The Spartan Standard
Creating Coherent Systems That Promote Learning For All
Our Mission: Why We Do The Right Thing
- Academic rigor across the curriculum fostering lifelong intellectual curiousity
- A climate of respect, fairness, equality, and security promoting individual confidence and responsibility
- A culture of collaboration between school, family, and community
- A proactive network of student support
- Exciting, unprecedented opportunities for student involvement
- Creative and artistic expression
- State of the Art Technology
Something to Think About
Mary Rose's Schedule (Subject to Change)
Monday, April 20: PLC Collaboration; WASC Visit
6:45 Coffee & Informal Staff Meet & Greet with WASC Visiting Committee (VC)
7:30 Classroom visits
1:50 Focus Group A (Organization) Mtg. with WASC VC @ New Library
3:30 WASC VC Mtg. with Leadership Team @ Learning Lab
Tuesday, April 21:
6:45 WASC VC Mtg. with Leadership Team @ Learning Lab
7:30 Classroom Visits
12:00 AVID Team Mtg. @ Rm. 1807
4:15 WASC VC Mtg. with Leadership Team @ Learning Lab
5:00 CV Mayors office (Honor MA)
Wednesday, April 22:
6:45 WASC VC Mtg. with Leadership Team 2 Learning Lab
11:00 WASC VC working lunch meeting with Leadership Team @ Learning Lab
2:50 WASC VC Report to Staff, Students & Community @ PAC
Thursday, April 23: SBAC (11th Grade classes); Special Schedule Periods 0,1,3,5,7
9:00 Principal Mtg. @ PDC
4:30 Filipino School @ Filipino School Site
Friday, April 24: SBAC (11th Grade classes); Special Schedule Periods 0,2,4,6,7
9:45 Classroom visits
3:00 Softball vs. MVH
3:30 JV Baseball vs. SYH
7:00 The Show
Saturday, April 25:
8:00 Saturday School
Sunday, April 26:
12:00 Filipino School Launch
6:00 Ben Vereen Awards @ Balboa Theater
Online Registration Begins
Monday, April 27: PLC Collaboration
7:30 Classroom visits
1:40 PLC Collaboration
Tuesday, April 28: Reverse Minimum Day; CST; Performance Task Discussion
8:00 Teacher Mtg.
3:00 Graduation Speeches @ Rm. 1842
Wednesday, April 29: SBAC (11th Grade classes); Special Schedule Periods 0,1,3,5,7
3:30 Girls Lacrosse vs. OHS
Thursday, April 30: SBAC (11th Grade classes); Special Schedule Periods 0,2,4,6,7
7:00 Classroom visits
Friday, May 1:
3:00 JV Softball vs. SUH; Baseball vs. MVH
Saturday, May 2:
8:00 Saturday School
Principal's Honor (Roll) Wall
Kudos, Thanks, and Transitions
- I have been remiss! Congratulations to Jaimme Jones who became a Mom in February! Baby Jenna Elaine Jones was born February 5 and weighed 8 pounds and 8 ounces. Jaimme and Baby are home and enjoying their time together.
- The Girls and Boys Soccer Teams will be honored by the Board of Trustees on Monday, April 27 for their CIF and State Championships, respectively. Congratulations again, to Coach Wayne Brewton and Coach Ruben Oliveira.
- Thank you to the US History and English 11 teachers who have been administering the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) to our juniors. Thank you to all for your flexibility in planning for block schedule to allow our students the maximum time to take this very important test. Though the API criteria was postponed another year, results of this test will be given to students and schools. And yes, the results of this test will figure in, somehow, into our accountability system. Kudos to Alain Garnica-Mendoza and Eric Christensen for ensuring the technology works. Special thanks to DiAnne Cabe, Hilda Bender, and Jaye Leigh for their assistance in triple checking the technology.
- Kudos to Tony Atienza for hosting The Southern California Show Choir Invitational last Saturday. There were 17 schools that came to compete.
We will continue to deepen the implementation of our initiatives. As we walk through, we will give feedback on one of the following:
- Use of Academic Language by students in speaking and writing
- Structured Student Conversations
- Monday: How is the time used to support/enrich student learning experiences?
With Focus Group meetings occurring during PLC time, please do the best you can in continuing PLC work, even though not all members may be present.
- Please work on the agenda that you had agreed upon based on your last PLC collaboration.
- A reminder that everyone is expected to stay on campus until the end of the PLC time. Thank you for your professionalism.
- Please consult the handout given during the Pre-Service days if you need clarification on PLC tasks and products. In terms of Unit Planning, the instructional guides should serve as your guide. You will be given D/F reports for results analysis and intervention planning. It is a great use of PLC time to plan for the administration, calibration, and results analysis of the District Performance-based task that was released recently.
- Minutes and products should be uploaded to our CANVAS page. Please see your Curriculum Coach for assistance, if needed.
Thank you for your engagement and hard work!
For The Common Good
- WASC Visit: Our Visiting Committee (VC) are here! Please give them a warm welcome when they visit your classes. There is a meet and greet with them on Monday, April 20, starting at 6:45 AM until 7:20 at the Learning Lab. Please come by and take the opportunity to meet them. And good news! We were loaned 8 master keys for their use. However, please continue with our safety plan practice of keeping your doors in the locked position and using the magnets to keep your doors accessible. It was awesome to see this practice last week in action!