with Mrs. Drayton
Dutch Fork Elementary The Academy of Environmental Sciences, Title I
VIP Folders & Reminders
- weekly work
- report cards
- Tag of Honor, tomorrow 11/2 @ 10:05
- Affixes Week 8 Quiz, tomorrow 11/2
- Veteran's Day Parade 11/9 @ 8:30
- Affixes Week 9 Quiz 11/9
- Camp Gravatt Field Trip Reschedule to 11/19
Responding to Texts Checklist
- I included my own thinking
- I included evidence that supports my thinking and wonderings
- I used academic language and transitions to connect my thoughts
- I explained the "so what" of my thinking---I said why it matters
The most challenging thinking for us what the "so what". However, by embracing this challenge we are definitely shifting and growing, not only as readers, but as thinkers!
Establishing Book Clubs
Also, next week we will begin our Informational Texts unit. Your readers will be able to transfer what they are learning as readers to their work as environmental scientists. Our final product will be an abstract for the Environmental Fair Project. We learn best when it serves a function in our lives. The work being down across your child's ELA & Science classes will allow them to have the necessary tools to make a difference through their work.
Preparation for our Centennial Celebration December 7
We would like to formally invite you to the upcoming DFES Centennial Celebration on Friday, Dec 7th at 6:00 p.m. Attached you will find the formal invitation. Please share this invitation with other family members and the community. Your RSVP by November 14 is greatly appreciated.
We look forward to your presence during this landmark event.
To honor our school's history we have been:
- learning about the history of segregated school's through the experience of Ruby Bridges by reading Through My Eyes
- analyzing lyrics written about Ruby Bridges by Mr. Tim O'Keefe and his class
- investigating our schools history through a timeline and the story Dear Mr. Rosenwald
- watching clips from the last year's Richlex Panel and determining themes from the stories they shared
Thank you all for the conversations you have been having at home! It is clear that our kids are excited about the stories you have shared about your own educational experiences or stories you have been told! There is a new energy about how fortunate we are to be able to learn together!