Lowell Memo: Issue #5
September 21, 2017
Published by Lowell School & the Lowell PTA
Reminder: There is no school on Friday, September 22 due to Teacher Institute. Classes resume Monday, September 25.
Dinner plans tonight? Head to Potbelly in Glen Ellyn!
Laps for Lowell: What a Great Day!!
Despite the unseasonably warm temperatures, all of the students did such a great job running their laps during their PE times. Thank you to all of the parents who came out to cheer on their students and especially those who helped count laps! We are so grateful for all of your help! A special thank you goes out to Mrs. Minser and Mr. Doyle, not only for getting the students ready to run, but also for all of the time they put in for set up and keeping us organized, as well as giving up a whole day of their classes for our fundraiser! Our PE department ROCKS!!
Why do we have this fundraiser, you ask? Well, there are so many great things that the PTA does for Lowell that are not known. The following is a list of just of few of the things that the PTA has provided to Lowell with the monies raised from our school fundraisers. (And no one had to sell anything!)
- Sets of Blue Stem books for the classrooms (saves you from having to fight for a copy at the public library!)
- Field Trips - money is allocated to each student for annual field trips. There is usually minimal (or NO) charge to the parents because of the support the PTA provides.
- Alternative Seating - some of the classrooms and our LLC have new comfortable seating that enhances the learning experiences of the students. These purchases were made possible by the PTA.
- Recess Equipment - we replenish the indoor and outdoor recess equipment on an annual basis. No one likes to be stuck inside for recess, so the PTA makes it more fun by providing art carts, games (like Tenzi), and so much more for the students to utilize, not to mention the playground balls for outside use.
- Math Manipulatives - provide extra help in the classroom when our students learn new math concepts.
- In-classroom software licenses - with so many electronic resources available these days, the PTA assists our teachers by providing funds for their access to some new resources, which in turn benefits our students.
- Magazines - did you know that your students' classrooms are furnished annually with magazine subscriptions paid for by the PTA? Just another way to enhance the learning experience!
- PE Equipment - the PTA purchased new volleyball standards for the PE department with funds raised through Laps. Now our PE department can not only have a successful volleyball unit, but there may even be intramurals coming soon! What a great way to keep our kids moving!! We also purchased a teaching skeleton for those fun health units!
- Art Department - the PTA helped the Art Department purchase a new kiln for all of those awesome pottery creations that come home!
So many reasons to support the PTA, and these are just a few ways the PTA supports your students! Now, that the running has been completed, it's time for the real work to be done. Please support our major fundraiser by donating and collecting donations for Laps for Lowell.
Donations are due to the office by the end of the day on Friday, September 29th. You can also donate online (through PayPal) at http://lowellpta.org/laps/.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!
Did you have a chance to give feedback about Curriculum Night? Please do so below so we can continue to make this a valuable experience for all parents.
Want to be a part of our Anderson's Book Fair October 10-13?
KIDS State Survey of Kindergarten Readiness
Kindergarten readiness is a key area of focus for the State of Illinois. To this end, school districts in Illinois will begin reporting on 14 readiness measures of the Kindergarten Individual Development Survey (KIDS) for each kindergartner beginning in the fall of 2017. You can learn more by visiting the KIDS Families Toolkit at www.isbe.net/KIDS.
Box Tops for Education
This year Lowell will once again be collecting Box Tops for Education™. Clipping Box Tops is an easy way for you to help our school earn cash. Last school year, we earned almost $1,000! Box Top coupons are on the packaging of hundreds of participating products that you probably use every day.
All you need to do is cut them off of the box they are on, stick them in a baggie, and send them to school with your child (bags of 50 box tops are preferred).
This year we'll be keeping track of each classroom and the number of Box Tops submitted, so please mark your bags with your child's name and teacher's name. The winning class will win a special prize toward the end of the school year! We'll be tracking progress on the bulletin board outside the office throughout the year.
Thanks to all those who completed a Box Tops collection sheet over the summer — don't forget to turn them in!
Love gardening, ecology or just like to play in the dirt?
Our Beautification Committee needs volunteers to help develop the Hidden Garden. Please contact Lauri Malee if you are interested. email@example.com
We would like also like to thank Wheaton Nursery for their generous discounts for our Container Plants. Considering finding your fall mums, bulbs, pumpkins and more at Wheaton Nursery at 626 Roosevelt Road.
Lowell Traffic Patterns & Pets
New to Lowell or need a refresher on the traffic patterns? Click here for a map and reminders. As a reminder, all vehicle traffic will be on Willow Street. Children who walk to school may enter on President Street, through the main entrance on Illinois Street or the Sun Porch entrance off of the field on the west side of the school.
We also ask that you not bring pets on school property before school, after school or to events during the school day. While many of us have loving pets that are truly family members, we do have students and adults with fears and allergies. Likewise, we have also witnessed calm family pets react unpredictably when startled, even with other pets or people they know. We thank you for your understanding of this.
Thank you for helping us in our top priority of keeping your children safe!
Lowell Eagles Learn: Our School Blog
Thank you for helping tell our story! Check out our newest posts, including staff appreciation from a Lowell mom!
View the District ESchool Bag!
Student Excellence Foundation
Support the Lowell PTA through Amazon.com!!
Bookmark this page for use anytime you need to shop at Amazon.com There are no price increases or fees for shoppers or Lowell PTA. Amazon funds the program as a fund raising opportunity for schools and organizations.