MoASSP Messenger November 2, 2018
Set Clocks Back. Vote Tuesday. Veterans Day Observed 11/12
Mixed Bag (Update) From the Executive Director
1 More Hour
Enjoy your extra hour this weekend.
Football Week 11
One of my favorite quotes is by John Adams. So true. If you are looking for quotes next week for your staff bulletin or student announcements regarding voting, click here.
There are important issues on the ballot Tuesday. I have included three links to help inform our MoASSP membership. Take time to be an educated voter. MoASSP will not take a position on any of the ballot questions. The third bullet below provides a summary of the ballot questions and the implications to schools and public education.
- Better Schools for Missouri's 2018 Mid-Term Endorsements
- 2018 Ballot Measures
- Explanation of Ballot Measures provided by the School Administrators Coalition
Help me welcome twelve new MoASSP members. See the list below.
Veterans Day 2018
One of my favorite assemblies as a middle school and high school principal was our annual Veterans Day Program. I have included the 2018 official poster and many excellent resources below.
Liberty HS Event
Principal, Dr. April Adams, has invited high schools in the KC area to attend their second annual school safety event. See information below.
Resources & Video
Sharpening your leadership and growing new leaders are essential to MoASSP. There are several websites below and a video clip that might be of interest.
Upcoming Regional Meetings
We have a number of regional meetings coming up, including Northwest and GKC this coming week. As your schedule permits, attend your regional meetings. They provide a great way to learn, network, as well as lean on each other.
Congratulations to Lauren Cumming, Assistant Principal at Bernard MS in the Mehlville School District.
Show-Me Tour Continues
Doug and I enjoyed visiting Bernard MS this past week as well as the St. Louis MoASSP meeting at Lindbergh HS. Our school visits continue next week as we head to Liberty North, Liberty, Park Hill South, and Staley High Schools and New Mark, Eastgate, Northgate, and Antioch Middle Schools.
Whether you are aspiring, emerging, developing, or transformational, wherever you are on the “Principal’s Journey”, it really is a “matter of principal(ple).” Clark Mershon
Help Welcome Our Newest MoASSP Members
Total MoASSP Membership is now 1,197. If you see inaccurate information, please email Katy. Thanks for helping us keep our database up to date.
- Adam Easterwood Knob Noster HS email@example.com Assistant Principal C
- Chris Bosco Rockhurst HS firstname.lastname@example.org Assistant Principal KC
- Jamie Sadich Raytown Central MS email@example.com Principal KC
- Melvin Walker Park Hill South HS firstname.lastname@example.org Teacher KC
- Jennifer Dyer Craig J/SR HS email@example.com Principal NW
- Cynthia O'Brien Kearney HS firstname.lastname@example.org Assistant Principal NW
- Lara Gilpin Spring Garden MS email@example.com Principal NW
- Michael Ford Jackson JHS firstname.lastname@example.org Assistant Principal SE
- Kevin Kuehl Frontier MS email@example.com Assistant Principal SL
- Susan Reid Compton-Drew ILC MS firstname.lastname@example.org Principal SL
- Michelle Darby Bolivar HS email@example.com Assistant Principal SW
- Ron Owens Bolivar HS firstname.lastname@example.org Assistant Principal SW
Veterans Day 2018 Observed Nov. 12
Liberty HS Hosts School Safety Event
Liberty High School extends an invite to area KC high schools to bring a sponsor and a small group of students to their second annual School Safety 360 event. This event is a student-driven, student-designed, and student-led event focused on the elements within the lives of our students that can enhance their sense of safety both inside and outside of school.
If you are interested in attending, click here for more information. Please RSVP to Dr. April Adams, Principal at Liberty High School. "Our goal is to spread the word of safety in our students' lives and we want to share this event for hopes of replication on your school sites," states April.
Greater Kansas City Fall Meeting Wednesday, November 7
We have a great Fall Meeting planned for Wednesday, November 7th. It will be an evening of collaboration, inspiration, excellent BBQ and fun – here are the key details
- Jack Stack Freight House: 101 W. 22nd Street Kansas City, MO 64108
- 5 pm Social Hour sponsored by Bob and Jeff Enger, Jostens
- 6 pm Dinner Buffet
- 6:30 pm Fall Meeting
- Keynote Speaker: Ryan Lefebvre, KC Royals Broadcaster
Here is a quick list of other upcoming GKC events for your calendar – more info to come regarding these:
Upcoming Assistant Principal Roundtables
- December 5 - Summit Technology, LSR7
- January 29 - Winnetonka HS
Upcoming HS Principal Roundtables
- November 14 – Blue Springs South HS
- January 9 – Oak Park HS
GKCMPA Aspiring Principal Conference and Winter Meeting: February 6
MoASSP Board of Directors
- NASSP Coordinator for Missouri: John Faulkenberry, Lee's Summit HS
- MoASSP President: Ed Gettemeier, Hardin MS
- MoASSP President-Elect: Marc Spunaugle, Lincoln HS
- MoASSP Past President: Chris Hoehne, Ste. Genevieve HS
- MoASSP Treasurer: Kathryn Greer, Francis Howell North HS
- At-Large Non-Public: Valerie Todd, St. Mary's HS
- At-Large Assistant Principal: Jennifer Strauser, Eureka HS
- At-Large Middle Level: Jonathan Apostol, Monett MS
- Kansas City (GKCMPA): Jeff Meisenheimer, Lee's Summit North HS
- Northwest: Robert Bowers, Lathrop HS
- Northeast: Scott Daly, Hallsville HS
- Southeast: Dan Hecht, Kelly-Benton HS
- Southwest: Sarah Odom, Cherokee MS
- South Central: Jim Pritchett, Rolla HS
- Central: Brandon Harding, Cole Camp HS
- St. Louis (SASSP): Andy Croley, McCluer North HS
- NASSP Board Member: Kevin Lowery, Lebanon HS
2018-2019 District Presidents
- Central Region: Jonathan Peterson, Smithton HS
- GKCMPA: Charlie Belt, Blue Springs South HS
- Northeast Region: Deborah Hill-Haag, Mexico MS
- Northwest Region: Beery Johnson, Benton HS
- SASSP: Gary Jansen, Crestview MS (Rockwood)
- South Central Region: Kelle McCallum, Washington HS
- Southeast Region: Lucas McKinnis, Bernie HS
- Southwest Region: Keith White, Buffalo HS
Thanks to Our Corporate Sponsors for Helping Support the Vision & Mission of MoASSP
Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals
The vision of MoASSP is to serve ALL middle level and high school administrators.
The mission of MoASSP is to improve secondary education through positive leadership and the enhancement of student performance.