San Jose Back to School update
July 27, 2020
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year!
All of us at San Jose Prep are excited about finally being able to work with you again! I want to thank you again for your patience and understanding as we work on all of the possible ways to reopen school during these uncertain and ever changing times. It has certainly been a journey full of changes and new ways of doing things, but with all we do we are keeping your students as the focus and want to ensure that we do the best for them.
As we get closer to the opening of school, we will be sending information out as it gets finalized. Please review all of this newsletter as it contains lots of important information to get you started.
Welcome back to the 2020-21 school year at San Jose Prep!
School hours: 8:00a.m.-2:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday
San Jose Primary
What will August look like?
For those families that would like to remain on distance learning, they may remain there through the grading period.
For those families who choose brick and mortar, students must adhere to strict COVID safety guidelines which will include:
- masks will be required on campus
- temperature checks will be conducted every morning upon entry and throughout the school day. Any student who develops a fever will be isolated and must be picked up immediately.
- social distancing will be observed
- COVID waiver must be on file with the school before the student is able to be on campus
- Frequent hand washing
In addition, families who wish to take a brick and mortar option must also understand that if a student has one of the following, they must stay home and complete their instruction via the live stream distance learning:
In the past fourteen (14) days, have you or has someone in your home had close contact with someone who is confirmed as having COVID-19 or who have been under screening/testing for COVID-19?
A close contact is defined as a person who:
- provided care for the individual, including healthcare workers, family members or other caregivers, or who had other similar close physical contact without consistent and appropriate use of personal protective equipment OR
- who lived with or otherwise had close prolonged contact (within 6 feet) with the person while they were infectious OR
- had direct contact with infectious bodily fluids of the person (e.g. was coughed or sneezed on) while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment
Also, if a student has one or more of the following symptoms they must stay home:
- Fever or sense of having a fever
- New cough that you cannot attribute to any health condition
- New shortness of breath that you cannot attribute to any health condition
- New sore throat that you cannot attribute to any health condition
- New muscle aches (myalgias) that you cannot attribute to any health condition or that may have been caused by a specific activity (such as physical exercise)
The majority of students in grades 6th-10th follow the San Jose Prep progression plan, which lays out their classes for them. Upperclassmen who need to make elective choices have already been contacted by Student Services staff via email to make elective choices. If you are a Junior or a Senior who has not received the email, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to give your preferential electives. We will make every effort to accommodate your request, but they are not guaranteed.
To sign up for a Chromebook and for a pick up time, please complete the following form by Friday, July 31: https://forms.gle/z7F9ZWgq7t5Xy4E8A
Distance learning or brick and mortar?
DO NOT go to Duval Homeroom to sign up for the distance learning option- our survey is how you sign up at San Jose.
We need everyone to complete this information by Friday, July 31.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact our Dean of Students at email@example.com
Student email addresses
For instructions on how to create a parent Focus account, go to https://dcps.duvalschools.org/Page/15745
When you have completed your application for an account, email firstname.lastname@example.org in order to have your account activated.
Once you have created the account, please allow 48 hours for activation.
Having difficulties? Please contact email@example.com for assistance.
There are 2 ways to purchase uniforms:
- You may walk in and purchase uniforms at the store. The store is open Monday-Friday from 8am-4pm
- You may order online at https://www.sanjoseprep.org/school-uniform/ and do curbside pickup at our school store
School uniforms for 2020-21 will be:
Middle school: royal blue polo, gray hoodie
High school: black polo, black hoodie
High school students who have the previous school uniform may wear them as we phase in the new high school look.
We ask that during virtual instruction students wear uniform shirts in order to ease the transition once we fully return to school.
For more details on school uniform guidelines, please visit our website: https://www.sanjoseprep.org/school-uniform/
Clubs and sports
We will be releasing a list of clubs at the beginning of the school year and have a virtual club fair for students. Clubs that choose to host some meetings in person are required to observe all the COVID safety guidelines.
Athletics will also continue using the FHSAA's strict COVID-19 guidelines for participation.
Forms required for participation in athletics can be found at https://www.sanjoseprep.org/athletics/
For questions about athletics, please contact our athletic director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Save the date!
Orientation is planned for Thursday, August 6 at 6:00 p.m. Details coming soon!