December 2, 2019
Getting Ready for Computer Science Education Week!
Want to Start a Spirited "Discussion?" Check Out This Article about Teachers Pay Teachers!
Statewide Writing Contest for Grades 4-12 / Write a Letter to an Author / Win prizes! Get Your Students Published!
Letters About Literature is a letter writing contest for students in Indiana in grades 4-12. Students are asked to read a book, poem or speech and write to the author (living or deceased) about how the book affected how they see themselves or how they see the world.
The 2019-20 Letters About Literature contest for young readers is made possible by the James and Madeleine McMullen Family Foundation and the Indiana State Library Foundation.
THE STATE LIBRARY IS NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS!
How to Talk to Middle Schoolers about What Matters Most
EVERFI Webinar This Thursday: "Classroom Mental Health Strategies for Students & Teachers"
EVERFI is hosting a special webinar in partnership with edWeb - “Classroom Mental Health Strategies for Students and Teachers.” They will be talking with mental health expert Erin McClintock and veteran teacher Kimberly Palocsay about ways to incorporate mental wellness education in your instruction.
The current research on student mental health
Strategies for supporting student (and teacher) well-being
Practical ways to encourage mental wellness in your classroom
The webinar is at 3pm Eastern Time on Thursday, December 5th. Participants can register here and will get a certificate for one hour of professional development from edWeb.
(EVERFI manager Kaley Esselborn presented at our conference, and we featured them in our recent print newsletter.)
Highlights included in this Weekly Update (can download below): Thank You for sharing these Updates with your staff.
- NEW Spotlight on Service-Learning article, written by Beth Smith our INSPIRE3 program Consultant, Thankful for Cultural Competence through Service-Learning
- Check out many Snapshots of Service-Learning Stories
- INSPIRE3 will exhibit and present session at the upcoming IAG conference
- LTG TeachOne GivingTuesday Dec. 3- Lesson and project
- LTG December Moments of Service/Calendar
- generationOn Website December Projects/Resources
- Introducing you to our New INSPIRE3 Ambassadors
- INSPIRE3 Mini-Grants available for 2019-2020 school year.
- INSPIRE3 contact information for free on site PD or interest in area workshop
- Our INSPIRE3 webpage is found on our INSPIRE3 tab on the IMLEA website here and under “About” on the IASP website here Connect and find helpful information.
December 3: DOE Webinar: Growing Your Computer Science Program, 4 pm ET
December 4: #GivingTuesday (DonorsChoose projects get 50% match, starting 7 am)
December 5: EVERFI webinar with edWeb, 3 pm ET
December 5: Webinar: Bridging the Gap Between Science and Coding in the Classroom, 5 pm ET
December 7: Indiana Author Fair, Indiana Historical Society (includes free admission to Festival of Trees), Noon-4 pm ET
December 9-15: Hour of Code/CS Education Week
December 10: edWeb webinar- Building STEAM Confidence and Creativity in Middle School, 3 pm
December 12: AMLE Webinar-The Promise of Adolescence: Rethinking Middle Level Education to Reflect Our Understanding of Adolescent Development, 4 pm ET
December 21-January 8: #DitchSummit is back!
Until Next Week....
Please send Susie Highley any ideas or suggestions of things to be included. We would love to feature more school activities! We are now sending the Monday Minute to members only, but we invite you to forward it to anyone who might be interested. You can also access it via this link on our webpage, and you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Next week's Monday Minute will be the last one of 2019!