November 5, 2017
Upcoming This Week:
Monday, November 6th
- No School - Student Holiday
Tuesday, November 7th
- Begin 3rd Six Weeks
- 6th grade Running Club 3:30 p.m.
Wednesday, November 8th
- 5th-grade UIL Writing Competition
- Fall Picture Retakes (see form below)
- NHS Tutoring 3:30-4:20
Thursday, November 9th
- 5th-grade Reading Benchmark
- BJH Lady Eagles basketball vs Millsap @ 4:30
- BJH Football at Breckenridge
Friday, November 10th
- Student Council at State Conference in San Marcos (10th & 11th)
- Soaring Eagle Breakfast 7:30 a.m.
- 5th grade AR Movie Day
Coyote Chase Race: Brock Junior High is competing as a campus in the upcoming Coyote Chase Race sponsored by Weatherford College. The event will be held on Saturday, November 18th starting at 9:00 am. There is a 5k (3.1 miles) or a one-mile run that morning. If you would like to participate, you can pick up a form in the Junior High office or register online at www.wc.edu/chaserace
If you sign up as a member of the Brock Team, packets will be delivered to the Junior High prior to the race. If you have any questions, contact Bobby Atchley at email@example.com.
UIL: UIL practices are off and running. The 5th grade District UIL Meet is December 5th. 6th - 8th grade District UIL Meet is December 12th.
Summer Reading Books: If you have books from this summer's reading that you no longer want to store, please feel free to donate those to the library. Questions about other possible book donations can be directed to Angela Grimm - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Events Around the Area
Starbucks is doing Buy one get one Free November 9th - 13th!
Picture Retakes November 8th (form attached)
Dress Code Concerns
There are a few things that need to be specifically addressed that seem to be consistent:
- Boys: The biggest concern we see is boys that have long hair that extends below the eyebrow but they push it to the side so that it is not in front of their eyes. This is not in compliance with the policy. If the hair extends below the eyebrows then it is too long.
- Girls: There are lots of cute tops that are being worn that have large v-neck cuts that are showing the girls undergarments underneath. There should be no undergarment item showing on the young ladies.
The Dress Code Policy has not changed since last year, but if you need to reference it, click here and then scroll to page 37. If you have questions, please let us know.
Armed Forces Display
Eagle Garden - something we are working toward.....
Our primary goal of the Eagle Garden is to enrich the curriculum and support project-based and experiential learning. This outdoor learning center will allow for all levels of students to engage in agricultural practices on a small scale, learning about the responsibilities and impacts of land cultivation. We are currently in the planning phase of the Eagle Garden but would welcome any community support to help get this off the ground and to fruition by the start of next school year. Please direct questions/ideas/support to Nancy Beaty @ email@example.com
BJH Grading Policy
- Daily grades = 50%; tests/projects/major grades = 50%
- There will be a minimum of 8-10 daily grades each six weeks.
- There will be a minimum of 2-4 test/project/major grades each six weeks.
- Grades will be posted to parent portal no later than 1 week from the due date of the assignment
- Work missed as a result of an unexcused absence will receive a grade no higher than a 70.
*Individual teacher discretion regarding his/her late work policy.
BJH Lunch Times
5th grade: 10:55 a.m. - 11:25 a.m.
6th grade: 12:30 p.m. - 1;00 p.m.
7th grade: 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
8th grade 12:00 p.m. - 12:30 p.m.