Week of January 4th -8th, 2021
This Week at Academy of St. Benedict
Welcome back! We hope that you had a joyous Christmas and a happy and safe New Year. We all have great hope and faith that 2021 will bring us a better year moving toward normalcy.
This week and next week are e-learning weeks. The rationale for these two weeks being remote is so all students and school staff can quarantine after the holidays and return safely to the building on 1/19. Students are to follow their class schedule as designed by their teachers. The assigned work and Zoom calls are required of all students.
Junior high students will receive midterm progress reports on January 13th.
Join me on the school's Facebook page at 8 AM each school morning for prayer and announcements. On Tuesday at 10 AM, I am doing a very special Facebook Live Story Time reading The Three Wise Men, A Christmas Story, and making a paper plate crown. Students will need a paper plate, scissors, markers or crayons, glitter glue, and/or stickers.! Please "share" the event on your Facebook page! This is open to everyone!
We are asking ALL families to complete this survey regarding the return to face-to-face instruction. Please complete it as soon as possible, Wednesday the 6th at the latest.
We return to in-person instruction on Tuesday, January 19th. Please remember that students who have traveled must have a 2 week quarantine period before returning to the building. That means families must be back in Illinois by January 4th to return to our building on the 19th. The list of states to which this applies is here. During this remote period, if your child contracts COVID or is quarantined due to close contact, please let me know directly. We do need to report this information.
As you look to the building reopening on January 19, 2021, please make plans to not send students to school in any part of the orange PE uniform. It was retired two years ago. All students should be in their light blue PE uniforms on the appropriate days. The crew neck sweatshirt can be worn over the polo on cold days. Also, students must be in uniform every day. We have the polo shirts in the school building available for $10/each. Martinelli's on 95th in Evergreen Park sells the gym uniform.
This week the office will be open between 8 AM - 2 PM. Please call if you need to come to the building and set-up an appointment.
SAVE THE DATE - Tax Credit Scholarship Applications!
January 12th - 8AM - Big Shoulders Fund Applications: https://www.bigshouldersfundsgo.org/apply
January 13th - Empower Illinois: 6:30 PM enter info in preparation: 7 PM - application opens for time stamp.
At St. Benedict, 52 students have tax credit scholarships! It's a wonderful program helping many families. Families must apply each year and everyone has the same chance - it's all about how fast you can apply!
Tips for Successful e-Learning
- Have a designated space for school work, ideally a table/desk.
- Be ready to begin instruction at 8 AM daily -join me on the school's FB page!
- Have all supplies for the day at the workspace.
- Participate in class Zooms by asking questions.
- When not speaking on Zoom, be on mute.
- Reach out to teachers when there is a question.
- Stick to the daily schedule designed by the teacher.
Please discourage eating and drinking near the school owned Chrome Books and Tablets.
Thank you for staying on schedule with tuition payments. For families with separate extended day charges, adjustments will be made.
For families having difficulty, please call the office to speak with Ms. Murphy and Mrs. Farrand.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES!
- January 4th- January 18th- ALL students e-learn
- January 6th - Survey completed: Click here
- January 12th - 8 AM Big Shoulders Application - Be ready at 7:55 AM
- January 12th -School day starts at 8:45 AM with morning prayer on Facebook.
- January 13th - 6:30 PM Empower Illinois Application reservation.
- January 13th - Junior High Midterms are sent home.
- January 15th - Professional Development day - NO SCHOOL/E-Learning today
- January 18th - Dr. Martin Luther King's Birthday - NO SCHOOL today
- January 19th - School building reopens for in-person learning
YouUpLift - Our Kindness Wall
Families have a 6-PAW commitment for the year. We also will accept 3 Lysol wipes, disinfecting spray, or a combination of the two for a PAW.