By Emeril Hart
Functions of the Vitamin.
- Prevents memory loss.
- Boosts mood
- Lowers high homocysteine levels (prevents heart disease)
- Prevents cervical and other cancers
Where you can find vitamin B12
Meat, fish, and dairy products.
Why its essential
- Helps keep the body's nerve and blood cells healthy and helps make DNA, the genetic material in all cells.
- Helps prevent a type of anemia called megaloblastic anemia
- Vitamin B12 deficiency causes tiredness, weakness, constipation, loss of appetite, and weight loss
- Vitamin B12 deficiency can damage the nervous system even in people who don't have anemia.
- "Vitamin B12: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD."WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2015.
- "Vitamin B12." — Consumer. U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, 24 June 2011. Web. 15 Jan. 2015.