Region 15 CTE Weekly Update
April 20 - April 24, 2020
“If you're going through hell, keep going.” ― Winston Churchill
Monday - April 20
- MOS Word and Excel has been moved from June 8-9 to June 29-20
- Welding Certification is still scheduled - Rich contacted me today and his company is considered non essential so everything has come to a halt till June 1. He wants to keep it on the books for June 16-18 at this time.
- Check with your summer conferences - CTAT (which includes Health Science, Business and Marketing) has moved to a virtual conference.
If you have not done so, please complete the Region 15 Summer CTE PD Survey I am going through the responses to see what all can be offered at the ESC this summer.
Technology Applications & CTE
The SBOE approved the consolidation of Chapter 126 Technology Application courses into Chapter 130 Career & Technical Education. These changes include moving Technology Application courses into specific subchapters within chapter 130 and repealing duplicative courses. You may view the changes in the attached PDF (CH 126-130 summary of changes).
Energy Career Cluster
The SBOE approved the creation of an Energy career cluster. TEKS-based courses and innovative courses were moved from the Ag career cluster to the Energy career cluster. The innovative courses were also approved to become TEKS-based courses through this process. See attached PDF (CH 126-130 summary of changes) that provides a summary of the courses included in the creation of the Energy career cluster.
Tuesday - April 21
I am waiting for confirmation from TEA to see if SBOE approved the following submission (bold text would apply to a HS student):
Subchapter E. Educational Aide Certificate
§230.55. Certification Requirements for Educational Aide
I. An applicant for an educational aide I certificate shall meet the requirements in either paragraphs (1) and (2) of this section or paragraphs (3) and (4) of this section as follows:
(1) hold a high school diploma, the equivalent of a high school diploma, or higher; and
(2) have experience working with students or parents as approved by the employing superintendent. Experience may be work in church-related schools, day camps, youth groups, private schools, licensed daycare centers, or similar experience ; or
(3) be a high school student 18 years of age or older; and
(4) have a final grade of 70 or better in two or more education and training courses specified in Chapter 130, Subchapter E, of this title (relating to Education and Training) for three or more credits verified in writing by the superintendent of the district where the credits were earned.
The education and training courses must include either:
- (A) Instructional Practices, as described in §130.164 of this title (relating to Instructional Practices (Two Credits), Adopted 2015); or
- (B) Practicum in Education and Training, as described in §130.165 of this title (relating to Practicum in Education and Training (Two Credits), Adopted 2015).
Education and Training Resources
TEA will also release teaching resources for the Education and Training Cluster. However the release of these resources have been delayed by another review from a different division.
Wednesday - April 22
Moving forward in the next school year, all students will be auto coded with a new CTE indicator. This is going to occur even if your school doesn't apply for Perkins V. Take a look at the table to see how the new codes of 4, 5, E, 6 and 7 will be determined. You will no long need to self report CTE codes of 0, 1, and 2. 1920-2020 is the last year using this method. Auto coding will be based on course completions not what students anticipate taking on the PGP.
Thursday - April 23
For those of you who participate in Perkins, this is about the SC3001 SMART Goal. Per the FAQ released 4/21:
Reporting on PR3001 will be suspended for SY 2019-2020 and the SC3001 will be suspended for SY 2020-2021. LEAs should focus on meeting the needs of students at this time, and not be concerned about goals set in SC3001 and data collection in PR3001.
What does this mean?
All districts participating in Perkins were required to write a SMART Goal. It was suggested to members of the Region 15 Perkins SSA to use Choices 360 as a goal. So reporting is suspended this year as well as next year.
Friday - April 24
I hope everyone has had a good week and felt like it was a productive one at that. We had a few hard days in this house with the 4th grader. She is about over all this school at home business. Her sweet 4th grade teachers came by and waved from afar this week, I think that was a great boost for her. I am not sure if you are able to do things like that, but I hope you are making connections with your students each week. I know that several students are just not going to engage but don't give up trying.
Governor Abbott is scheduled to speak at another press conference on April 27. So I guess we will hear about more efforts to open Texas. If you are spending more time at home with your family I hope that you are finding joy in doing things you wouldn't otherwise do right now. In the evenings we have flown kites, played Just Dance video games, made cookies at 4:30 pm on Tuesday because we can and more back porch sitting. This has definitely made us slow down. So here's to another week! I hope you have a chance to sit and enjoy the weekend and those around you.