Lowell December Newsletter
We are proud of our pride of Lowell lions!
From Ms. Franzone...
Dear Lowell Families,
I hope everyone was able to enjoy our Fall Break. For me, it was an opportunity to gather with family and friends, enjoy some favorite foods, and take in some much-needed rest! Prior to the holiday, students were able to engage in lessons and hallway displays highlighting the histories and identities of our Native American populations.
At school, we continue to learn, play, and grow together. In November, we welcomed Ms. Martinson back to PE from her maternity leave as we thanked Mr. Naylor for his time with us! We hope to see him again soon!
As we look ahead to a snowy winter, please look for new information to come about arrival and dismissal practices, especially in the car lane. It will be more important than ever for students to be loaded and unloaded at cleared sections of sidewalk. Thank you in advance for your patience as we work to keep our students and staff safe.
Speaking of winter weather, please make sure you are sending winter gear with your students on a daily basis. If you need us to help supply some of this, students can come to the health office and get what they need. And we are always happy to take donations of winter gear, especially water-proof gloves/mittens, boots, and snowpants (and we’ll also take elastic-waistband sweatpants!). We will be heading outside even when it’s quite cold, so please help us make sure students are prepared!
We have three weeks of learning here at Lowell, and then another space of time for family and rest. Our last day of school will be December 17th, and we return on January 3rd. I extend the warmest of wishes for a healthy and happy new year to all of you.
Upcoming Important Dates
December 4-12: Lowell Virtual Craft Fair
December 6: No School - Staff Only Day
December 20-31: No School - Winter Break
January 3: School Resumes
January 17: No School - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
January 21: No School - Grade Reporting
January 24: Beginning of 3rd Quarter & 2nd Semester
Lowell Craft Fair
The annual Lowell Craft Fair will be a virtual event this year!
- The sale will run from Saturday, December 4th - Sunday, December 12th.
- This will be a Facebook event with a sharable link that anyone, on or off Facebook, will be able to access.
- 10% of vendors' total sales will go to Lowell's parent group, LCO.
If you're interested in participating as a vendor, please contact Becky Oglum at email@example.com.
Empty Stocking Club 2021
The 2021 Empty Stocking Club Toy Depot will take place December 14-15. In 2021 we look forward to returning to an in-person toy give-away event at the Alliant Energy Center. Thanks to the continued generosity of our community, we are committed to trying to get one toy to each child who needs it this year. We will also be continuing our partnership with Madison Reading Project to include one book with each toy.
The application deadline is December 7th.
Find out more information and sign up here: Empty Stocking Sign Up.
Early Pick-Up / Late Drop-Off Reminders
School doors are locked and intercom systems are used throughout the school district to help ensure the safety of our students during the school day. When visiting Lowell to pick up or drop off a student, or for any other reason, please follow the steps below:
- Come to the main entrance on Maple Avenue and press the buzzer to the left of the door.
- Office staff will ask how we can help you. State your name, your student’s name, and your purpose for being at the school. Though we recognize many of you, we still need everyone to follow these procedures.
- If you are picking up your child early for an appointment, etc., a staff member will walk your child to the front door to meet you and you will be asked to sign your child out.
Middle School Lottery
On Wednesday, December 1st, current 5th graders may start applying for one of the Lottery Schools.
Students who live in the Lowell attendance area will automatically be enrolled at O'Keeffe Middle School. However, if you'd like to apply to one of the Lottery Schools, please read below:
- Badger Rock: There is no attendance area preference. For more information on lottery criteria, click here: https://enrollment.madison.k12.wi.us/mmsd-middle-school-lottery.
- Spring Harbor: Preference given to students residing in the Memorial High attendance area.
- Wright: Preference given to students that reside in the Elementary Schools feeding into West High.
For more information about the Middle School Lottery, please access the Middle Schools Lottery website.
Applications will open on 12/01/2021 at 8:00 am and will close 01/28/2022 at 4:00 pm.