Mrs. Gardner's News & Reminders
August 18th * Fall 2013 * Vol. 1
First Deadline Complete ~ For 18 Week Schedules
I am aware that some students have special accommodations through our support department. For these, I am still required to enter the zeros after the due date. Grades will be replaced upon completion of work, per the accommodations for each student.
This rule applies for late work as well. Zeros are entered after the due date. As late work is turned in, the late grade will replace the zero. Please refer to the late work policy further down in this email for more information.
Please reply to my welcome email and give me your most up to date email and phone number. Thanks!
My Welcome Adobe Chat
You can watch this video to learn more about my course, learn how to navigate the course, and find answers to some commonly asked questions. This session contains a LOT of valuable information.
First Order of Business for New Students - the SOC (Student Orientation Course)
The following items are required for the completion of the Student Orientation Course (SOC):
· students complete all sign off
· students complete all agreement quizzes
· students make a 100% on the final Student Orientation Quiz.
- Students may choose to opt out of the Student Orientation Course; however, students who elect to opt out of the Student Orientation Course are still responsible for all content presented in the course.
Students must finish or opt out of the SOC before gaining access to the course. Students will not gain access to the course until the first start date or one workday after the semester has begun on August 5, 2013.
Students will select a start date of August 5, August 19, September 2, or September 16. Regardless of the start date, the course ends December 6, 2013. Student work is due bi-weekly on Fridays at midnight. Check course schedules for specific due dates. Work turned in after the deadline on the course schedule will be accepted within 1 week with a late penalty assessed. Late penalty begins on Saturday and is deducted at a rate of 10% of the assignment value per school day. Work submitted on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday is considered 1 day late.
Important Parent Information - How to Check Your Child's Grade
The Parent Account gives you information about your child’s grades and progress in their course. If your child’s grade drops below a 75, you will receive an automated phone call. If your child’s grade drops below a 70, you will receive a phone call from me.
If you already have a parent account please do NOT create a new one.
1) Please check to see that your parent account is linked to your student’s account.
2) For more information click Help on the Log in page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
If you are uncertain about whether you have a parent account or not,
1) Log in to GAVS at www.gavirtualschool.org and at the Log In page type in your username and password.
2) For more information click Help at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
*Information for parents who have NEVER created a parent account.
1) Login to our website www.gavirtualschool.org
2) Click the “Log In To GAVS” icon
3) Click “Create An Account” from the navigation bar.
4) You will need to know your child’s GTID and date of birth.
5) Please follow the directions on the screen.
6) Be sure you have linked your parent account to your student’s account.
7) For more information simply click HELP at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
Mrs. Gardner's Course Navigation Video
D2L Help Sessions - Learning Online Course Navigation
Georgia Virtual School will have D2L Help Sessions for students and parents on Adobe Connect on the following dates:
Tuesday, August 20 at 11AM
Thursday, August 22 at 7PM
Tuesday, September 3 at 11AM
Thursday, September 5 at 7PM
Tuesday, September 17 at 11AM
Thursday, September 19 at 7PM
You will join by entering the meeting as a Guest. Your username is your first and last name. Here is the link to join each D2L Session:
The space for each session is limited. We ask everyone to join the session using only ONE computer at your home. If the session is full, the recording will be posted within the learning management system and you will have an opportunity to review the recording OR attend another upcoming meeting. The schoolwide D2L meetings are separate from individual Welcome sessions held by each teacher. Please plan to attend the meeting with your teacher as well. Your teacher will notify you about the date of that meeting.
Other Helpful Sessions
Open House - Thurs. Aug. 15, Thurs.-Sept.5 at 7 pm - General Information about GAVS.
Parent Night - Monday, Sept. 9 - Specific Information for parents whose students are currently enrolled with GAVS, i.e. how to access parent auditor account.
Turnitin.com - Learn about Plagiarism in the Online Classroom
Wednesday, August 21st at 7:00PM
Doing Your Work with Google
Have you ever wished that you could take your work with you wherever you go? Use Google and you can! Check out the link below that explains how to use Google Tools. You have this available through your GAVS email address. You can create your documents, presentations, etc. in Google, then access it wherever you are. So, you could start it at school and finish at home, or vice versa. It is also a great way to keep up with work, especially if you have a computer crash, power outage, etc. Google saves the work for you!
Late Work Policy
Technical difficulties are not an excuse for assignments to be late. Students must have computer access to complete GAVS work. It is the student’s responsibility to secure backup computer options when technical difficulties arise. Many public libraries offer computers with Internet access. Additionally, GAVS courses can be accessed on a variety of mobile devices so it may be that a mobile device could be used to complete some coursework when there are computer problems.
*If you are a special education student and would like GAVS to consider making accommodations for you, please fax a copy of your IEP or 504 Plan to 770-357-3704. If you do not have a copy, please contact your facilitator.
Please be aware of the pacing guide and due dates for all assignments. Extensions past the last day of school will NOT be granted. All student work is due biweekly on Fridays at midnight. Check course schedules for course assignments and specific due dates. Work turned in after the deadline on the course schedule will be accepted within 1 week with a late penalty assessed. Late penalty begins on Saturday and is deducted at a rate of 10% of the assignment value per school day. Work submitted on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday is considered 1 day late.
Late Work Policy Example: David turns in an assignment at 3:15 pm on Sunday. He scores a 7 out of 15 on the assignment. David will lose 1.5 points on this assignment (15 * .10) and the score recorded in the grade book is 5.5/15. A note should be made in the grade book detailing the late work deduction.
Phone Calls & Reminders
Additionally, I will be using Remind101 to send out text updates. If you would like to receive these, please follow the directions below. Parents and students can enter a number.
Text the number:
With the message: (choose the code for the class you are taking)
Emailing Me - A Few Tips
Be sure that you email me from your GAVS address.
Be sure that you have followed the directions for Google Mail, located on the GaVS Homepage. This will ensure that you receive all of my emails and updates.
Students & Parents,
Please include your full name (parent & student) AND the course of enrollment, as well as a good contact number. This is small detail, but a very important one! This is the best way to ensure speedy answers and communication. Watch the demo below. Thanks!
9th Grade AB
Check Out These Images
Weekly Synchronous Sessions - Mondays @ 7:00
I will, from time to time, host a specific session that includes a lesson. The recorded sessions will be posted in the user links section of the course.
You are encouraged to attend all sessions, but not required to do so.
Keep my phone number & email address in a place that is easy to reach. If you have a special circumstance, please let me know. Here are some situations that might merit an immediate contact:
* Medical situation (hospitalization, extreme sickness, injury): Contact me BEFORE a due date if you have been too sick to complete work. Please note that a note from the doctor may be required to authorize any extensions for sickness.
* Technology emergency: Please notify me BEFORE a due date if you experience a technology issue. If you lose power, get kicked out of a test, have a computer crash, or other extreme situation, please let me know immediately. We understand that these things happen, but also expect students to have a back-up plan for technology issues. Plan to use a computer at school, the library, a friend or family member's computer, etc.
* General Assignment/Course Questions: These are best answered by email, but feel free to call me as well.