TORRE DEL ORO (TOWER OF GOLD)
This landmark is in the centre of Seville. It dominates the Guadalquivir river Banks. Actually, there was a twin tower on the opposite bank of the river, in order to draw a large chain to block the River Guadalquivir. Unfortunately, nothing remains of the Gold Tower's twin sister, probably because it was destroyed by the 1755 Lisbon earthquake.
The Torre del Oro was built in the 13th century (1220-1221) during the reign of the Taifa Kings, a time when Spain was invaded by the Moors. The tower served as a prision during the Middle Ages. Also its purpose was to protect Seville and prevent the Christians to attack it from the river. The tower has been used as a fortress, a chapel, a warehouse, a prison and even as the Guadalquivir River Company main office. Today it is the Naval Museum.