By:Brennan McCormick 7th period Mrs.Mcqueen
FUN FACTS ABOUT INDIA
- India has the second largest population in the world, with over 1.2 billion people (1,205,073,612 as of July 2012).
- The most popular sport in India is cricket, with the Indian team being the first to win the Cricket World Cup on home soil when they were victorious in 2011.
- India hosted the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, but has never hosted the Olympic Games.
India is the seventh largest country by total area.
The highest mountain in India is Kanchenjunga, standing at 8,598m (28,209 ft), which it shares with Nepal. Kanchenjunga is the third highest mountain in the world.
Why Most Indian's Are Vegetarians
Map of India
Tweets From Gandhi
Biography of Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhi fought in South Africa for civil rights.Gandhi was arrested by the british.Gandhi was tried in March of 1922 for sedition.He was sentenced to 6 years in prison.Gandhi was released in 1924 after undergoing an operation for appendicitis.In January of 1948 Gandhi was on his way to a prayer meeting in Delhi when he was shot to death by Nathuram Godse.
Postcard From the Taj Mahal
Timeline of Indian History
- 2007- Pratibha Patil becomes the first female President of India.
- 2004-2005-A series of natural disasters, including floods, earthquakes and tsunamis, brings destruction to southern coastal communities
- 2000-India's population exceeds 1 billion.
- 1998-India tests its first nuclear weapon, one of only seven nations to have done so.
- 1983-India wins the cricket world cup.
- 1966-Indira Gandhi (not related to Mahatma) becomes Prime Minister and one of the first women elected to lead a nation.
- 1948-Mahatma Gandhi is assassinated.
- 1947-India gains independence from the British
- 1947-Is divided into two countries India and Muslim-controlled Pakistan.
- 1858-The British overthrow the Moguls and take control of India.
India wins cricket world cup
Mahatma Gandhi is assassinated
A series of natural disasters, including floods, earthquakes and tsunamis, brings destruction to southern coastal communities
Hinduism is an ancient world religion with no known founder or known date of origin. The term "Hinduism" simply comes from the word "India" and refers to a wide variety of religious traditions and philosophies that have developed in India over thousands of years. Most Hindus worship one or more deities, believe in reincarnation, value the practice of meditation, and observe festive holidays like Diwali and Holi.The law of karma that determines one's destiny both in this life and the next.The Brahmans are the priests.The existence of an enduring soul that transmigrates from one body to another at death (also known as reincarnation).Dharma is one's destiny or purpose.3 Hindu Deities are Devi,Ganesha, and Shiva.