PARENT NEWSLETTER: WEEK OF 8/9/2021
Chisholm Trail Middle School
Office Hours: Mon-Thurs 7am-4pm; Fri-7am-3:30pm
16700 W. 159th Street, Olathe, KS, 66062
Technical Support: Help Desk--913-780-8058
Principal: Rick Sola
Asst. Principal: Krista Dueringer (Silver Teams-6,7,8)
Asst. Principal: Erin Richerson (Green Teams-6,7,8)
Rachel Iuli: Green Teams-6,7,8
Ashley Rodden: Silver Teams-6,7,8
Week of 8/9/2021
Dear CST Family,
This is the week! Students return and we begin the 2021-2022 school year. This is such an exciting time of year as a new chapter begins for our students and they embark on their one and only 6th, 7th, or 8th grade year. I've enjoyed talking with so many students and parents who've visited CST over the past week. The anticipation and genuine excitement is what makes working in a school so much fun. As our staff returned this past Friday, I saw their genuine excitement to get the new school year underway as well. There were lots of laughs and smiles as the CST teaching family reconnected from the summer.
For those new to CST, you will learn very quickly how important family is to me. While the word "family" is commonly used and may initially sound cliche', the family component to CST is an integral part of what makes Chisholm Trail such a special place for kids. In addition, I view the relationship between home and school as a partnership in your child's education. You will be kept informed with what is going on at CST and I strongly encourage you to talk with your child about school, what they're doing in class, who they sit with at lunch, etc. In addition, we so appreciate you keeping us in the loop if there's anything at home you view as relevant to us here at school. This helps us all stay on the same page and ultimately provide the best for your child.
I can't wait for the start of the year. I look forward to seeing all our returning students and meeting all our new students. It'll be so nice to welcome back so many of our remote students who may not have been to CST last year. There's much to take in and appreciate as your child grows--academically, physically, socially--through the middle school years. The ride isn't always smooth and middle school emotions can run high, but it's through all the experiences where our kids begin to learn how to problem-solve and ultimately develop the life-long skills necessary to carry them through future challenges. We are all here as a support for you at home as well. Any of your child's teachers, counselors, or administrators are here to support in any way...just let us know!
Have a wonderful week and a fantastic start to the school year...see you soon!
Week at a glance..
- JoCo Public Safety Order goes into effect--all students, staff, visitors are required to wear a mask in school buildings.
- Locker availability: 8am-3pm
- 6th Grade Social--5-6:30pm (pep assembly at 6pm)
- Locker availability 8-11:30am
- No locker availability
- 1st day for 6th grade students--7:50am-12:20pm (lunch provided)
- NEW 7th and 8th grade student orientation--10am-12:20pm (optional but recommended)
- First day of Quarter 1
- First full day of school--ALL students--7:50am-3:10pm
- 8/16--Volleyball tryouts and football practice begin (after school)
- 8/17--1st Cross Country practice (after school)
- 8/19--Back to School Night (6pm)
- 9/3--1/2 Day for students (7:50-11:15am)
- 9/6--Labor Day--No School
Chisholm Trail School Store!!!
Don't miss out!
Get your CST gear here in the first of our 3 stores for the year. Next store in time for the holidays, final in the spring...get your orders in soon! The store closes at 11:59pm on Sunday, 8/22. Deliveries will be made at school.
- 4 T-shirt designs on a variety of shirts
- 4 Embroidery designs on a variety of items
- Hats, sweats, jackets, more!
6th Grade Social—August 9th, 5-6:30pm
On August 9th, beginning at 5pm, an informal social will be held at CST for 6th grade students. Students and parents are free to come up any time during this window of time, check out their locker, walk through their schedule, and connect with friends. Families are invited to stop in the gym for a brief pep assembly beginning at 6pm. This is also a good time to drop off tissue boxes, sanitizer, and Clorox wipes (table in MPR).
Please enter through the front or activity entrance.
***Pardon the mess as various construction projects wrap up in the building***
NOTE: Students must be with a parent. Masks are required for all at CST per Johnson County Board of Commissioners' public safety order.
Thursday, August 12th--1st Day of School for 6th Grade
The first day of school for all 6th grade students is Thursday, August 12th from 7:50am to 12:20pm. It’s recommended for students to arrive by 7:40am and they will be dismissed at 12:20pm. Students will begin the day with an assembly put on by 8th grade WEB Leaders. In addition, they’ll walk their class schedule, eat a school lunch, and meet each of their teachers. Students only need their class schedule and should wear comfortable clothes and shoes on this day.
NEW 7th and 8th Grade Students and returning REMOTE students
7th and 8th grade students NEW to CST, as well as students who spent the entire 20-21 year in full remote, are invited to attend a new-student-orientation at 10am on Thursday, August 12th. They will meet with counselors, eat a school lunch, and meet other new CST students. Students will also get a chance to meet some of their teachers. This event is optional, but beneficial and recommended to our new 7th and 8th grade students. Students will be dismissed at 12:20pm. This event is intended for students only. Please RSVP by August 10th by calling 913-780-7240 with your child’s name and grade.
Friday, August 13th--First Day of School—All 7th and 8th Grade Students (2nd day for 6th graders)
The first day of school for all 7th and 8th graders (2nd day for 6th graders) is on Friday, August 13th. This is a regular school day from 7:50am-3:10pm.
CST Traffic Pattern
Please follow the safety plan below for car rider drop-off/pick-up
Odds and Ends
6th Grade Devices
- Surface Go devices will be checked out to 6th grade and new students on Monday, August 16th. Returning 7th and 8th grade students should still have their device checked out to them last school year.
Extra Curricular Activities
- Students are encouraged to join CST activities! There is a strong link between school involvement and academic success. Cross Country practice begins on Tuesday, August 17 and is available to all students, 6th, 7th, and 8th. Physicals required to participate.
- All students will be provided a water bottle from CST. Students are encouraged to drink plenty of water during the day. Drinking fountains will also be available for those without a water bottle.
- Students will be allowed to carry their backpacks this year to limit necessary locker trips. Students are encouraged to travel light and utilize their locker to help lighten the load.
- All students have been assigned a hall locker and are expected to keep jackets/coats/extra clothing in their locker.
CST Student Handbook
Two topics often asked about are cell phones and attire. The screenshots below are from the student handbook found on our website. We aim to promote a distraction-free learning environment as much as possible and we remind students that "Chisholm Trail is a school, not the pool". We want to promote a positive academic learning environment in the way we dress, speak, and behave. Teachers and admin will review a variety of topics with students as part of our beginning of year talks.
2021-2022 Bell Schedule
Breakfast and Lunch
The USDA has announced that the National School Breakfast and Lunch program will be free for all students during the 2021-22 school year. This means that students will not be charged for “combo” breakfast or lunch in the coming school year.
However, it’s vital that families who would benefit from free or reduced district registration, transportation and other fees fill out the Kansas State Department of Education Household Economic Survey to continue to receive free or reduced school registration fees, transportation fees and other fees and school costs. Please do so by going to https://onbase.olatheschools.com/forms/household_economic_survey.html.
Families will only need to fill out this survey one time to determine qualification for reduced or waived fees for the 2021-22 school year. Filling out this survey and including all children on the form also helps the district maintain important funding that makes certain educational programming possible.
We encourage all families to consider, review and complete the Household Economic Survey application. If families do not complete the application, they will no longer be eligible for reduced fees and state funding for the district may be reduced.
Masks: 8/5 Email from Olathe District Administration
Dear Olathe Parents,
We wanted to provide you with an update on COVID-19 mitigation plans for the 2021-22 school year. The Johnson County Board of Commissioners approved a Public Safety Order earlier today that requires any school with students in sixth grade and younger to require masks or face coverings, effective Aug. 9. Additionally, our Board of Education voted tonight to extend this health order through grade 12. For the Olathe Public Schools, this means that in any district building where students are present, all students, staff and visitors will be required to wear a mask or face covering. This applies to all students, staff and visitors in those buildings, regardless of vaccination status.
Additionally, all bus riders or students on district-provided transportation at all levels will be required to wear a mask or face covering while riding, per federal mandate.
The district will continue with COVID-19 mitigation measures put into place last year including:
- Enhanced cleaning and sanitation practices;
- HVAC adjustments to include increased outside air exchange and enhanced filtering;
- Frequent handwashing;
- Self-monitoring for illness and staying home or keeping children home when sick.
For more information about COVID mitigation and to access other back to school resources, visit: www.olatheschools.org/return2021.
Keeping schools open for learning will continue to be the main priority in the Olathe Public Schools. The district will continue to work closely with state and local health officials. We look forward to an outstanding start to the school year.
Olathe Public Schools Administration
"8th Period" = Wildcats WIN
The 8th period on your child's schedule is our new "Academic Extension with Intervention" time. This period will take place right after 1st hour (see schedule below). At CST, we are calling this time "Wildcats WIN" (WIN = What I Need). This time will occur daily for all students and will be a time to receive a variety of learning. This time will include social emotional learning (2nd Step), reading intervention and strategies, silent reading, school-themed lessons and information, content-related materials, and student-choice learning. This time is truly intended to be a "what I need" time for students.
This intervention time will take place in all Olathe middle schools and the new bell schedule below will be utilized in most of our middle school buildings. Watch the weekly for more information on Wildcats WIN as the school year gets underway. This will be a valuable time for our students as we aim to cater more to their educational needs.
This button will take you to a district page that includes Olathe's return plan for the 21-22 school year. This includes current mitigation protocols with regards to Covid.
School Supply Lists
All students have been assigned a locker. Students will have the option to carry their backpack from class to class this year as we found success with this last year. Whether locker use is regular or intermittent, students will be expected to keep their coats, jackets, and other bags in their locker. It is recommended for students to keep their lunch in their locker as well.
Reminder: Combinations operate on a "right-left-right" pattern along with skipping the middle number once.
Example: 05-42-19---spin dial to the right a few times to get started, turning right, stop precisely on the "05". Spin left passing the "42" once until you get back to 42 where you'll stop on the 42. Turn right until you get to "19" where you'll stop and lift the handle.
There will be a locations in the office and halls to write down locker concerns. Concerns may include combination issue, need a bottom locker/can't reach top hooks, etc. Students are expected to keep their combination private and to not share with anyone. Please reach out to Mrs. Richerson if there are locker issues (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Green Team Counselor: email@example.com
| || |
Silver Team Counselor: firstname.lastname@example.org
Green Team Counselor: email@example.com
Access to school calendars, hour listings for buildings
Year-at-a-glance, single pager/downloadable
CST Admin/Counseling Team
Silver Teams--6, 7, 8
Green Teams--6, 7, 8
Silver Teams--6, 7, 8
Green Teams--6, 7, 8
Green Team--6, 7, 8
| || |
Silver Team--6, 7, 8
Green Team--6, 7, 8
Silver Team--6, 7, 8
Receptionist: Chrissy Walters
Assistant Principal's Secretary: Angie Peterson
Attendance Secretary: Connie Bray
Data Operator: Melynda Marquardt
School Nurse: Jennifer Ross
Please keep info updated (email, phone number, medical, etc.). Contact the office at 913-780-7240 if you are concerned you may be missing communication or need to update your family's information.
Follow Us on Twitter! @CSTWildcatsMS
Parent Communication—What to expect…
1) I send a weekly email through Blackboard with a link to an online parent newsletter called The Weekly Wildcat. Important information regarding the next week and beyond is included in this newsletter. Watch for the first Weekly Wildcat the first week of August.
2) The link to The Weekly Wildcat will also be available on the CST website as well as all past newsletters for the year.
3) Unless necessary, I try to limit communications to only the weekly newsletter.If you have concerns of missing communications from the school or district, please contact CST at 780-7240 and ask for data operator, Melynda Marquardt. She can update/verify your information on the Synergy student info system.
About the Weekly Wildcat
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year! While there's still some summer remaining, we are certainly gearing up for what will be an amazing school year. This is the first Weekly Wildcat of the school year and I want to take a moment to highlight what you can expect from this newsletter.
- Each week will come with an "at-a-glance" section (see below). This will highlight upcoming and notable events for your planning.
- New information--this is a scrolling newsletter and will have new information in the top half of the page. "New" is considered to be anything that was not in the previous weekly.
- "Repeated but still relevant" section. Anything still relevant from the previous week will be in the recycled section. This section is labeled.
- Pictures from the week! Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @CSTWildcatsMS
- A new newsletter and link will be created weekly and sent out via email.
Of course, another great place to get info on CST is on our website (https://www.olatheschools.org/chisholmtrail). You'll find information about our school, our athletics, and our teachers at this location.
(Originally posted in May) Message to 5th Grade Families...
...WELCOME to the CST Family! This is the Weekly Wildcat newsletter that is emailed weekly to CST families. Below is a brief outline of what to expect out of this weekly communication...
- This newsletter is updated weekly (except during the summer) and sent out each weekend
- You will receive an email letting you know the WW was updated along with a list of new topics
- The newsletter is divided into two parts: new info and "repeated but still relevant"
- This is a great way to stay in the "know" on what is occurring at CST
- In addition, you can also always check out our home page (https://www.olatheschools.org/chisholmtrail/ ) where there is a link to the Weekly Wildcat on the CST home page
- Also, follow us on Twitter @CSTWildcatsms to see learning and activities at CST
- If at any time you feel like you may not be receiving information from the school please contact us at 913-780-7240. Data Operator, Melynda Marquardt (firstname.lastname@example.org), will be able to verify and/or correct the contact info on file.
Recently, I was able to meet our 5th grade students in person! While we weren't able to have an in-person pep assembly like we normally would, we were able to bring a pep assembly to them virtually and share some of the wonderful things available to them at CST! We also had a little surprise for our future wildcats...check out the videos below for your child's school (watch all the way to the end and you may even spot your own child!)
Mr. Sola and the CST wildcat visit 5th Graders!
- Arbor Creek: (https://youtu.be/PxKSbkbym18)
- Madison Place: (https://youtu.be/cPEg5hgjtZI)
- Sunnyside: (https://youtu.be/961o4mHpNsU)
The next scheduled building communication will occur later this summer regarding events and the upcoming school year, but for now, welcome to CST! Please don't hesitate to reach out with questions. CST is a great place to be and we can't wait to have you join the CST Family!
Student Bus Information: DS Bus Lines (913) 361-7400
Fall practices begin on Monday, August 16th with volleyball tryouts and football practice. Cross country practice begins on Tuesday, 8/17. Students MUST have a physical on file to practice/tryout. Students without a physical dated May 1, 2021 or later will not be able to participate until they complete and turn in a physical.
Visit CST's athletics page for coach contact and program info.