THIRD GRADE NEWSLETTER
MRS. LEMAY'S CLASS
HERE IS WHAT IS GOING ON!!
We have had a GREAT start to the school year! Listed below are some of the activities that have been going on in our classroom!
- READING--We have been working hard on building our reading stamina and studying the genres of fiction and non-fiction/informational text. We have been learning strategies that good readers do when reading these type of texts. We have also been doing BAS testing to find out students' guided reading levels! We will continue with this work and begin discussing character traits and predictions!
- WRITING--We have done a study of nouns, verbs, and adjectives as well as a Story Map study of characters, setting, problem, and solution. This was review work in preparation to begin our narrative writing. All students have their "sloppy copies" completed and our next step is our editing our narratives.
- MATH--We have been working with place value to the hundred thousands, ordinal numbers, and comparing numbers. Today we started money. We also took a beginning of the year placement test. We will be taking the unit test for Topic One the beginning of next week.
- HEALTH--We are starting our unit on safety. We are studying bus safety and will have a class on bus safety lead by the transportation staff Thursday of this week!
- Spelling--We are beginning our spelling program with some in class word work and placement tests. Spelling groups will begin Monday, October 5th.
NEWS AND NOTES
- iPads were distributed last Thursday during the students' technology class with Mrs. Bealka. iPads will be staying at school and charged at school, unless there is a circumstance where homework necessitates the use of the iPad. Please send earbuds/headphones with your child if you haven't done so already.
- Vision and Hearing Screening with be held on Tuesday, the 22nd.
- Homework sheets and directions/expectations will be sent home in the students' red Friday Folders. Be looking for it!
- We have lunch this year at 10:45. Feel free to send a healthy snack with your child for our afternoon snack break.
- MAP Math Testing is Wednesday, the 23rd, and Friday, the 25th. Reading MAP Testing is October 1st and 2nd.
- Thanks to all families for a great start to the school year!!