Mrs. Ralston's Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- Friday, Dec. 4 - No school for students or staff in lieu of Student Led Conferences.
- Friday, Dec. 11 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack and return Star Homework);
- Wednesday, Dec. 16 - Aspen Grove Family Christmas Celebration 5:30-7:30 pm (more information below).
- Friday, Dec. 18 - FULL Day Friday; X-mas Hat Day; Last day of school before Christmas Holidays.
- Monday, January 4 - School resumes.
1) Literacy: This week we were introduced to 2 new characters who will help us remember the letters and sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about Max the Ox and Zackery Zebra. Then have them tell you what sound these characters likes the best, and what letter or letter combinations represent that sound. Max the Oxl (X, x, ks) and Zackery Zebra (Z, z, s, x, se, xe, zz).
2) Sight Words: Our new sight words of the week were "my" and "by". Feel free to make new flashcards with these words to add to your current collection for Star Homework practice. These words have taught us that the letter y can be both a vowel and a consonant. When it is being a vowel it can say the long e sound or the long i sound (like in my and by).