The Panther Post
December 2018 Monthly Newsletter
It is hard to believe we are wrapping up 2018 here at Pleasant Hill. As we close out the last month of the calendar year, we reflect on the successes we have had throughout the year. We are thankful for all the learning experiences we have had. These experiences have made us smarter and more confident in our actions since we arrived at PHS. We are looking forward to what the rest of the year holds for us. Wishing you and your family a very Happy Holiday!
Let's get ourselves into the holiday spirit by having the staff and our students dress up for the 12 days of Christmas. We will dress up to match the theme of a holiday song. Please encourage your child to join in the fun!
Here is the schedule for the last few days before break!
December 6- "Rockin Around the Christmas Tree" Wear Tree Rockin' Socks
December 7- "Mele Kalikamaka" Wear Jean, Tourist Hawaiian Shirts and Leis
December 10- "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch" Wear Green or Grinch Attire
December 11- "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" Wear Antlers (Red Nose)
December 12- "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" Wear a Santa Hat
December 13-"White Christmas" Wear White (and Christmas decorations)
December 14- "O Christmas Tree" Dress Up Like a Christmas Tree
December 17- "The Night Before Christmas" Wear Pajamas
December 18- "Deck the Halls" Ugly Christmas Sweater
December 19- "Frosty the Snowman" Wear Hats and Scarves
December 20- "Jingle Bells" Wear Bells
December 21-"Blue Christmas" Wear Blue Attire
Let's have fun as we celebrate the holiday season at Pleasant Hill!
Students from all grade levels are enjoying working with the STEM manipulatives and showing their creativity using the LEGO wall. We continue to build our supply of STEM materials in the cafeteria for student learning. Thank you to those of you who have donated!
Coach Quine has been busy with his basketball players, working hard at building those basketball skills. They have had many opportunities to engage in great competition throughout the past month. The boys are winding down the season with only a handful of games left. Please come and cheer on your Panthers for the last few games of the season.
Thanks Cafeteria Staff
New Illinois Car Seat Laws
- Don't forget, if an issue arises in the classroom with your child, please encourage your child to speak to their teacher about that issue. The next step of action would be for you as the parent or guardian to have a phone conference or conference with the teacher at school to discuss the issue that is taking place in an attempt to resolve it. If the issue still cannot be resolved, then please reach out to Mr. Pollitt, the Assistant Principal, through email firstname.lastname@example.org or give him a call at 637.6829 and he would be happy to work with you and the teacher to find a way to resolve the issue at hand.
- The cold weather has definitely arrived. Please be sure to send your child to school with a coat, hat, and gloves. Students will still be going outside for recess if the real feel temperature is 20 degrees or above. We want to be sure all children are bundled up and warm when we head outside!
- Please make every effort to have your child at school each and every day, especially during the weeks of December 10-14 and 17-21. Teachers will be administering the AimsWeb Plus benchmark testing and STAR Reading and Math tests. These tests are very important in seeing what progress your child has made so far this year at school. Therefore, we want to be sure they arrive at school on time so they can perform the best they possibly can on the tests. Thanks for your cooperation.
- Please remember how important it is to keep your child's dismissal routine as CONSISTENT as possible. If you need to make a change to your child's dismissal routine, you will need to send a written note to school. Phone calls will not be accepted. It is too difficult to keep track of where 240 students are being dismissed when changes are being made constantly throughout the day.
- If you have had a phone number, address, or email change, please call or stop in the office to update that information. This is very important in case we need to make calls to families using our automated SchoolMessenger system. If your information is not updated in our Teacherease system, you will not receive phone calls, text messages, or emails.
- Remember that HANDWASHING is the number one way to prevent the spread of germs and illness! Keep washing those hands :-)
Congratulations to Our Star Students of the Month De'Majyae Williams & Malaika Ford
Mark Your Calendars
- December 3-Boys Basketball Game @ PHS VS. Parkview 5:00
- December 4-Third Grade Field Trip to Bradley University 8:30-1:30-Family Reading Night 6:00-7:00
- December 5-Boys Basketball Game @ PHS VS. Limestone Walters 4:30
- December 6-Boys Basketball Game @ PHS VS. St. Jude 4:30
- December 7-Popcorn Friday Limit 2 Bags-NO BRIGHT FUTURES
- December 8-Breakfast with Santa 9:00-11:00 Secret Santa Shop Open
- December 10-Boys Basketball Game @ PHS VS. Holy Family 4:30-8th Grade Night
- December 10-14-Secret Santa Shop Open During Lunch Hours
- December 12-Donuts with Dad 7:30
- December 13-Junior High Quarterly Referral Free Celebration Offsite Field Trip to Rivermen Game-Winter Concert K-5 6:00
- December 14-Boys Basketball Game @ Oak Grove 5:00
- December 17-21-AimsWeb Plus Benchmark Testing & STAR Reading Testing
- December 21-Early Dismissal @ 11:30
- December 22-January 7-Winter Break No School