We Are Tamanend Together!
April 14, 2023
Central Bucks A Cappella Festival is April 22nd at Tamanend Middle School
The 12th Annual Central Bucks A Cappella Festival will be held at Tamanend on Saturday April 22nd. Throughout the day, Chieftain Chorus students and members of other select choral ensembles throughout CB will have the opportunity to work with a cappella clinicians. The day will conclude with a concert featuring the middle school groups, CB South’s Southside Acapella, and our guest artist, The Trills. If you are interested in attending the 7:00pm concert please visit the CB A Cappella Festival Website for more information and the ticket link.
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
CB A Cappella Festival at Tamanend Middle School--Saturday, April 22 at 7:00 PM (details above)
English Language Arts (ELA) PSSA Testing (for 7th and 8th Graders--Monday, April 24 to Wednesday, April 26 (details below)
Teacher Appreciation Week--Monday, May 1 to Friday, May 5 (details below)
Math PSSA Testing (for 7th and 8th Graders)--Tuesday, May 2 to Wednesday, May 3 (details below)
8th Grade Class Trip to Gettysburg--Friday, May 5
- Students playing Spring sports and bringing bags/equipment for sports are to leave them in their regular hallway locker. Anything that does not fit in those lockers can be stored in 7th Period classrooms.
- Open gyms for Boys Basketball for 8th Graders and above started Thursday, April 13 from 6:30 to 8:30 at CB South.
- Boys who are currently in 8th or 9th Grades and interested in playing soccer for CB South next year are encouraged to reach out to Coach Pettican at KPETTICAN@CBSD.ORG and provide your name, grade, and email address. Those who contact Coach Pettican will be added to South soccer’s TeamSnap account and will receive updates on summer events and tryout information for the Fall.
- On Friday April 21, the CB Titan wrestling program will be hosting a FREE Friday night sessions for all interested student grades K thru 6 for 7 whole weeks. These sessions will combine wrestling-based drills along with gymnastic style games to not only introduce the sport to your child but begin forging the basic skills of our sport into our future wrestlers. Click HERE for details.
· If you and would like to receive immediate updates on game schedules, cancellations, etc., visit Tamanend Athletics web page and become a “fan” to get alerts for your child’s team.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- 9th Graders who are playing a Spring sport at CB South: If going to a practice/game directly from school (taking the shuttle) and need to store a bag/equipment, all items are to be put in the classroom where you will be leaving from. For example…on normal days, bags go in 7th period rooms so kids can catch the shuttle; on days when leaving early for an away game, such as 6th period, bags go in your 6th period classroom. Student athletes are to pay very close attention for updates from coaches (email, Remind, text, web page, etc.). Tamanend will not make announcements each day for cancellations, schedule adjustments, etc. It is the your responsibility to know what your team is doing each day. Also, please be reminded that you are dismissed from class 10 minutes prior to your bus leaving Tamanend. Please do not request teachers to dismiss you earlier than that.
- Open gyms for boys basketball for 8th graders and above started Thursday, April 13 from 6:30 to 8:30 at CB South.
- Boys interested in playing soccer for CB South next year are encouraged to reach out to Coach Pettican at KPETTICAN@CBSD.ORG and provide your name, grade, and email address. Those who contact Coach Pettican will be added to South soccer’s TeamSnap account and will receive updates on summer events and tryout information for the Fall.
Monday, April 17
- 7th Grade Girls Soccer vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- Girls Lacrosse vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- Boys Tennis @ Lenape (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
Tuesday, April 18
- 8th Grade Baseball vs. Newtown (Home; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Girls soccer @ Tohickon (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
- Track vs. Klinger & Holland @ Klinger (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 1:00
Wednesday, April 19
- 7th Grade Girls Soccer vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
- JV Softball vs. Unami (Home; 3:15)
- Boys Tennis @ Holicong (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
Thursday, April 20
- JV softball vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Girls soccer vs. Klinger (Home; 3:15)
- Girls Lacrosse vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
- 7th Grade Baseball @ Holicong (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:15
Friday, April 21
- No Contests
Reminder--A Message For Fans Attending CB South Athletic Contests
We hope that everyone will continue to support our athletic teams during the fall season. CB South prides itself on good sportsmanship on the part of players and fans alike. Please keep the following in mind as you cheer for our teams this season:
- Middle school aged students must be accompanied by a parent.
- The use of profanity and vulgarity is unacceptable at athletic events. Please do not engage in inappropriate or demeaning chants during games. Students who do not comply with this expectation will be ejected from the games and will face disciplinary consequences. Let’s focus on supporting our team, not degrading the opposing school.
- Entering/Rushing the athletes’ area of play is prohibited and dangerous to security, teachers, spectators, and the athletes.
- Students are not permitted to bring purses, draw string bags, backpacks, food, or beverages to any athletic event in the Fall season.
- Students are prohibited from trespassing on the property of any school in the Central Bucks School District or on any property in any other school district. Damaging school property or engaging in any other activity that inconveniences the other school’s staff is strictly prohibited and will be considered vandalism, resulting in disciplinary and legal consequences. Please do not jeopardize your good standing by engaging in this type of unacceptable behavior.
- All Central Bucks School District and Central Bucks High School South’s polices apply to students at athletic events. Please be advised that coming to an athletic event under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance is not only extremely dangerous, but also violates School Board Policy 227. If a student chooses to attend a CB South athletic event while under the influence, law enforcement will be notified and a 5-day suspension will be imposed.
CB South’s Administration respectfully requests that parents monitor their child’s whereabouts and actions before athletic events at CB South. Please be aware of your child’s plans before the event, how they will safely get to the event, and how they will safely arrive home from the event.
We hope that you continue to show your enthusiasm and school spirit as we enter the fall athletic season. The Faculty and Administration at CB South has always considered your ability to support our teams in a positive and respectful manner as one of our key points of pride. Please join your classmates in continuing this proud tradition.
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
PSSA Testing for 7th and 8th Graders Begins April 24
This information provides an update to families regarding PSSA testing and scheduling in our school this year. The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires all school districts to administer PSSA testing for the 2022-23 school year. The Pennsylvania System of School Assessment is aligned with the PA Standards. The English Language Arts and Mathematics PSSAs are administered in grades 3 through 8 and the Science PSSA is administered in grade 4 and grade 8. The specific dates for the English Language Arts (online), Mathematics (paper/pencil), and Science (online) Assessments are listed below.
Tamanend Testing Schedule
English Language Arts--7th & 8th grades--Monday, April 24th--Section 1 @ 8:00AM
English Language Arts--7th & 8th grades--Tuesday, April 25th--Section 2 @ 8:00AM
English Language Arts--7th & 8th grades--Wednesday, April 26th--Section 3 @ 8:00AM
Mathematics--7th & 8th grades--Tuesday, May 2nd--Section 1 @ 8:00AM
Mathematics--7th & 8th grades--Wednesday, May 3rd--Section 2 @ 8:00AM
Science--8th Grade--Tuesday, May 9th--Sections 1 & 2 @ 8:00AM
Students learn all skills, concepts, and content necessary to take the assessment within their daily reading, writing, mathematics and science instruction. These assessments are critically important; please encourage your child to do their best. The results will be one of the measures we use as we make curricular updates and revisions. Individual performance will be one of the factors we consider when determining which students need additional support or enrichment. The data will help the district plan support for students who are not meeting the expectation of proficient on the exam. Additional information from PDE, including general information and the electronics policy, is enclosed. Each year there is a question regarding whether students must take the PSSA. A parent/guardian may choose to exempt their child from participating in the exam(s) if the tested content is found to be in conflict with their religious beliefs as per PA Code 22, Chapter 4.4. To exclude your child from taking one or more PSSA Exam(s), a parent/guardian must complete the following actions required by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE).
1. Email the School Assessment Coordinator. For our school, please email Mr. Dudley, at email@example.com, to request an appointment to view the exam(s) to determine if they conflict with your religious beliefs.
2. Report to Tamanend at the appointed time and sign the Pennsylvania Department of Education’s Confidentiality Agreement prior to viewing the exams.
3. Write a letter to the Superintendent of Schools for Central Bucks School District, Dr. Abram M. Lucabaugh, stating the specific exam(s) you want your child exempt from for religious reasons. Submit the letter to Tamanend’s Assessment Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A reminder that students need to bring a calculator on the Math PSSA testing days.
Teacher Appreciation Week is May 1 to May 5
UPCOMING TIGER'S I ENCHRICHMENT ACTIVITIES
Mandala Coloring Enrichment During Tiger's i
Origami Enrichment Activity During Tiger's i
Strategic Games Tiger’s i Enrichment Group
A Reminder About the Morning Car Line
Reminder--Tamanend Ambassador Program
We are excited to announce a new initiative that we are implementing called the “Tamanend Ambassadors” program. The purpose of the program is the help new members of the Tamanend community feel welcome and connected to our school. One component of the program involves connecting new Tamanend parents to parents of current Tamanend students. We believe that connecting new parents with current parents can make the transition to middle school smoother for students and their families. Tamanend Parent Ambassadors can help point new parents in the right direction when they have questions or are in need of resources. Here are the expectations for parents/guardians serving as ambassadors:
- Have a child currently enrolled in 7th or 8th Grade at Tamanend.
- Complete the Forms survey (link below).
- Give permission to Tamanend to provide a preferred method of communication with your assigned family (cell phone number or email address).
- Review informational Power Point about our school.
- Make initial contact with assigned family (via phone or email).
- Be willing to answer questions from your assigned family.
- Attend two ambassador social events (organized by Tamanend).
If you are interested in serving as a Tamanend Parent Ambassador, please complete this Forms survey by Friday, April 21. If you are selected as a Parent Ambassador, you will receive additional information and instructions from Tamanend.
Tamanend Students Support Community Resource Night at Barclay Elementary School
A group of Tamanend students had fun helping with the Community Resource Night at Barclay Elementary on March 30th! The Tamanend student volunteers helped to set up by organizing pantry and clothing items. The students also helped check families in for the event and played games with young children while their parents met with volunteers.
Reminder--District Art Show T-Shirts Now on Sale
We are excited to share that the 2022-2023 District Art Show T-shirts are now available for sale! This modern, comic-inspired design is a classic and perfect for school spirit days, costumes, and casual wear! All profits made from the sales will go towards selected CB student’s scholarship to continue their art education post-graduation. More importantly, your grateful art teachers will also get major bragging rights for providing the most sales. All purchases are made through MyPaymentsPlus.
Reminder--Pennsylvania Seal of Biliteracy
Reminder--7th and 8th Grade PSSA Skills Practice in Resource
7th and 8th Graders will take the PSSA exams in April. As we get closer to April, we will provide exact dates. Over the next several weeks, 7th and 8th Graders will be completing PSSA skills practices one day per week during Resource. The purpose is to practice important skills that will help students prepare for the PSSA exam and for other important assessments in classes. Practicing these important skills will help students be successful, not only on the PSSA exams but in their classes as well. Here’s how this will work:
- Once a week, Resource teachers will instruct students to complete practice questions for a specific subject area (ELA, Math, or Science). On this day, students will not have the opportunity to work with another teacher or to go to the school store during Resource. Students can check the daily announcements to find out which day of the week the practice will take place. The first PSSA skills practice will take place this coming Tuesday, February 7th.
- Students will submit their completed practice questions electronically or on paper by the end of the Resource period.
- If students finish the practice before the end of the Resource period, their teachers will ask them to put their laptop away and take out a book to read silently. Students may not take out their phones or listen to music at this time. This will help prepare students for the environment during the actual test.
- Content-area teachers (ELA, Math, and Science) will receive the completed practice. They will then review the completed practice in class a few days later.
Reminder--Order Your Tamanend Yearbook
Reminder--Are You Interested in Volunteering at Tamanend?
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on volunteer in in a Central Bucks school during the 2022-2023 school year, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to be an approved volunteer in our school. Thank you!
UPCOMING DISTRICT AND COMMUNITY EVENTS
Mike Pettine Foundation's Dream Big Rally is May 13
Reminder--Warrington Warriors Football and Cheerleading Seasons Begin August 1
Reminder--CBSD Summer Camp
Reminder--National Prescription Drug Take Back Day is April 22
Bucks County Prevention Day--May 10
CLICK HERE TO READ THE LATEST EDITION OF ROARING VOICES REVIEW (TAMANEND'S LITERARY MAGAZINE)
EARN YOUR STRIPES--TAMANEND'S SCHOOL-WIDE POSITIVE BEHAVIORAL SUPPORT SYSTEM
Tamanend Middle School empowers students to grow academically, socially and emotionally. Students, staff, and families work collaboratively to model the acronym ROAR.
Respect yourself, others, and property.
Own your behaviors.
We believe that a caring, positive school culture and learning environment foster respectful, thoughtful, appropriate, and kind citizens.
In order to operationalize our mission, Tamanend utilizes a school-wide positive behavioral intervention and support plan (SWPBIS). This plan helps us establish a social culture in which students expect and support appropriate behavior from one another— creating school environments that are socially predictable, consistent, safe, and positive. This helps to reduce problem behaviors that lead to office discipline referrals and suspensions, and to change perceptions of school safety.
This Week's ROAR Focus Area: Cafeteria
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
FROM OUR STUDENT SERVICES DEPARTMENT
- Verifications for current 7th Grade students were to be confirmed in the Parent Portal Thursday, February 16th.
- Verifications for current 8th Grade students were to be confirmed in the Parent Portal Tuesday, February 28th.
- Verifications for current 9th Grade students were posted in the Parent Portal on Friday, March 17th and are to be confirmed by Wednesday, March 29th. (If using the Parent Portal app, select the menu and go to “More”, then “Backpack” in order to view and confirm.)
- The CB South Curriculum Fair for next year's 10th Graders was held on Thursday, January 5th. CB South's Program Planning & Curriculum page contains videos from across their various departments and can help give a sense of their offerings. Paramount to the high school transition are relationships and connectedness. Tamanend and CB South counselors will continue to plan and program for relationship-building opportunities as your child transitions to high school, including the forthcoming program planning assembly with high school and middle school counselors, curriculum fair, Q&A with high school counselors during the Intervention and Enrichment time, and welcome days at the high schools. We will share more information about these exciting events soon. Please reach out to your child’s counselor for additional assistance and information as we work together to support this transition.
- MBIT’s Open House was held on Thursday, December 1st at 6:00. Please visit their website (www.mbit.org) to see all of the amazing programs that MBIT has to offer.
FROM OUR TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION DEPARTMENT
Reminder--Creating a Parent Canvas Account
Reminder--If Your Child's Laptop Screen Breaks
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Universal Free Breakfast Now Available at Tamanend
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
Reminder--Consent to Use Free/Reduced Lunch Status (Information Sharing)
CBSD is currently accepting applications for Free & Reduced Lunch. Students who qualify for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program may also qualify for a variety of needs-based assistance based on their program eligibility. Federal law requires the family’s consent before Central Bucks School District can use or share eligibility status for purposes other than the provision of free or reduced lunch. This information will only be shared if you consent to help provide needs-based assistance to your student that may be beneficial to your family. Your decision to share or not share this information will not in any way affect your eligibility status for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program; it is completely optional.
If your student(s) qualifies for the Free and Reduced School Meals Program, you will receive a notification of a document that needs your attention in the Parent Portal. The Free/Reduced Lunch Information Sharing Consent Form requests permission to use the eligibility status to qualify for various needs-based assistance and programming. You may consent for all areas listed below, decline consent to all areas, or provide partial consent. See the link below for instructions to complete this consent form.
Best wishes for a wonderful start to the school year.
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Middle School Physical Education Attire
Students are not required to purchase a CBSD issued physical education uniform; however, students will be required to change into athletic attire and sneakers to participate safely and practice good hygiene. Student attire must adhere to the dress code guidelines presented in the student handbook. CB locks will still be required to purchase to ensure personal items are secured in a locker. Locks are available for purchase on MyPaymentsPlus.
Parent Drop-Off/Pick-Up & Parking Lot Safety
If parents/guardians decide to drive students to school, please plan enough travel time to allow for safety and congestion on Stuckert Road and in our school parking lot. The speed limit in our lot is 15 mph.
Below is a map of how the student drop-off will work in our parking lot. Drop off should only happen along the sidewalk in the front parking lot up to the Main Entrance, as indicated by the yellow highlighted area on the map. For your safety and the safety of our students, please follow these directions and do not drop your student off on Stuckert Road, the Visitor's Parking area, or in the middle of the Main Parking Area.
When dropping off your child, please remember that you should MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO/OUT OF THE PARKING LOT. Please stay to the right of the parking lot, along the sidewalk, all the way up to the Stop Sign across from the Tennis Courts. Pull up as far as you can when the cars in front of you clear, and let your child out on the sidewalk. PLEASE STAY IN A SINGLE-FILE LINE WHILE IN THE PARKING LOT.
When picking up your child, please remember that YOU SHOULD ONLY MAKE A RIGHT-HAND TURN INTO THE PARKING LOT. The line of traffic will extend back toward the baseball field (Kelly Rd.). Please stay in the line of traffic and continue moving up as the car(s) in front of you move up. If we follow this procedure, all cars we be gone by 2:40.
Morning Car Line
When the weather is poor (heavy rain, low temperatures, etc.), more and more parents/guardians choose to drive their children to school. A reminder that students are expected to be in their 1st Period classes by 7:30 AM. If a child is late to school because of CBSD transportation, their tardiness will be excused. If a student is late to school because of car trouble, over-sleeping, or they are in the car drop-off line, their tardiness is unexcused. Typically, there are few cars in the drop off line from when the doors open at 7:10 until about 7:20. After 7:20, the line begins to get very long.
If you drive your child to school and the weather is poor, please consider leaving home earlier so that your child arrives to class on time.
Thanks for your assistance!
Regular School Hours
7:10: Students may be dropped off at Tamanend.
7:10--7:20*: 7th Graders wait in the Auditorium; 8th Graders wait in the Cafeteria; 9th Graders wait in Main Gym
7:20: Classrooms open to students
7:27: Reminder bell rings
7:30: First period classes begin
*Breakfast is available to students in all grades beginning at 7:10 in the Cafeteria.
Middle School Bell Schedule
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
Tamanend is committed to ensuring that every child has a positive experience at our school. We work hard to ensure that we have financial supports in place for families in need. Please be aware that we can help with the following resources:
- Food--pantry with healthy snacks and personal care items available all day outside of Guidance; meals to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office); weekend food packages to take home (students and/or parents and guardians can contact Mrs. Consoletti in the Guidance Office or Mrs. Myrtetus in the Health Office)
- Internet access
- Field trips, school supplies, fees
- Holiday gifts
If your family experiences a financial hardship, please feel free to email one of the staff members below so that we may help:
Brian Caughie (Principal) email@example.com
Kyle Dudley (Assistant Principal) firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus (Certified School Nurse) email@example.com
Jeff Klein (Guidance Counselor and Athletic Director) firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann (Guidance Counselor) email@example.com
Andrea Consoletti (Guidance Secretary) firstname.lastname@example.org
The CB Farmers Market at Barclay is Every Second and Fourth Thursday of the Month
Reminder--Need a New Backpack?
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Patti Hartz, Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Consoletti, Student Service Secretary email@example.com
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (Posted each school day morning on our website and in Canvas. Look for the “Tamanend Announcements” course. Students will self-enroll in this course during the first week of school.
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, April 20th, 9am
Tamanend Middle School
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.