Berkeley Lake ES
"Bear Essentials" Weekly e-Newsletter, May 26, 2021
I want to thank you for all you have done to make this year as successful as possible! You are to be commended for making hard instructional decisions for your child, learning how to navigate Zoom and eCLASS, and supporting our safety protocols. Your commitment to Berkeley Lake Elementary School, and public education, is appreciated more than you know!
All parents of students who have been accepted into our Summer Enrichment and Acceleration program (SEA) should have received a letter from us, which included a car rider tag, if applicable. Those went home in bookbags for students who are here in the building, and we called parents if your child is a digital learner or a rising kindergartener. If you would like to add your child to the waiting list, please fill out this form. All students are invited to participate in the Digital SEA, and I sent information about that to you last week in an email.
Class lists will be posted on July 15th. We post them on the doors to the K/1 hallway, which are located in the lower parking lot/car rider lane. Feel free to come by if you would like to learn your child's teacher before Meet Your Teacher Day on July 30th. We ask that you please not call the front office to learn your child's teacher.
I hope you have a wonderful summer, and we look forward to seeing you on July 30th!
Your Principal and Partner,
A Look Ahead...
Monday, May 31
Monday, June 14 - Friday, July 2
Summer Enrichment and Acceleration
Sunday, June 20
Sunday, July 4
Monday, July 5
School Building Closed in recognition of Independence Day
Saturday, July 17
Students will lose access to current teacher's eClass course pages
Friday, July 30
Meet Your Teacher Day
Wednesday, August 4
1st Day of School for KG, 1st, and Self Contained Special Ed
Thursday, August 5
First Day of School 2nd and 3rd Grades
Monday, August 9
First Day of School 4th and 5th Grades
Wednesday, September 1
Iowa Testing Grade 2
Thursday, September 2
Iowa Testing Grade 2
Friday, September 3
Iowa Testing Grade 2
Monday, September 6
Tuesday, September 14
Digital Learning Day for All Students
Wednesday, September 15
First Day of Hispanic Heritage Month
Order Your School Supplies for Next Year Now!
To see the school supply lists for the fall, click here.
Summer Food Resources and Assistance
- Gwinnett County Public Schools: Information regarding meals during summer school and the K-8 Summer Enrichment and Acceleration program will be communicated with participating families. However, all GCPS families can take advantage of the curbside pickup service for children ages 18 and younger. The meals—both breakfast and lunch—will be provided at 27 middle schools from June 14 to July 2 between 11 a.m. to noon on weekdays. (All middle schools will participate except Five Forks MS and Jones MS, which are undergoing construction.)
- Gwinnett County Community Services is offering free grab-and-go breakfasts and lunches at 25 locations. Curbside pick-up of nutritious meals is for 18 years or younger or those 19 years of age or older with a physical or mental impairment. Click here for a list of county locations and additional information. (https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/web/gwinnett/departments/communityservices/parksandrecreation/gwinnettsummermeals)
- Gwinnett Cares is another resource for families seeking food resources and assistance this summer, available at https://gwinnettcares.org/need-help/individual/food/.
- Families also can find food resources and help with housing and utilities through United Way’s 2-1-1 Contact Center. Learn more at https://www.unitedwayatlanta.org/need-help/.
Is Your Child Going to Be in Kindergarten Next Year?
If you were unable to watch the informational Zoom meeting about kindergarten next year click here to watch a video recording of the meeting.
Also, if you haven't called the school at 770-446-0947 to make an appointment to bring your rising kindergartener in to be screened, please give us a call as soon as possible.
Opportunity for Discounted Portable WiFi Hotspot for Families
Free Vision Care Opportunity
This summer, the Gwinnett County Public Library System, in coordination with Vision To Learn, will offer vision screenings, eye exams, and, if necessary, glasses for your child. These services are free and will be provided at NO COST to you. Quality vision care is an important component of education; students that cannot see often struggle to learn to read, to see the board, and to succeed academically.
See the flyer below for more information.
Transportation for Next School Year
Please note: The form will not be fillable if you downloaded it on your cell phone. It must be downloaded on a computer.
Applications That Will Be Available to Students Over the Summer
- Imagine Learning Literacy (20 minute recommendation per sitting)
- Imagine Learning Math (20 minute recommendation per sitting)
- Typing Club (10 - 15 minute recommendation per sitting)
- Brainpop Jr.
Children will have access to their current teachers' eClass course pages until July 17th but content may not be updated by the teacher during the summer.
Digital textbooks will be available on the My eClass home screen until July 7th.
Summer Reading Challenge
Please click the link below to learn about Gwinnett County Public Library's Summer Reading Challenge! We would like to encourage all BLES students to participate!
Summer Reading 2021 Presentation (in English)
Summer Reading 2021 Presentation (in Spanish)
Parent Involvement Survey for Parents of Special Needs Students
AKS at Home
Camp Invention will now be offered in-person and online! See the flyer below for details. Space is limited so that we can proper all Covid guidelines and stay safe.
Camp Scholarships: We also have a few $100 scholarships that will bring the camp price to $150. Please email or drop the form at school by May 24th or email it to Trina Ashadele.
i9 Sports Summer Camp:
Georgia After School Program (GASP) Will Return Next Fall
We thank The Tutoring Center in Duluth for Being a Business Partner of Our School
Visit the FoodFinder website or download the app to find places nearby where you can get free food and meal assistance.
Do You Have a Parent Portal Account?
If you need to register with the portal, please print and complete this registration form and turn it in to the main office. Along with the completed form, you are required to show a photo I.D. for verification.
Berkeley Lake Recycles
Berkeley Lake recycles aluminum cans and old clothes and shoes (in any condition) in the two bins in the upper parking lot. The Green Team receives 10¢ per pound of donations, which helps pay the fee for the weekly paper and cardboard pick-up. The aluminum cans are recycled at Progressive Recycling on Simpson Circle. Please support our Green Team by recycling these items here at Berkeley Lake. Thank you!
We Collect Box Tops (Online)
Our Parent Center
The Berkeley Lake Parent Center is located across from the front office and it's providing services by appointment. For Parent Center support please call Ms. Sandra Orci, Parent Liaison, at 678-291-4232 or email her at Sandra.Orci@gcpsk12.org