Daniel Wright Junior High School Newsletter - Aug 20, 2021
Students Kick Off the School Year
There were 744 students who returned to school this week at Daniel Wright. Check out our Facebook page for more pictures of students preparing their lockers and meeting their teachers. Daniel Wright welcomes the following new staff:
- Michele Amato, Sixth-Grade English Language Arts Teacher
- Julie Harris, Speech Language Pathologist
- Martina Koeva, Occupational Therapist
- Eleni Lamson, Eighth-Grade Math Teacher
- Lindsay Major, Digital Arts Teacher
- Morgan McDermott, Sixth-Grade English Language Arts Teacher
- Joseph Sarmiento, Sixth- Seventh-Grade Math Teacher
- Brittany Silberman, Sixth-Grade Learning Behavior Specialist Teacher
- Nick Skala, Grades 6-8 PE & Health Teacher
- Daniel Sohn, Technology Teacher
- Tania Surane, Spanish Teacher
- Brittany Tartamella, Guided Teacher
- Christine Yu, School Social Worker
- Hazel Weaver, Secretary
MAP Testing to Begin
Students at Daniel Wright Junior High School will be taking the Fall MAP assessment on Thursday, August 26, and Friday, August 27, 2021. You will receive the results of the fall assessment in October. For more information about MAP, including how you can help support your child, please see the full MAP Informational Letter.
For our BYO iPad families (only certain 8th graders), please make sure your child’s iPad has the free, NWEA Secure Testing app installed. When using the iPad, please use the App Store app and search NWEA Secure Testing.
COVID Checklist Required
To help keep all of our students and staff safe at school and prevent the spread of COVID, everyone is required to complete a COVID-19 self-check each morning before leaving home. By coming to school, you are verifying that you are symptom free and have completed the self-check. The self-check should include:
- Temperature check. Anyone with a temperature over 100.4 F should not enter a building and should check in with their primary care physician.
- Symptoms check. If you answer yes to any of the following questions should not enter a building and should check in with their primary care physician.
- Fever, Cough, Chills, Muscle Aches?
- Sore Throat, Runny Nose, Loss of Taste, Smell?
- Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea?
- Shortness of Breath, Headache?
- Close Contact or Cared for Someone with COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
Sports & Clubs Get Underway
Village Project Creates Traffic Congestion
As you may be aware, the Village of Lincolnshire is embarking on a $4 million Crosstown Water Main project along Riverwoods Road to maintain and improve the Village’s water supply system. The project is expected to last through spring 2022. A project this size will impact vehicle and pedestrian traffic – especially near Laura B. Sprague School, Daniel Wright Junior High School, and the intersection of Half Day Road and Riverwoods Road.
Unfortunately, it will be inconvenient and parents may need to alter the way in which they get their child to/from school. Due to the majority of Lincolnshire residents living near Riverwoods Road, this project will likely affect traffic to/from Half Day School as well.
District 103 News
PCR Testing Update
O’Hare Clinical Lab Services, the company that will conduct our weekly COVID testing, will need District 103 to provide your child’s date of birth with the company as it is needed to report test results to the Lake County Health Department as required by law. It is also part of the information needed for you to receive your child’s test results. Date of birth was not included in the items in the waiver you signed in Unified Classroom so we are not allowed to share that information with O’Hare Clinical Lab without your permission. If you are ok with the district sharing this information, you do not need to do anything. If having the district share this information changes your mind regarding the testing of your child(ren), please go back to Unified Classroom and change your response. If you would like to sign up for testing, please follow these directions. Please make your decisions by Friday August 20.