail of the incident in which he discovers "The Secret." He had been riding his bike with his friend Terry when he saw his mother in a strange car, kissing a man with short blond hair.
2. The hatred, anger, and astonishment that had swept over him at that moment return to him anew.
3. Becoming conscious once again, Brian slowly absorbs the surrounding wilderness as the details of the plane crash rush back into his mind.
4. His entire body aching from the injuries he has sustained during the crash, he falls quickly asleep.
5. The mosquitoes in the area swarm around him and leave him with painful bites on every part of his exposed skin.
Youtube song: Bon Jovi Livin on a Prayer
This is the wilderness where Brian is surrounded.
The injuries Brian sustained.
This is where the part Brian had been bitten by several mosquitoes, causing him exposed skin.
sample paragraph 5
Gripped by unbelievable thirst and hunger upon awakening, Brian drinks water from the lake while trying to grasp the fact that he has landed in this complete wilderness.
2. Reassuring himself with the hope that the searchers will come that day to rescue him, Brian recalls his old English teacher Mr. Perpich, who had repeatedly emphasized to his students the importance of a positive attitude, and Brian uses this memory to motivate himself against despair.
3. Brian experiences the profound silence of the woods, noting that such silence never exists back in the city.
4. In a sudden wave of despair Brian suddenly remembers that he had bumped the wheel when reaching over for the pilot's headset.
5. This action had most likely rerouted the plane, and Brian begins to accept the fact that the search planes might not rescue him for a few day.
Youtube song: Tom Petty Free Fallin
This is where Brian drank the water from the lake.
This is Brian's old english teacher, Mr. Perpich
Brian will never exists back to the city if he'll ever survive in the wilderness.
sample paragraph 6
1. Finding a perfect overhang and gathering the materials to enclose the lean-to, Brian realizes the gravity of his weakness and hunger.
2. He decides he must seek out food and compares the customary facility of finding food with the challenge of his current situation.
3. Still dwelling on his parents' divorce, he decides he will tell his father "The Secret" as soon as he returns home.
4. Brian finds some unfamiliar bright red berries to eat, which turn out to taste very bitter. However, left with little choice, he eats them until the pangs of hunger subside.
5. Since Brian has no matches he must think hard about how to start a fire. For now, he works to improve his shelter by interweaving sticks into the walls, Although he feels sick from eating too many berries, and sleep nonetheless comes to him.
Youtube song: Billy Joel We Didn’t Start the Fire
This is the part where brian realize the hunger is upon him.
Since Brian taste these berries, it taste bitter.
This is where Brian was thinking about how to start a fire.
Hatchet Quotes and Infomation
“He did not know how long it took, but later he looked back on this time of crying in the corner of the dark cave and thought of it as when he learned the most important rule of survival, which was that feeling sorry for yourself didn't work. It wasn't just that it was wrong to do, or that it was considered incorrect. It was more than that--it didn't work.”
― Gary Paulsen, Hatchet
“He could not play the game without hope; could not play the game without a dream. They had taken it all away from him now, they had turned away from him and there was nothing for him now...He was alone and there was nothing for him.”
― Gary Paulsen, Hatchet
“When he sat alone in the darkness and cried and was done, all done with it, nothing had changed. His leg still hurt, it was still dark, he was still alone and the self-pity had accomplished nothing.”
― Gary Paulsen, Hatchet