Welcome Back to School!
Sunflower Families and Scholars
Welcome Message From Ms. Blevins
Molly Kaup-Special Education
Caitlin DeFilippo-Art Teacher
Daniel Byers-Kindergarten Teacher
Randa Lewis-Kindergarten Teacher
Emma Olander-1st Grade Teacher
William Mockry-3rd Grade Teacher
Maggie Kilday-4th Grade Teacher
Chuck Watson and Lisa McDermott-4th Grade
Due to enrollment numbers we added a section at kindergarten, 1st 3rd and 4th grades! We are happy to announce that our very own former Intervention teacher, Lisa McDermott will be doing her student teaching in 4th grade under the mentorship of Chuck Watson, Long-term Substitute.
We are also excited to announce Mindy King will be moving to a Certified Interventionist position for the 21-22 school year.
Parent Teacher Conferences-Listening and Learning
- Parent Teacher Conferences will be held Monday, August 16th from 1:00-6:00pm and Tuesday, August 17th from 8:30-11:30am.
- Conferences will take place in person at Sunflower but a virtual conference via Webex can be arranged upon request.
- There will be no Sneak Peek this year so students should bring their supplies to their P/T conference, you will also get your car tag. You MUST have this car tag to go through the car line on day one. If you cannot make it to parent teacher conferences you may also drop off supplies and pick up your car tag on Wednesday, August 18th from 9:00AM-11:00AM in the circle drive.
- There will be a link for you to sign up for your conference when you get your class placement letter on the 11th.
- Remember we are also sending fun scratch off postcards so scholars can scratch off to see their teacher so you may not want to share what you find out in your email if you want your child to find out via the postcard.
Daily Operations Information
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
Doors open at 8:30AM every morning.
Daily Office Hours:
- If your child will be absent or late to school please call the main phone number at 785-832-5870 and we will excuse the absence.
- 10 absences (either excused or unexcused) are considered excessive and the school will notify families once a student reaches this point. An attendance plan may be put in place and a doctor's note will be required in order to excuse the absence. A Covid quarantine situation may be an exception.
- Truancy is filed when a child had 3 consecutive unexcused absences,
- Breakfast and lunch are free for all students again this school year
- Breakfast will be eaten in the classrooms
- Grade levels will rotate between eating in the cafe and eating in the classrooms for lunch in order to keep our numbers lower in the cafe and to insure all students, provide more spacing and are facing one direction when eating.
- School supply lists are attached at the end of this newsletter
- If you are in need of school supplies please fill out the form attached below
- If you are unable to come to parent teacher conferences on the 16th and 17th, we will have a supply drop off in our circle drive on Wednesday, August 18th from 9:00AM-11:00AM
- Students should bring their iPads and chargers on the first day of school and they will keep them at school this year, students will not bring them home
- New students and kindergarten will be issued an iPad within the first couple of weeks of school
Arrival Dismissal Procedures
Car Line Procedure
First Day Of Kindergarten Logistics:
We are so excited to get to transition our kinders a day before everyone else! Here are some things for the first day, Wednesday August 18th:
- Doors open at 8:30AM and we will provide breakfast
- Students stand on the painted dots on the playground until it is time to go in the building
- Kindergarten students enter the building through the East side door off the playground
- On a typical day you drop off in the car line and students walk to their doors with the help of staff, however for the first day Sunflower staff will park at SWMS so our parking lot will be open for parents to park if they want to walk their students to the door
- Please do not park in the circle drive
- Parents are not allowed inside the building but you may wait with your child on the playground, take pictures and watch them walk into the building
- Dismissal will run just like a regular dismissal (see the arrival/dismissal section for guidance
- We dismiss at noon and lunch will not be served
The Ages and Stages Questionnaires (ASQ) is required for all incoming kindergarten students. You can access the questionnaires to fill out using the links below. This is required by the state for all incoming kindergarten students. Thank you to those who have already completed it! This is due Sept. 20
From the Desk of Julie Boyle
One parent/guardian from each school family must complete, electronically sign, and submit through their PowerSchool account the new Household Economic Survey by September 15, 2021. This short survey asks for the total number of people in the household and their total annual income. The survey is confidential. Its submission is required for the district to receive its full federal and state funding.The district also will use this survey to determine a family's eligibility for waivers of school fees. The following links include a cover letter about the new Household Economic Survey (Spanish translation pending), instructions in English/Spanish, and a communications plan for sharing the information with all families. ** Administrative Assistants did receive this information.
Internet Access Information
Boys and Girls Club
Boys and Girls Club of Lawrence is its own organization that operates out of Sunflower Elementary for before and after school care. Please see the information below from BGC regarding this year's programming.
August 23: First day of BGCLK Fall Program
BGCLK is aware that members currently on our waitlists for the fall are anxious to hear news on when enrollment will open back up. We want to assure you we will be checking our numbers weekly to assess our ability to allow more members to attend. Right now our biggest barrier is finding enough quality mentors to staff our programs. All of our fall positions are posted on our website at bgclk.org/careers. Please feel free to share our website widely in your networks. Having enough staff members is integral to the safe operations of our programs. We are doing everything we can to amp up our recruitment efforts because we know you all need after-school care for your children! We will keep you posted and do everything we can to get the waitlists opened up!
Important Upcoming Dates
11 - Class Placement Email Sent (special scratch off postcard in mail for students)
15 - PTO Sponsored Popsicles on the Playground (1:00-Kindergarten, 2:30-First Grade)16 - Parent Teacher Conferences
17 - Parent Teacher Conferences
18 - Kindergarten First Day! (half day in AM)
19 - First Day of School (1st-5th)
23 - BGC First Day of Program