A PRINCIPAL UPDATE FOR OUR CHANDLER FAMILIES
November 20, 2020
As we move into Thanksgiving Break, I just want you all to know how thankful we are for each of you! Your support and affirmation is appreciated more than you know! Thank you for sharing your sweet children with us!
I hope everyone has a wonderful, relaxing Thanksgiving break!
Save the Date!
- 11/16-12/4- Toys for Tots Collection
- 11/18-12/5- Penguin Patch Online Shop Open
- 11/23-11/27- Thanksgiving Break- No School
- 12/1 Chick Fil A Spirit Day
- 12/1- Fall Picture Re-Takes (See info below)
- 12/9- Science Fair Projects Due via Google Classroom
- 12/18- Winter Class Parties
- 12/18- Winter Wonderland Day- PJ's and Movies
- 12/18- Early Release Day- 12:00 for Students
- 12/21-1/1- Winter Break!
- 1/4- Staff Development Day- No School for Students
Toys 4 Tots Collection Information
- Toys 4 Tots collection begins on November 16th and goes until December 4th.
- There is a collection box at the school for In Person students to drop off new, unwrapped toys they'd like to donate.
- The student must bring the toy with them to school- we cannot accept any drop offs from parents.
- To support At-Home Learner gift giving, we will have extra donation boxes at the Service Center and Admin Offices to drop their gifts in advance.
- All families also have the option to drop their gifts at the AISD dedicated spot that will be setup at the Allen Event Center where FOX 4 News and the Marine Corps League of Collin County will hold the Toys for Tots drive-thru toy collection from 5-10 p.m. on Tuesday, December 8.
- Chandler will be having holiday parties on Friday, December 18th. While we would love to have our parents join us, we are unfortunately still not allowing visitors on campus. Therefore, our teachers will coordinate the parties for their homeroom class.
- The holiday party will include an activity, and students that are in person will be provided a snack and drink. Thank you PTA for helping with our snack and drink!
- At-home teachers will have their parties online during one of the synchronous times. They will participate in the same activity that our in person students are participating in, and these students are also welcome to enjoy their own snack/drink during that time.
***Please do not send in additional items or goodies for parties. Thank you!
3rd 9 Weeks Instructional Material Deployment (AT-HOME LEARNERS ONLY)
- We will be distributing instructional materials to students who will be 'AT-HOME' learners for the 3rd nine weeks of school on January 5th from 9:30-11:00 (Kinder-3rd & older siblings) and 12:30-2:00 (4th-6th.)
- We will use the gym side of the school ONLY for deployment.
- If your child can come with you to get their items, we would love to see their sweet faces from your vehicle.
- Their teachers will be able to pass out items during this time.
- Please stay in your vehicle, and we will bring your students' materials to your car.
- We will share the passenger window student identification page with you when we return from Thanksgiving break.
Pre-AP Course Name Change for Middle and High School
Beginning with the 2021-2022 academic year, Allen ISD will replace “Pre-AP/Pre-IB” with “Advanced” in any and all courses currently carrying the Pre-AP naming convention. This will affect courses for grades 6-12 at all Allen ISD campuses. This change is due to a new College Board policy, which requires districts to purchase their newly created “Official Pre-AP” curriculum in order to use the Pre-AP nomenclature in course titles. Allen ISD will not be purchasing this new curriculum. Please be assured all newly-named Advanced courses will continue to be taught at a high level of rigor utilizing the district-designed curriculum currently in place. Advanced courses in grades 9-12 will still carry a 4.5 GPA weight.
The district will continue to offer the full spectrum of Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) courses it currently does. AP course names and content are dictated by the College Board, so changing the name of Pre-AP courses to Advanced courses will not have an effect on AP course offerings. Similarly, IB courses will not be affected by this change as the International Baccalaureate Organization does not use the term “Pre-IB” in its course naming conventions.
Updates to the course names will be reflected in the 2021-2022 Academic Planning Guide and course selection forms. For more information, please see the Pre-AP Name Change FAQs document.
School Picture Retakes- December 1st
If you'd like to have your picture retaken, you must sign up for an appointment HERE. Pictures will be taken in the music room. Please enter through the music room door on the west side of the school by the gym. There will be staff members outside to help direct your child. Only students are allowed in the building. Parents must wait in the car.
Order a 2020-2021 Yearbook
Holiday Fundraiser with Texas Roadhouse- EXTENDED THROUGH DECEMBER 2ND
Just in time for Holiday Shopping...
Chandler PTA has set up a Fundraising account so that when you shop for Giftcards (or eCards), Chandler gets 2-20% back. All you have to do is:
1) Create an account at Shopwithscrip.com
2) Use Enrollment code: ABLBC6L774934
3) Start Shopping...Gift cards, eCards to mail to friends, family, and others. eCards can be sent directly to the recipient...you don't even have to leave the house!
Thanks for your support!
Class Shirts 2nd Round Ordering Information
- If you have not purchased a class shirt this year, please visit the Chandler PTA website and register to order a shirt. https://chandlerpta.membershiptoolkit.com/
STEAM Ambassador Tutoring
STEAM Ambassadors will provide flexible, one on one online peer tutoring services to students 5-12 with homework help and science and math concept comprehension.
Assist students with math and science concepts through virtual tutoring sessions.
Provide accessible student support that would typically be offered in a face to face setting but has become increasingly difficult as students learn away from campus.
Establish a virtual tutoring model that successfully addresses the diverse needs of learners across Allen ISD.
Who are the tutors?
Tutors are 10th-12th grade STEAM Ambassadors that excel in science and math.
STEAM Ambassadors were chosen by board members, administrators, and teachers during an extensive interview process last spring.
Tutors have completed classroom observations and were trained on best instructional practices.
Please visit the STEAM Ambassador website to learn more about the leadership program and tutoring
How to sign up:
**Parents and students may view available times for tutoring sessions and sign up for a session here**
Students can learn about the available tutors by viewing their bios.
Students will sign up for a session at least 24 hours in advance, providing details regarding material they would like to cover during the session. Additionally, graded quizzes/assignments, homework, etc. can be submitted here for the tutor to review in detail with the student (reworking missed questions, clarifying/reteaching when necessary)
Prior to the first tutoring session a parent/guardian permission slip will be submitted
Reminder- Allen ISD Resources
Celebrating "Celebrate Me Week"
We have enjoyed a great week of Celebrate Me Week, an annual Chandler tradition where students learn together to become more aware of how others may feel with a variety of disabilities. Students rotated through different stations in the gym during their P.E. time this week – in each station, students experienced a different disability – hearing and visual impairment, physical limitations, learning & processing disabilities, and communication disorders. It is our hope that through this yearly experience, students will develop empathy and show kindness to all people no matter their ability. Special thanks to Mrs. Gee, Mrs. Wolford, Coach B, and Mrs. Horton!
Penguin Patch Holiday Shoppe is ONLINE and OPEN!
One of Chandler's favorite holiday traditions is our annual Penguin Patch Gift Shop where students can purchase inexpensive gifts for family & friends and wrap them up themselves here at school for gift-giving! Since we cannot host an in-person shop this year, Penguin Patch has an online virtual presence that allows students with parent permission to purchase these affordable gifts from home! Gifts range in price from $0.50 to $12.00. (Free shipping if total is $25.00 +) Shopping continues through December 4th and the online store is open all throughout Thanksgiving Break! Gifts will be shipped directly to your home along with the cute gift-wrapping sacks for your child to wrap on their own, still offering them the joy of giving to others! AND...Chandler receives a portion of your purchase in return for Kids Against Hunger!
Save the Date - Chick Fil A Spirit Day - Tuesday, December 1st
Be ready on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving Break to head to the Stacy Road Chick Fil A for an easy dinner or treat! All receipt totals where Chandler is mentioned on Chandler's Spirit Day brings a portion of your receipt total right back to us at Chandler to add to our ongoing Kids Against Hunger Fund! Be sure to tell the cashier when ordering that you are with Chandler Elementary. Thanks for your support!
Elementary School Parent Chats with Allen ISD Support Counselors
Attention Parents! We understand that you may be struggling to balance your child's at-home or in-person learning along with your own work and home commitments. We are here to support you! Join us at one of the times below by navigating to https://www.allenisd.org/Page/58184. To register, you may click on the date/time link most convenient for you. We are here to provide a space for you to discuss your challenges and identify healthy ways to cope & problem solve. Facilitated by the Allen ISD Support Counselors. You must register to participate.
Upcoming dates include:
Notes from the Nurse
Happy Thanksgiving Chandler families! I just wanted to send a few health related reminders while you are enjoying a restful break.
- If your student or a family member begins exhibiting COVID-like symptoms, please consider having that individual isolate away from other family members. Please send me an email (email@example.com), and keep them home on 11/30 (Monday) until I am able to follow up.
- Covid Symptoms may include: fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficult breathing, sore throat, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, and/or diarrhea.
- If your student or a family member, tests positive for COVID-19 over the break, please send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org), and keep them home on 11/30 (Monday) until I am able to follow up.
- If your student(s) have been exposed to someone over the break, please send me an email (email@example.com) and keep them home on 11/30 (Monday) until I am able to follow up.
- Close contact is defined as within 6 feet for a total of 15 minutes in a day.
When in doubt, I just ask that you send me an email and keep your student home on 11/30 until I am able to follow up. My goal is to keep everyone in the school safe and healthy, and to prevent/mitigate any spread of COVID-19 at Chandler. We have had very little COVID-19 action at our school and I would like to keep it that way!
For more information on COVID-19, please visit https://www.allenisd.org/Page/59150 or https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
Thank you for your partnership in this, and again, Happy Thanksgiving!
Updates from Specials
Artsonia Holiday Special!
- Custom keepsakes with your child’s art!
- Perfect for holiday gifts and stocking stuffers.
- Help raise funds for our school art program.
- Get 10% off any one item with the promo code HolidayFunds20!
- More artwork uploaded daily.
- K-3 students have been introduced to the Novel Effect app during library time.
- This free app adds sound effects as you read certain books aloud. This can be a great motivator as kids practice reading aloud.
- Check out https://noveleffect.com/books/ for more info.
- During library time we have also talked about digital citizenship and balancing screen time.
- For tips about practicing healthy media habits with your family check out https://www.commonsensemedia.org/techbalance
- Would you like to dedicate a library book to your child on their birthday? Learn more about our Birthday Book Program here: https://www.allenisd.org/Page/2701
- The Chandler Library has many options for students to access ebooks and audiobooks at home. Learn more here: https://www.allenisd.org/Page/20542
Arrival & Breakfast
- Doors open at 7:30 am for students to enter the building.
- Students will be counted late if they are not physically inside the building by the 7:45 am tardy bell.
- All outside doors will lock and students will need to enter at the front door after 7:45 am.
- Parents will need to sign their child in if they arrive after the 7:45 am tardy bell.
- Students who eat breakfast should be in the cafe no later than 7:40 am.
- Students should always exit the car on the curb side for safety reasons.
- If your child is walking to school, please remind them to leave with enough time to be inside the building by 7:45 am.
- All walker students should be utilizing the crosswalks at either Bur Oak or Shelley.
- Absence notifications to the school and excuse notes can be entered via Family Access in lieu of calling the school and/or sending a handwritten note.
- Please report your students' absence for “in-person” learning to Rhonda Ploubis by 10:00 am using one of the following methods:
- Family Access - notifies the school AND provides the excuse note (This feature cannot be used in lieu of a medical note to excuse students who leave school for a medical appointment or come in late from a medical appointment.)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org (follow up with handwritten note, medical note or Family Access note)
- Call 469.467.1400 (follow up with handwritten note, medical note or Family Access note)
Important Reminder: All notes must be received within 3 school days of the absence to be considered excused.
In-Person Changes in Dismissal
- Any changes in dismissal need to be communicated to your child's teacher in writing.
- If you are changing your dismissal in an email to your child's teacher, please also CC email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All changes need to be made prior to 2:00.
- Any changes that need to be made after 2:00 need to be called directly into the office.
Dismissal Car Tags
- ***VERY IMPORTANT*** Please make sure that car tags are displayed in your front window for EACH child.
- If you have more than one child, please display car tags for ALL children being picked up.
- In order for dismissal to go more quickly, we need to scan the QR code for EACH child. Thank you!
- Students in grades K-3rd are highly recommended to be wearing a mask during the instructional day.
- Students in grades 4th-6th are required to wear masks at all times. Please note teacher do plan structured mask breaks throughout the day.
- If a student in grades 4th-6th arrives without a mask students will be held up in the office until a parent is called to bring a mask up to school. Please ensure your child brings their mask daily.
ALLEN ISD COVID-19 DASHBOARD
Allen ISD has launched a COVID-19 dashboard to provide our families and staff with a transparent and up-to-date snapshot of lab-confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 in our district.
An active case indicates that a student or staff member has received a lab-confirmed positive case of COVID-19 and they have not yet returned to campus. Individuals who test positive are excluded from participation in any in-person/on-campus activity until the campus verifies that the individual meets the return criteria set by state and local health authorities. Once the individual is cleared to return, they are no longer considered an active case.
This data will be updated each school day. You can find the dashboard under the Back to School 2020 section of the Allen ISD webpage. Here is the direct link: https://www.allenisd.org/Page/59663