By. Dylan Coburn
1. What is sustainable living? How could someone achieve sustainable living? Do you personally think you could reach sustainable living?
A. A lifestyle that attempts to reduce an individual's or society's use of the Earth's natural resources and personal resources.
B. By using water, electricity sparingly instead of in lots of quantities.
C. I think i could if i put the time and effort into it.
2. Fossil fuels vs. Renewable energy- compare and contrast the two forms of energy. Look at the cost financially to humans and environmentally to the Earth. Convince someone to conserve energy.
B. Renewable energy is generally defined as energy that is collected from resources which are naturally replenished on a human timescale, such as sunlight, wind, rain, tides, waves, and geothermal heat.
3. Recycle- what does it mean to recycle? Why should someone recycle? How long does it take for these to decompose? a. Tin Can b. Glass Bottle c. Disposable Diaper d. Wood e. Paper f. Plastic Grocery Bag g. Styrofoam Cup h. Aluminum Can i. Cotton T-shirt j. Apple Core k. Did any of these surprise you?
2. It helps the environment.
a. 50 years
b. 1 million years
c. 250-500 years
d. 10-20 years
e. 2-5 months
f. 20-1000 years
g. 500 years
h. 200-500 years
i. 6 months
j. 2 months
k. A tin can can go 50 years before being decomposed.
4. What is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch? What can we do here in Iowa to help decrease it, is it even possible?
2. Reduce your needs for plastic items.
5. Define 2 Biomes of the world, define an ecosystem found in each and explain the Biotic and Abiotic factors involved.
2. A savanna is a rolling grassland scattered with shrubs and isolated trees, which can be found between a tropical rainforest and desert biome.
6. Choose any Biome; create a food chain defining the primary producer, primary consumer, secondary consumer, tertiary consumer, quaternary consumer, herbivore, omnivore, carnivore, scavenger, and decomposer.
Flower-Moth-Spider-Grey Shrike-Shrike Thrush.
7. What are Dead Zones in the Gulf of Mexico? What causes this situation? What can be done to help stop them?
2. Caused by "excessive nutrient pollution from human activities.
8. Define Keystone Species, give 2 examples; one a top predator and one not a top predator. Explain how their absence would affect the ecosystem
An American Alligator is a Keystone Specie
Bees are Keystone Species
10. Define the following terms and give 2 examples of each a. Coexistence b. Parasites c. Mimicry d. Mutualism e. Commensalism
B. Live on other organisms
C. Imitate other organisms
D. Live together
E. Association between two organisms