SME eBlast: 11/14/21
Important announcements from the SME Principal, PTA and AFB!
Principal Lewis' Sunday Update for the week of 11/15/21
Sunday Call for week of November 15th, 2021
Good evening Sierra Madre Families, this is Mrs. Lewis, your principal. We are in our final week before our Thanksgiving Break. Please take a moment and talk to your kiddo(s) about what you are thankful for. I am thankful to be back at school and see all of those smiling eyes. Thank you!
Here are the announcements for this week:
Monday, November 15th we will have our BRAVO morning assembly starting at 7:50am. We will also be doing our K-2 Spotlight Awards. If you received an email from Geannie, please come to the top field gate on Hermosa at 7:45am. Also, Monday at 8:30am, I will be hosting Coffee+Tea+Me on the front grass. Come grab a coffee, or tea and a snack provided by PTA, and hear updates on COVID-19 vaccinations and quarantine and travel updates.
Tuesday, November 16th our ELAC committee will meet virtually at 9am. This parent group discusses important school next steps for all of our 2nd language learners. Please join us using this link. Then at 5:30pm, we will have a Parent Café called, "What's on your plate?". This virtual event is to help relieve stress for you! Join us virtually using the link on the flyer below.
Wednesday, November 17th we will have a SSC meeting at 4pm. We will continue talking about budget and planning for academic and social-emotional support for students this year. Please join using this link.
Friday, November 19th our 4th graders will be putting on their Spotlight Show out on the playground for 4th grade parents at 8:15am. If you are a 4th grade parent, please meet at the field gate at 8:10am to watch your kiddo perform. If you are not able to make it for the live show, we will be recording a show to send out electronically. Friday is also Playday, with the theme Sports. Your kiddo can bring a non-electronic toy and dress up in their favorite sports gear for their extended recess.
Diverse Bookroom Read Alouds
Please check out Mrs. Richey reading Beyonce, Shine your Light, by Sarah Warren for our diverse bookroom read aloud this week.
This is the final Week of our Food Drive. Please drop off all food items at the Sierra Madre Fire Station by Thursday, Nov 18th.
Restaurant Night is this Friday at Corner Bakery. See details in the SMORE.
SEED is recognizing Native American Heritage Month! Join SEED at their monthly meeting, the last Monday of every month or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SEED is planning its first social on Sunday, December 5th, to celebrate multicultural holidays through games and activities! More information in the SMORE.
Thank you to 48% of our school - that's 227 families - who have donated to support SME's funding needs! "All in for Fall" runs until Dec. 18, so it's not too late to make your family's contribution. And there's still a few Pop It's left for students of donating families! Donate today at tinyurl.com/smeafb2022.
For more event information, please be sure to visit our school website at sme.pusd.us
We are excited to see all of our students tomorrow morning at SME where we launch our journey of nurturing learners, and growing leaders.
And now, for this week’s riddle. I have a tail and a head, but no body. What am I? Don’t forget to check the very bottom of my SMORE for the riddle answer.
Also, check out the SMORE for all of the specific details and links.
Please continue to stay healthy and safe! Bye Bye!
Sibling and Priority Registration ends tomorrow!
Please check out this reminder letter about open enrollment.
- Sibling & Priority Registration for Fall 2022 ENDS this Monday, November 15th at 4PM.
- Applications for eligible families are online: https://schoolchoicepusd.com/ .
- Families may call the Office of Enrollment (626)396-3639 or visit pusd.us/enrollment for more information.
- If a student is already enrolled in grade K or above and will continue at the same school/program for the following school year 2022-2023, no action is needed.
COVID Testing at SME
COVID Screening and Testing at SME
Screening Questions Daily before coming to school
- Do I have a fever?
- Do I have a cough?
- Am I experiencing shortness of breath or difficulty breathing?
- Am I experiencing any other symptoms?
- Have I been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 10 days?
- In the last 10 days, have I been directed to quarantine, isolate or take a COVID-19 test?
How and Where PUSD Students and Employees Can Get Tested
PUSD offers COVID-19 PCR oral or nasal swab tests on campuses and at the District’s Primary Clinic, 8 a.m. - 3:30 pm. By appointment, please call (626) 396-3600, ext 88180
On PUSD campuses(SME) weekly testing, on Thursdays starting in September, is available for ALL students and staff.
Register for testing on the Color system here:https://home.color.com/covid/sign-up/start?partner=19648816021737students
We are holding at 84% of students registered.
STEPS to follow if you get a POSITIVE COVID test result
1. Immediately isolate from all others(family, school, sports, after-school enrichment and daycare)
2. Contact Mrs. Lewis/Ms. Rupp to notify POS results
3. Expect a phone call/contact from Health Department for specific information and quarantine next steps
4. Receive a short-term independent study agreement from SME
5. Complete assigned school work, if feeling well
6. Call and/or contact school/teacher if any questions
Updates from Health Programs
Pfizer Vaccinations for 5 – 11 year olds:
· Following this week’s CDC recommendation, we are finalizing our plans with the Pasadena Public Health Department to provide pediatric COVID-19 vaccinations for children ages 5 - 11. It is our goal to offer opportunities for the first dose before Thanksgiving and the second dose three weeks later which will allow our students to be fully vaccinated before they return from winter break.
· PUSD will partner with PPHD to host 3 pediatric clinics in November for first dose and two pediatric clinics in December for second dose for kids 5 – 11 only. Dates and times will be announced through the Superintendents Monday message. The locations of the clinics are Ed Center, Willard/Wilson, and Madison. Appointments will be first come first served and completed through myturn.ca.gov. We will hold a small amount of appointments for walk up patients.
- At this time, PUSD is not requiring vaccinations for any student.
- The previous email that went out to all families was letting you know that PUSD will offer locations for families interested in getting the vaccination.
Pfizer Vaccinations for 12 – 17 year olds:
· Vaccination appointments for 12 and older individuals can be accessed through myturn.ca.gov. Locations included:
o CHAPCare clinic in Santa Anita Mall, appointments or walk ins 626.398.6300
· Weekly school site testing will continue. We are working through adjustments in the schedule when there are holidays and shortened days. SME will test on Monday, Oct. 8 this week, due to the holiday on Thursday.
· On November 27 will host a drive through testing clinic from 9:00-2:00pm at the Ed Center, Oak Knoll parking lot. This is a pre-entry screening after vacation for students and staff.
Quarantine and Notifications:
· Now that elementary students are eligible for vaccinations, we will revise the quarantine letters for close contacts.
Governor Newsom’s Executive Order can be found here. This will be further discussed on Monday.
PTA Announcements & Flyers
SME PTA Thanksgiving Food Drive - Monday, November 8
Thanksgiving Food Drive - Donation Deadline is this Thursday!
Our annual SME PTA Thanksgiving Food Drive started Monday, Nov 8 and will run through this Friday, Nov 19, 2021 (Food donation deadline is Nov 18). Please help to make a difference by joining us in collecting non-perishable food items. Each classroom will be sponsoring two families this year-one family in our school community and one family at our sister school, Madison. Suggested food donations include canned meats, soups, chili, vegetables & fruits; dried pasta & beans; peanut butter, cooking oil, 100% fruit juice, cereal & oatmeal, etc. Check with your room parents on how you can sign up to help donate items.
We are excited to be partnering with Sierra Madre Fire Department and SM Thrives again this year. Food donations should be dropped off in the collection box at Sierra Madre Fire Department.
In addition, our PTA gladly accepts monetary donations and grocery store gift cards. Please drop monetary donations off at SME.
Finally, if you are interested in receiving a food basket or require more information please contact Principal Lewis.
Your donations will help ensure that all of our SME and Madison families have a Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you for your support!
Coffee, Tea & Me -- Tomorrow, Nov 15 @ 8:30am
Join Principal Lewis on the front lawn of SME to hear all of the latest updates about what's happening at our school. Coffee, Tea and pastries will be served. Please wear a mask.
Restaurant Day/Night This Friday @ Corner Bakery
Pick up lunch for yourself or dinner for the family at Corner Bakery on Nov 19th, and 15% of proceeds will go to SME! If ordering online, use code: 659, if ordering on the phone or in person, tell them you are supporting SME PTA.
SEED is recognizing Native American Heritage Month! Please check out the November SEED Resource Guide for valuable information about Native American history and heritage. SEED encourages everyone to celebrate Native American history and heritage all year long.
SEED is planning it’s first parent group social! Mark your calendars for Sunday, December 5th! SEED will be putting on a holiday winter social. Come to this voluntary event to celebrate multicultural holidays through games and activities! For more information please check out the flyer in this week’s S'more.
Want to get involved with SEED? Catch our meeting the last Monday of every month or email SEED at email@example.com
Annual Fund Boosters(AFB)
Thank you to 48% of our school - that's 227 families - who have donated to support SME's funding needs! "All in for Fall" runs until Dec. 18, so it's not too late to make your family's contribution. And there's still a few Pop It's left for students of donating families!
All funds raised go directly toward our school's programs and staff, including Music Teacher, Library Coordinator, Behavior Aide, Specialists in Visual Art, Theatre, Dance, PE, Coding and STEAM programs, Community Assistant and Recreation/Noon Aides.
Donate today at tinyurl.com/smeafb2022.
Parker Anderson Classes start this week, November 15th!
Diverse Book Read Aloud
Mrs. Richey(1st Grade Teacher)
Book Title: Beyonce, Shine your Light by Sarah Warren
Mrs. Lewis' Riddle
Answer: A coin