The Friday Forecast
The Week Of May 8 - May 12, 2023
CHOIR SPRING POPS CONCERT!
IMPORTANT EVENTS May 8 - May 12, 2023
MONDAY - May 8
- *Periods 1-6 Regular Schedule - 8:30 am- 3:25 pm
- AP Testing: Calculus AB | Calculus BC | Computer Science Principles
TUESDAY - May 9
*Periods 3-4 & 5-6 Tutorial Schedule - 8:30 am - 3:25 pm
AP Testing: English Language & Composition | Physics C: Mechanics | Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism
WEDNESDAY - May 10
- *Periods 1-4 Collaboration Schedule - 8:30 am-2:40 pm
- AP Testing: Spanish Language and Culture | Biology
- Senior/Junior Girls Powder Puff Football Game @ 6:00 pm in the Stadium
THURSDAY - May 11
*Periods 1-2 & 5-6 Tutorial Schedule - 8:30 am - 3:25 pm
AP Testing: French | Physics 1: Algebra-Based
Powder Buff Boys Volleyball Game @ 5:00 pm in the Gym
FRIDAY - May 12
- *Periods 1-6 Regular Schedule - 8:30 am- 3:25 pm
- AP Testing: German | Music Theory | Physics 2
- 8th Grade Orientation 9:00 am in the Gym
News and Announcements
Folkorico Performs at Lunch Today!
Today we had a special Cinco de Mayo performance by our Folkorico Club during lunch. The club members showcased their remarkable talent, dedication, and hard work, bringing joy and excitement to the entire student body during their lunchtime performance. The Folkorico Club's performance was a shining example of how our students can learn from each other and celebrate diversity.
GLC STUDENTS OF THE MONTH | APRIL 2023
Class of 2023 College Commitment Shout-Out!
Let’s give a huge shoutout to our WHS C/O 2023 Seniors who have reached a major milestone in their lives by making their college commitments!
🎓 Congrats to all our Seniors as they finish out their last month of high school and begin a new chapter in life.
🐴 We are excited to see where the rest of our Mustangs commit over the next month.
🔗 Fill out the link below to receive a college commitment shutout!
ADVANCED PLACEMENT TESTING MAY 8-12
Week 2: Exams May 8-12
Week 3: Exams Make-Up May 16-19
- ALL 2023 AP Exams will be administered in schools as paper-and-pencil.
- Current Student ID is required to take the exam
- All morning exams start at 8:00 am. STUDENTS MUST BE AT THEIR LOCATIONS AT 7:15 AM.
- All afternoon exams start at 12:00pm. STUDENTS MUST BE AT THEIR LOCATIONS AT 11:15 AM.
- Students will receive a reminder email a week before the exam. Email will include tips and recommendations as well as the rules and policies. Good luck Mustangs!
- Stay Organized
- Find your exam date and time
- Review WHS Exam Schedule and Location update
- Review and understand all exam testing conditions and protocols
Advanced Drama presents "Check, Please!"
Two Senior Scholarships Available!
We have two scholarships available for you:
- Latinx Parent Alliance Scholarship: The Latinx Parent Alliance is giving out FOUR - $500 scholarships to Seniors with the intention of attending a community college or trade school. More information and the application can be located below. Turn in the application by May 10 to Mrs. De La Cruz in room Z5.
- Kenny Goodson Scholarship: The Kenny Goodson Memorial Scholarship was established to honor the life and leadership of Kenny Goodson. He valued innovation, care for people and put the needs of the students at the forefront of every decision. Recipients of this scholarship should have examples demonstrating leadership at school and in their community and showing care for others by going above and beyond to make the world around them a better place. Recipients will receive $150. CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Yearbook Distribution | Yearbooks are almost here!
- Thursday, May 18 for SENIORS only
- Friday, May 19 for ALL students.
It all happens from 3:30-5 p.m. in the MPR. Must have student ID to pick up. You may pick up for siblings. Want to buy a yearbook? Limited copies will be sold on a first come, first served basis on distribution days. $120 CASH only. Plastic covers and autograph inserts will also be sold for $2 each. Cash only.
Seniors: Moving Your Google Drive Files Before Your WVUSD Account is Deactivated
VIP Graduation Parking Spots for Sale!
Boys Basketball will be selling 35 VIP parking spots for graduation day. Please see the attached flyer or Mr. Khouzam in room E20 for more details. FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE! ONLY 10 SPOTS LEFT!
Audition for our Advanced Instrumental Music Ensembles!
Cheer tryouts on May 12
Sports Physicals | May 18
summer try outs for boys water polo
Purchase a Class of 2023 Graduation Lei
WALNUT VALLEY WOMEN'S CLUB Scholarship
Each year Walnut Valley Women's Club awards several college scholarships ranging in value from $500 to $1,600. Although academic achievement is important, we place emphasis on need and community involvement. DEADLINE Midnight May 5, 2023
Applicant must be:
- A graduating senior from Walnut or Nogales High School or Ron Hockwalt Academy
- Plan to attend an accredited college, vocational school or certificate program
- Show proof of enrollment in an accredited college, vocational school or certificate program to receive funds
Applicant must submit all of the following:
- 2-page personal essay (must be typed, double-spaced, 12 pt font with student name and school at top right)
- Completed WVWC Scholarship Application (Typed signature sufficient)
- Recent photograph
- Email all of the above to
- 2 letters of recommendation sent from teachers, school counselors, grade-level coordinator, or dean (must be emailed by the letter writer from an official school email provider)
- Please send a copy of your college acceptance, if applicable
Interested in a Career in the Medical Field?
SENIOR AWARDS & SCHOLARSHIPS
Class of 2023! We are trying to put together an awards program and need your help! If you have received a scholarship to the college you will attending or received an award, please send the information to email@example.com
What we need:
- the name of the scholarship and the college of attendance or
- the name of the award
ADDITIONAL GRADUATION TICKETS AVAILABLE!
CONGRATS MARQUEE GRAD SHOUTOUT!
Only 10 names per week starting in May on a first come first serve basis. Don’t miss out on your preferred week! There is a $25 donation requested and all funds go back to supporting our students and school.
Reminder: Follow our Dress Code!
It contains offensive or obscene symbols, signs, or slogans degrading any cultural, race, religious, sexual, or ethnic values.
It contains language or symbols oriented towards any form of antisocial behavior including, but not limited to, sex, sexual harassment, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, violence, and hate violence.
It contains gang or tagger crew symbols or clothing that shows gang or tagger crew affiliation.
It is considered unsafe, dangerous, or a health hazard – this includes wearing spikes, or multi-knuckle rings as an article of clothing or clothing accessories.
The student is barefoot, wearing socks only or bedroom slippers. Shoes must be worn at all times.
The student is wearing a top that does not cover their regular waistline, or clothing is worn in a manner that reveals undergarments. Tops must have a strap.
Pants or shorts are worn on or below the buttocks. The waist of the garment must be above the buttocks. Shorts, skirts, and pants should cover all personal areas.
The student is wearing sunglasses in classrooms or offices.
11th Annual Golf Tournament Fundraiser
Questions: Email www.whsmustanggolf.com or call (951) 205-4349.
2nd Annual Walnut Volleyball Golf Tournament
The Walnut High School Girls Volleyball Program will be hosting their 2nd Annual Golf Tournament on Friday, June 9, 2023 at Los Serranos Golf Club.
This event raises vital funds to support our girls volleyball program. These funds will be used to purchase much needed equipment, tournament fees, transportation, meals, and a supportive coaching staff to help them succeed on the court.
Our goal is to always provide a safe instructive environment for all of our athletes to learn and develop skills to be a better volleyball player, but more importantly, a productive member of society, as well as fielding a competitive program.
In order to continue to make this experience a reality for our program, we are reaching out directly to area businesses, family, and friends, and offering the opportunity to help by becoming a sponsor.
Included in this letter is a brochure with a variety of sponsorship packages for you to review as well as details about the tournament. All donations to our volleyball program are tax-deductible. Our Tax ID # is 95-6003446. Your support for this event will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Academic Design Program Interest Form AVAILABLE NOW!
Reporting Full Day Absences and Tardies Over 30 Mins
Students will be subject to disciplinary action when a student has been absent from class without a valid excuse. All absences must be cleared within one (1) school day after the last date of absence. The preferred method for clearing absences is via parent/guardian phone calls to the attendance office.
Parents must call the attendance office the day their student is absent as early as possible or within two school days of an absence, at the latest. Messages may also be left. Please clearly state the student's first and last name, guardian name, dates or class periods absent, and reason for the absence.
A reminder email and robocall are sent to the parent on the day of the absence. If uncleared, the office will make a courtesy call the following day.
When parents do not call within the two school days, the absences are counted as truant and referred to the GLC. We will not accept late phone calls.
Attendance Reporting Hotline:
11 & 12 Grades: 909- 444-3642
9 & 10 Grades : 909 - 444-3625
Free After School Tutoring for ALL Algebra 2 Students!
CELEBRATE YOUR CHILD'S BIRTHDAY ON OUR MARQUEE!
BIRTHDAY MARQUEE is now available! If you have a student that has a birthday coming up, be sure to make a birthday dedication on the WHS marquee! All proceeds goes to support WHS students and staff so RESERVE YOURS TODAY!
Great idea for WHS staff, teachers and Alums too!
HELP US WITH AFTER SCHOOL PICK UP!
9th GRADE (Class of 2026)
Corolar Schultz (A - LIM) firstname.lastname@example.org
Morgan Galeener (LIN-Z) email@example.com
10th GRADE (Class of 2025)
Wil Lares (A – LO) firstname.lastname@example.org
Sonia Nunez (LU – Z) email@example.com
11th GRADE (Class of 2024)
Nathan Newman (A – LI) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jenny Alegre (LO – Z) email@example.com
12th GRADE (Class of 2023)
Jennifer Tucker (A – LI) firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Jacks (LO – Z) email@example.com
ADP (Academic Design Program)
Viviana Hoyos firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer Peiten jLPeiten@wvusd.org
GLC Summer Registration Appointments are Live!
Class of 2024, 2025, 2026, and 2027 students should have received an email from their GLC via Sign Up Genius with a link to select their summer registration appointment.
Parents, please coordinate with your student your preferred date and time! Preferably, sibling appointments should be selected on the same day. Sibling appointments will not be made for you.
Registration appointments will be held from July 5 - July 28.
IMPORTANT: Student schedules will be created in June based on their course request selections. There is no benefit or drawback to selecting the first summer or last appointments; please set the appointment time that best fits your schedule. Summer appointments are to review schedules, check for scheduling mistakes, and to ensure that your student is taking the most appropriate courses for their grade level and post-secondary plans. Teacher change requests will not be honored.
Any questions? Call 909-594-1333 and leave a message. Before calling, make sure your student checks their school-issued email.
SCHOOL LUNCH POLICY
Due to many problems and safety issues we DO NOT allow student lunches to be delivered anywhere on campus.
Food, drinks or other items are NOT to be passed to students through the fence. This is strictly prohibited.
Outside Food Delivery Services such as UBER Eats/Door Dash is strictly prohibited. Food will be confiscated if deliveries are dropped off.
We understand the importance of student nutrition but we encourage students to either use the free lunch at school or bring their lunch from home.
2022-2023 RULES & EXPECTATIONS AT WALNUT HIGH SCHOOL
Parents: One thing you will notice this year are tardy or cell phone detention automated emails. If your child was issued a detention for excessive tardies or a cell phone violation, you will get an email with information on the detention they need to serve.