Carver Middle School Newsletter
March 21, 2021
Greetings Carver Cougars!
Hopefully everyone had time to enjoy our beautiful Spring weather today. Special congratulations to our 274 students who made the Honor Roll during the first semester! Parents will receive a separate email from me congratulating our students. As you are aware, the third nine weeks grading period ends next Thursday, 4/1/2021. It is important to continue to check Parentvue and Studentvue. This is the perfect time to make sure that your student is caught up on assignments and turns in anything that may be missing. Please do not hesitate to reach out to teachers, counselors and/or the appropriate administrator if your student is in need of support.
If your student attends school in-person, please remember to keep your child home if he/she is feeling ill. Important updates and our Covid-19 self-assessment form are included in the Carver MS Clinic Newsletter below.
Eighth grade students are scheduled to take the Writing SOL over the next two weeks. Please reach out to Mrs. Gordon at Karen_Gordon@ccpsnet.net with any testing questions or concerns.
Please see the updated links below to sign your child up for Spring Sports.
Thanks and have a great week!
Anthony J. McLaurin, Ed.D.
G.W. Carver MS
Carver MS Clinic March 2021 Newsletter- Please click below for important clinic/health updates
Congratulations to the Cougar Players and our Drama program on their outstanding performances this week!
CCPS Online will be opening registration for the 2021-22 school year on February 1 and will take registrations until July 9, 2021. Additional information and the link to register can be found on the CCPS Online website. Students may register for a full course load if they would like to remain virtual for the 2021-22 school year or they may take supplemental classes while taking a full course load at their home school (fees are required for this option).
For the 2021-22 regular school year, any resident student seeking one additional course through CCPS Online will be granted a full fee waiver upon request. This is a change. Registration for summer courses is underway. Registration for summer Health/PE 9 will close on May 19. Registration for all other classes this summer will close on June 23.
Carver MS counselors are happy to answer all questions related to CCPS Online options.
Return to Learning Updates
Buses and car riders will begin arriving at the school building at 7:10 AM. The plan is to begin allowing students into the school building at this time (7:10 AM). A member of the team will be outside at both locations to make sure everyone knows when it is time to begin entering the building.
In order to dismiss in a safe and socially distanced manner, we will have three waves (Wave 1 (1:55) – Car Riders whose last name starts with the letters A-K, Wave 2 (2:00 PM) – Car Riders whose last name starts with the letters L-Z, and all of our students riding the school bus (2:05 PM).
Families who are picking students up – please do me the favor of being in the parent pick up loop at the appropriate time. I would ask that parents/families who are picking up in Wave 1 to begin arriving at 1:45 PM. Parents/families who are picking up students in Wave 2, please do not arrive at the school building until 1:55 PM. We will do our very best to make this a smooth process for everyone, but we know it will be a learning curve. We ask for your patience as we work to get the process more efficient during this first week.
3. Safety and Social Distancing
- We will not use lockers
- Students will be socially distanced in the hallways
- Students will be socially distanced when waiting on a bus or a car ride in the afternoon
- Masks are required at all times
- Shields are required when students are within 6 feet of one another in classrooms
- The daily health assessment – it is important that students do not come to school if they are not feeling well.
Hidden Figures -Movies in the Park Night @ The Chester YMCA!
Thursday, April 1st, 8-10pm
3011 West Hundred Road
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
- March 23 & 25- Virtual Students- 8th Grade Writing SOL
- March 29- Spring Sports Tryouts Begin
- March 30 & April 1- In-Person Students- 8th Grade Writing SOLs
- March 31- Picture Make-up day
- April 1- End of the 3rd Nine Weeks Grading Period
- April 1- Hidden Figures Movies in the Park Night @ the Chester YMCA.
- April 2-9- Spring Break (No school)
Make Up Picture Day Update!
For students returning to face-to-face learning: If your child was not already photographed, face-to-face make-up picture day is March 31, 2021. Please just send your child picture ready to school on 3/31/21. Please wear solid, bright colors to enhance your portrait. Avoid reflective jewelry.
- If your child has already been photographed they will not be photographed again. Makeup pictures are only for students that have yet to take a picture.
- Retakes are only available for students that purchased a package and are unsatisfied with their picture. Return the original, complete package to the photographer. Order your pictures online at www.candidcolor.net. Select Underclass Portraits. Our school’s access code is: CVMPREPAY Follow the on-screen instructions
- For virtual students: We will be having a make-up day where you will be able to sign-up to come into school, on March 31, 2021. You will be able to sign up for a time from 3-4pm. Please see the attached flyer for sign ups.
- Students MUST sign up for an appointment: www.pickatime.com/candidcolor/carver We cannot take same-day appointments or assist those that do not schedule in advance.
Yearbook Updates from Mrs. Boyd!
Follow us on our New Official Pages for upcoming news and highlights!
IG - @gwcarver.middle
Twitter - @gwcarvermiddle
Please us the following to upload your own pictures to the yearbook:
Link to upload photos:
If you are prompted to enter a User ID, your user ID is 415793944
Or you may send photos to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This year has been exceptionally different for each and every one of us. Let’s end this year strong and make an extra effort to build our community and promote KINDNESS! Please take photos or send a written blurb to Michelle Boyd of our Carver students showing KINDNESS for an opportunity to be featured in our 20/21 Cougar Yearbook. Please be sure to include your student’s name and grade!
If you are posting on your own social media please tags us and use the following hashtags:
IG - @gwcarver.middle
Twitter - @gwcarvermiddle
Hidden Figures Updated Download
Unfortunately we received the incorrect edition of Hidden Figures from the publisher last week. Please share the directions below with your student to download the young readers version of the text tomorrow, 3/1/21.
The download is now available!
1.Open Mackin Via with the icon on their Rapid Identity dashboard.
2. Click the blue backpack circle beside their name or ID number at the top of the screen.
3. Click "class sets" from the drop down menu.
4. Enter "482AHX" in the code box.
5. When they hit "enter" the new YOUNG READER'S EDITION of Hidden Figures should appear. That's the correct edition we'll be using now We are reading chapter 4 and 5 (page 26-36) today.
Thank you to everyone who joined our scheduling sessions last week. As you are aware, the scheduling window was scheduled to close on Friday, 2/26/2021. Counselors are working back to address a few classes who were missed because of inclement weather earlier this month.
If you have not done so, please log onto Studentvue to update your child's schedule as soon as possible. Please reach out to your student's counselor if you have scheduling questions regarding the 2021-2022 school year.
Carver MS School Counseling Assignments 2020-2021
Flex Block Update
Fridays (Office Hours)- Teacher will communicate with students to set up meets for assignments, check-ins, re-teaching and/or make up work. If your student does not have meetings scheduled, they may utilize this time to work on assignments independently.
Wells Athletic Association
Students may apply at: https://coderva.org/
Curbside Library Pickup
Pledge of Allegiance Google Meet Link!
Please be sure to share the new Google Meet link below with your Cougar to join us for the Pledge of Allegiance live link daily at 7:35 am!
Join the Carver MS Anime Club!
Share the Love with the Carver Staff!
Carver Attendance Line
Support and Self- Care During COVID-19
COVID-19 Support from the Viriginia Department of health: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/chesterfield/.
Please take a look at the COVID-19 Resources link. As we are all dealing with difficult times children and adults both may benefit from ideas and resources to help us to cope positively with our present reality.
Message from our School Nurse Mrs. Geisz
Here are a few reminders from the school clinic, even though we are starting school virtual all of the following are still required for this school year:
1. Proof of immunization: For a complete list of all required immunizations please see the Virginia Department of health link https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/ There are 2 Middle School specific requirements. Note :Effective July 1, 2019, a booster dose of Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the 7th grade. Also note: Effective October 1, 2008, a complete series of 3 doses of HPV vaccine is required. The first dose shall be administered before the child enters the 6th grade, however with HPV, after reviewing educational materials approved by the Board of Health, the parent or guardian, at the parent’s or guardian’s sole discretion, may elect for the child not to receive the HPV vaccine.
2. Immunization records can be faxed to 804.520.0189 to the School Nurse.
3. Update Individual Health service plan: If your child lives with any of the following:
- Life-threatening allergies
- Or any other health concern that requires medication or specific health related procedures while in school please make sure that we have an updated health service plan and/or medication administrations forms. Required forms can be found here https://mychesterfieldschools.com/family-and-community-engagement/preparing-for-school/student-health-and-safety/
4. Please keep in mind due to COVID 19 the use of nebulizers will not be allowed this school year, so please make sure to discuss plans for treatment with your physician if your child has asthma.
I am looking forward to supporting your child to be safe, healthy and ready to learn at Carver Middle School! If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email me at email@example.com or call me at 804.524.3620 ext.143.
Use the PTA website at: https://carverpta.ptboard.com/ to sign up.
1. Log in or create an account.
2. On the "Join School" pop up screen enter code: 9XKCHR.
3. Sign up to assist with events, purchase spirit wear, raise funds and assist the PTA in supporting our students!