July 15, 2021
A Note from Ms. Owens
I hope you and your loved ones are able to enjoy some summer fun! It's hard to believe we'll be back in school in just over a month from now. In light of that reality, I have some information to share with you, and, then you can get back to summer mode!
I'm sure one of the biggest questions on everyone's mind is what is the school year going to look like. Last week, the CDC issued guidance for schools. That information went to the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and then to the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE). ISBE's guidance regarding Covid safety will apply to both public and private schools in the state. Local districts (for us that would be the Archdiocese of Chicago) will use ISBE's guidance in establishing protocols for the coming school year.
- I expect to get information regarding cohorts, distancing, etc. by the end of this week or early next week.
- That information may go directly to school families from the Archdiocese or it may need to come from the school. I don't know yet. Please watch your email.
- According to the Archdiocese, firm information regarding masks will not come for a couple more weeks. I anticipate that really means early August.
Here's what you will find in the rest of this Charger Check-In:
- a sneak peak of our newest Charger -- Emmett Brown
- early information on Packet Pick- Up (more will follow)
- an update on school uniforms and dress code
- re-sharing the tentative school calendar
- information on the return of the Charge On 5K Run/Walk
A Bit More News
- We expect to return to our traditonal 2:45PM dismissal time for the 2021-2022 school year.
- If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email. Scroll down to see local businesses we can support.
Please continue to pray for our medical professionals, our first responders, our essential front line workers as they work to ensure the health and safety of our larger community.
Early Information on Packet Pick-Up Day
- Families that would like to complete all paperwork in advance will have an opportunity to pick up the paperwork envelope on Wednesday, August 11. Any adult can pick up the envelope (neighbors, grandparents, etc.). We will share information about times and location as the date approaches.
- We plan on holding Packet Pick-Up outside in the main parking lot like we did last year. We will have a rain plan in case the weather does not cooperate.
- Families will sign up for time slots. This is to help with the flow of traffic and hopefully avoid lines.
School Uniform and Dress Code
Another area of the school dress code that relaxed due to Covid was sweatshirts and hoodies. Because we had to keep windows open even during the winter months, we were often lax in requiring students to wear SCA uniform sweatshirts. When we resume school in August, K-8 students will be expected to follow the school dress code which means "students may wear St. Catherine uniform crewneck sweatshirts or fleece (optional). Other sweatshirts, including SCA spiritwear and hooded sweatshirts, are not permitted during the school day but are permitted for outdoor activities such as recess" (from the Uniform section of the SCA Student-Parent Handbook).
The 10th Annual Charge On 5K Run/Walk
After taking a year off, we are excited to announce that the 10th Annual Charge On 5K Run/Walk will be taking place on Saturday, August 14th at 8am. You can run, walk, or volunteer for the event! There is something for everyone!
- Below you will find a link to sign up for the race.
- Volunteer sign up information will be coming out soon!
- If you are interested in helping plan the event, please reach out to Kelly Evans at email@example.com.
- Underneath the registration link, you will also find sponsorship materials in the event you or someone you know may be interested in sponsoring our 10th Annual Charge On 5K!
We are so excited to have an in-person event to kick off the new school year! We hope to see everyone there!
Covid Vaccination Information
If you or someone you know wants to get a vaccine, you will find a button below with easy-to-navigate information for Chicago, Cook County and surrounding counties.
The first button has information about vaccines for children age 12+ in suburban Cook County.
**The mega-sites in Cook County are taking a limited number of walk-ups each day - meaning you do not need an appointment.
The Sunday Collection
Visit the link below to set up your recurring contribution. Donors can change the amount of the contribution or pause it at any time.
Ways to Support Our Local Small Businesses
If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email.
This restaurant is owned by the same family that owns Bar 106, where our Queen of Hearts Raffle is hosted.
This full-service fencing company is owned by an SCA family.
This certified public accounting firm is owned by an SCA family.
So Many On-going Ways to Support St. Catherine!
Thursday, August 12
- Packet Pick-Up Day Time TBD
Wednesday, August 18
- Supply Drop-Off for PK, K and 1st Grade from noon to 3PM (times may be adjusted)
Thursday, August 19
First Day of School
- K-8th 8AM-11AM
- PK 8AM - 10AM
Friday, August 20
- PK-8th 8AM-1PM
Monday, August 23
- First Full Day of School