Boone Meadow Flyer
Summer Update Edition From Boone Meadow Elementary School
From the Eagles' Nest:
Dear Boone Meadow Families –
The summer days are flying by, and I hope that everyone is enjoying a fantastic summer with family and friends. Hasn’t the weather been incredible? It’s been invigorating! However, we know that can easily change at the drop of a hat as we draw close to July.
Although children and teachers aren't currently filling the learning spaces, the schoolhouse has been extremely busy with various projects since the last day with students. Planning and preparation fills the agenda for the office team, and a handful of teachers are having a difficult time staying away as we look forward to the 2017-2018 school year. Mrs. Lauren Kersey (our new assistant principal) and I are in frequent dialogue as she prepares to officially begin at BME in mid-July. In addition, a majority of our teachers participated in professional development during the month of June, and they are strategically reflecting on how to implement some of their new learning. I admire this team of educators as they are always looking for ways to become stronger and elevate their practices in order to serve you and your child more completely.
As we draw near the end of June, a few items to keep in mind:
- School Supplies: This is the last call to order your child’s classroom supplies and have them delivered to your child’s classroom for the first day of school. See PTO/Jenn Sproull’s message below.
- Office is open until Friday afternoon: We are going to take a little time off starting next week. Although we will be in the building, periodically working on projects, the office will open back up to public the week of July 31st.
- New Family Night – Tuesday, August 1st. If you are new to Boone Meadow, did not attend Kindergarten Round-up, and/or haven’t been in the building, please mark your calendar on Tuesday evening, August 1st for an orientation to Boone Meadow. This is for newly enrolled families. Time yet to be determined.
- (FREE) Strong in Every Way Event – Please consider attending a 90-minute keynote by Derek Peterson at the ZCHS Performing Arts Center on Thursday afternoon, August 3, 2017, at either 4:00PM or 7:00PM. Tickets are free, but must be reserved in advance. Click here to order free tickets. Mr. Peterson is a must-see presenter for all parents and community members. Here is a flyer about this event: Parent and Community Webs of Youth Support PRINTABLE.pdf
- Open House/Meet and Greet – On Monday evening, August 7th, (5:30-7:00) the school is open for all families in order to reconnect with classmates and visit your classroom. During this time, students can drop off school supplies, say hello to their teacher, and get those last few questions answered. We conclude the evening at 7:00 in order to be well-prepared and well-rested for our first day of school on Tuesday, August 8th.
Have a safe and happy 4th of July!
Tom Hundley, Principal
1st Day School Supplies (A service organized by Boone Meadow PTO)
LAST CALL!!! You have until this Friday (June 30th) to get the exact supplies your teacher requested to be delivered to the school with the name brands you trust. The very last day to purchase from 1st Day School Supplies is June 30th. This summer, why not save the hassle, time and runaround that usually comes with last minute back to school shopping by purchasing all your supplies from 1st Day School Supplies. It will save you both time and money! All you have to do is click the ad below to get started.
Upcoming Events & Important Info
Summer office hours:
June weekdays - 8:00-2:00
July 3- July 28 - Office closed to public
July 31 - Office reopens to the public
August 1 - New Family Orientation
August 3 & 4 - Professional development days for staff/teachers
August 3 - Derek Petersen keynote at Zionsville Performing Arts Center (Free event - secure free tickets in advance)
August 7 - Open House/Meet and Greet - 5:30-7:00
August 8 - First day of school
Check here to see what else is going on in our community.
Strong in Every Way
Click here to learn more about ZCS's human capital campaign!
Registration for 2017-2018
State law stipulates that the medical records of children on file at school show the required immunizations have been completed by the 20th day of the school year. That day is September 5, 2017. Information regarding immunizations requirements for 2017-2018 can be found here.
Parents of children whose immunizations are not up-to-date should contact their health care provider or the Boone County Health Department to schedule an appointment for the necessary immunizations. Some pharmacies also carry the necessary vaccines.
If parents object to immunizations, a written objection must be on file in the school office by September 5, 2017. This must be updated yearly. Children who do not have up to date vaccination records by that date will not be allowed to return to school until the proper immunization information is on file. Students who have appointments with their health care provider after Sept. 5th 2017, must present proof of the scheduled appointment in order to remain in school.
Medication Pick up in the Health Clinic
We are asking for your assistance in picking up any medication that your child currently may have in the health care clinic by May 26, 2017. The clinic is open on school days from 8:00-4:00.
For the safety of our students, all medication must be transported to and from school by an parent/guardian. Any medication that is left in the clinic will be discarded by St. Vincent health professionals.
Please contact Amy Deinlein in the clinic with any questions or concerns.
(317) 873-226 x14104
Build, Grow, Read Together!
Boone Meadow Elementary is partnering with Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library for a fun-filled summer reading challenge. Start reading when school ends and keep track of your reading on new reading platform called Beanstack! All our reading incentive programs for all ages (Winter Reading, Summer Reading, 1,000 Books Before Kindergaten, etc), book lists, and special activities will be updated on this site. They will be able to sign up anytime and then on June 5th those that want to record online may start. We will continue to have a log so that children can mark their logs. Choose to record your reading: 1) number of books (For Babies- Grade 3 only), 2) number of hours, or 3) number of days (20 minutes or more each day).
Dates: Mon., June 5 - Sat., July 29
Start reading when school gets out
- All readers who have started to record reading by Thursday, June 8th are invited to the Ice Cream Social! 6:30 - 8 PM or Friday June 9th, 10-1 PM!
- Grand-prize winners for Adult, Teen, and Children will each receive a Kindle Fire! See details to learn how to be eligible.
- The first 1,000 readers who have read and RECORDED 3 books, hours or days will receive a Super Punch Balloon!
- Set a goal to achieve "50" books, hours (3,000 minutes), or days and get a chance at the Grand Prize Drawing!
- In August, Zionsville Community Schools’ Literacy Coaches will be having a Popsicle Party for those that reach "50"!
- This program is flexible, fun, and challenging for all reading levels.
- The Prize Zone opens on Monday, June 12th. Earn tokens to spend at each prize level. Trade your token for a book, chance at a weekly drawing or prize in the Prize Zone!