The Ticehurst/Flint Newsletter
The Week of March 17-21
THERE'S A LOT TO LOOK FORWARD TO!!!
*THE GUIDANCE FOCUS FOR MARCH IS RESPECT*
THE NEW DATE FOR THE MATH DISTRICT ASSESSMENT IS MARCH 20TH!!! PLEASE CONTINUE TO STUDY YOUR GUIDE AND COMPLETE PROBLEMS- IT IS DUE ON THE DAY OF THE TEST!
March 17th- 4th 9-Weeks Begins; St. Patrick's Day- wear green!!!
March 18th- Chick-fil-A Night (Special Education & 1st Grade hosting)
March 17th-26th- McGowen Student Art on Display at MISD Administration Building (more info below!!!)
March 19th- 3rd 9-Weeks Report Cards viewable in HAC- printed copies go home ONLY at parent's request
March 20th- First day of spring
March 21st- Lost and Found Items Donated; Watch Me Sculpt 3:10-4:10 pm *The Watch Me Sculpt company will be coming on Friday's offering after school art lessons using clay. This is not being sponsored by McGowen or PTA, this is a private company coming in to offer this.*
March 22nd- GT Testing for 4th & 5th grades
March 26th- Art Reflections 3:10 pm; Teacher of the Year Reception 3:15 pm
March 28th- Watch Me Sculpt 3:10-4:10 pm
UPCOMING STAAR TESTING DAYS:
APRIL 1ST- 4TH GRADE WRITING DAY 1, 5TH GRADE MATH
APRIL 2ND- 4TH GRADE WRITING DAY 2, 5TH GRADE READING
APRIL 22ND- 3RD & 4TH GRADE MATH
APRIL 23RD- 3RD & 4TH GRADE READING, 5TH GRADE SCIENCE
Please avoid scheduling appointments on testing days. We will be a closed campus on testing days. Visitors and/or volunteers on will not be allowed on campus these days (see below).
Monday, April 28th- Students #16-21
Tuesday, April 29th- Students #11-15
Wednesday, April 30th- Students #6-10
Thursday, May 1st- Students #1-5
McGowen Student Art on Display THIS WEEK!!!
The Youth Art Month celebration for McGowen is the month of March. McGowen will have a display at the McKinney ISD Administration Building from March 17-26. If your student has a piece of art on display you will be receiving an invitation to come view it at the reception on Thursday, March 20th from 6:30-7:30pm. However, everyone is welcome. Congratulations to all of our Maverick artists!
Visitors and/or Volunteers
- MISD requires every visitor/volunteer to report to the office to be signed in with a software system called V-Soft (commonly known as Raptor). A valid state or government issued photo ID must be presented each time you visit, volunteer, or pick up a student. Please be prepared with your ID upon arrival.
- MISD requires that volunteers complete a background check each school year. If you plan to volunteer anywhere in the building or chaperone a field trip, please complete the required volunteer application on MISD's website:
MISD Community Folder
In an effort to cut down on the amount of paper coming home to you, the district has created The Community Folder.
The Community Folder is the electronic communications where school related, non-school related and non-profit organizations post their information that may be of interest or benefit of students and parents.
We have placed a link in the Quick Links section of our newsletter for easy access. Please check the folder as the district is continually updating and adding new information.
McGowen PTA Needs You! We are currently in the process of creating our PTA board for next year, and have many opportunities for people to get involved. Please contact Kimberly Johnson or Michelle Hellquist for more information on the following positions.
Open Board Positions for 2014-2015
- 1st VP Membership - This person is in charge of getting people signed up for PTA, reporting those numbers to TX PTA, and publishing a directory of McGowen PTA members
- 2nd VP Fundraising - This person is in charge of organizing the PTA fundraisers that we do throughout the year.
- 5th VP Volunteers - This person is in charge of coordinating volunteers for school events throughout the year.
- Parliamentarian - This person is in charge of making sure that the PTA follows the rules and assists the president when running meetings.
- Historian (Finances) -This person would help keep track of purchases and 5th grade dedications, and handle deposits.
- Legislative/Council Rep - This person is responsible for attending the McKinney PTA council meetings and reporting back to the McGowen board.
- Healthy Lifestyles - This person would attend the McGowen wellness committee meetings and report back to the board.
Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/mcgowenpta
McGowen PTA President
McGowen PTA Secretary
YEARBOOKS ON SALE NOW!!!
YEARBOOK * YEARBOOK*YEARBOOK
The McGowen Elementary 2013-2014 Yearbook is on sale now.
Once in smart pay, search McKinney Texas on the right hand side of the screen and McGowen Elementary will be listed.
Click on McGowen Elementary and reserve yours today. Books will be delivered to your student in May.
For questions contact Amanda Collinsworth at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Writing: Expository & Personal Narrative
Social Studies: Historical Fiction
Math: Measurement & DA Review- PLEASE CONTINUE TO STUDY YOUR GUIDE AND COMPLETE PROBLEMS- IT IS DUE ON 3/20, THE SAME DAY AS THE TEST!
Science: Weather & Atmosphere
ALL STUDENTS should also be utilizing iStation, Think Through Math, & Discovery Education at home!!!!!