Team 9 Update
April 24, 2020
Having Technology Issues?? Call 785-717-4357 to reach the Help Desk! (717-HELP)
Grading Policy at JCMS- Grades will be posted to Skyward
- Live Meetings for 2nd, 3rd, 4th hours
Tuesday, April 28
- Live Meetings for 5th, 6th, 7th hours
Wednesday, April 29
- Live Meetings for 2nd, 3rd, 4th hours
Thursday, April 30
- Live Meetings for 5th, 6th, 7th hours
Friday, May 30
- Office Hours 8AM to 10AM and 1PM to 3PM
-May 1st- online enrollment for next year opens
-May 4th- NO SCHOOL
-May 21st- Last Day of School
Team 9 Core Classes
Even though we would all much rather be in school and seeing each other in person, Team 9 students are doing an AMAZING job with online learning! I could not be more proud of how these students have adapted to a brand new style of learning. Keep on going, Team 9! You're doing an awesome job :)
We will be completing our last unit of the year (Unit 4) through Schoology. You will see in your Language Arts Schoology that there is a purple Unit 4 folder. Unit 4 will revolve around the novel The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. Students should be completing two lessons every week. Each lesson usually involves reading an excerpt from Anne's diary and responding to it in writing. Please contact me if you're struggling or need help with these two lessons every week. I do not want my lessons to put extra stress on anyone during this already stressful time!
Unfortunately we don't have time to read the whole novel with our current situation, so I have picked out 10 important excerpts for us to read throughout this unit. Students do not need a copy of this novel as I will be posting the assigned readings in Schoology.
Please message me through Schoology or send me an e-mail at LindsayMurphy@usd475.org if you need ANYTHING at all. Just because we aren't meeting in person doesn't mean we can't communicate every day! I am here for you.
Here's to a great 4th week of online learning!
Hello, Students & Families!
Students have done wonderfully adjusting to this new normal! I am so proud of their hard work and flexibility. Way to go families!
We are working on the skills that students will need to be successful in 9th grade. The first 2 weeks were review. Last week, we debuted new material- the Pythagorean Theorem. (My favorite thing to teach!) Next week, we will be learn how to tell if 3 side lengths make a right triangle (the Converse of the Pythagorean Theorem) and apply what we know to solve real world problem.
Grading: Students will have one graded assignment per week in the classwork/homework category and 2 assessments for this quarter. I update grades on Friday by 3pm. Our current graded assignments are:
Week 1: in the April 7th folder
Week 2: in the April 16th folder
Assessment 1- in the April 21 folder
Week 3: in the April 24 folder
Please reach out if you are having troubles or spending more than 30 minutes per day. I am here to help!
US History - Trenary
Team 9 Family!
WELCOME BACK VIDEO
I have been feeling many of the same feelings you have felt over these past few weeks:
worry, sadness, confusion, and of course, hope.
I genuinely miss all of you and wish we could be back to normal, but we will try to find a new normal together.
We are living through History right now. It is more than a little bit scary, things are very different, and everything is changing so quickly that it is hard to know what will come next. It is so important to be there for your family and to be kind and loving to them. Just like all of the families on this team, as a parent I have my 3 sons home with me and we are trying to make the best of it.
As we start a new routine with online learning, we will take it slow and the first week we will start a new project that I want to be meaningful and personal and that is taking time to write and journal about the history that we are now a part of. We know the thoughts, feelings, and daily lives of so many throughout the past because they chose to write it down and record what was going on, particularly in difficult times.
Just like many people in the past, we don't always get to choose or control events that we are put in to, but we can rise to the challenge. I am here to help and support you as we try to figure out this new chapter in history.
I will see you online soon!
Keep checking your emails frequently for information. This week we will be continuing in our Genetics Lesson. Because Genetics in general is a much more complex topic and is challenging enough in the classroom, it is important for students to do the lessons as well as the graded assignments. That being said, it is not my intention to overwhelm students. If your student is feeling so, please communicate with me sooner rather than later, so I can help!
Due to online learning, our Human Health and Sexuality unit has been modified. We will be going over the following topics:
- Substance abuse - alcohol and other drugs
- Skin Safety
- Infectious Diseases - how they spread
- Non-Infectious Diseases - not all diseases are contagious
- Consent Laws and where to find them
Again, if students are looking for something else to do, they can always write me a letter and send it via snail mail! I PROMISE to reply to every letter I receive! The address to send it to would be:
3204 Claflin Rd,
Manhattan, KS 66503
I miss each and every one of your smiling faces, I look forward to seeing you all again soon!
Hey Team 9!
Keep checking your emails if you have me as a teacher, I will be sending out information to my CAT Time and Math Classes about starting online learning on April 6th!
- Remember, CAT Time Virtual Meeting on Tuesday at 1:30 pm.
- My 2nd and 3rd hour Math Classes meet on Thursday.
- Check your Schoology page for updates on times and links.
Please stay safe and turn your minds on to learn so we can start fresh on Monday. I can't wait to see all of your smiling faces again!
FREE MEAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR OUR STUDENTS...
MEAL SERVICE UPDATE
The following locations are available for grab and go lunches for children beginning March 30th (please note that Westwood Elementary has been added):
11:30 AM – 12:30 PM Monday - Friday
- Early Childhood Center – 1803 Elmdale Ave
- H.D. Karns Building – 300 W 9th (Parking lot in back)
- Grandview Elementary – 109 E Grandview (Grandview Plaza)
- Milford Elementary – 402 12th St (Milford)
- Seitz Elementary – 27500 Rifle Range Rd (Fort Riley)
- Sheridan Elementary – 429 W Ash
- Spring Valley Elementary – 1601 Hickory Ln
- Washington Elementary – 1500 N Washington
- Westwood Elementary – 1600 N Eisenhower
Meals are free for ALL children age 1-18. Children receive a lunch and a breakfast for the next day. Children must be present to receive the meals.
United Way of JC-GC also provides family meal kits which are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Continuous Learning Schedule
- Skyward- access grades, attendance, schedules, meal balance and more.
- Schoology- communicate with teachers and access classwork/homework.
- Team 9 Updates- Here you will find an archive of Team 9 updates. Be sure to check out the most recent one for the most up to date information.
- JCMS- Our school website.
- Junction City Middle School Facebook Page
- Junction City Middle School Parent Support Team Facebook Page
- JCMS Student Handbook
Haga clic aquí para ver las instrucciones en video para la traducción en Schoology
Traducción de Schoology, segunda parte/ Schoology Translation Part Two
Traducción de Schoology, segunda parte
Instrucciones para traducir TODAS las páginas/documentos/recursos de Schoology
1. Abra Chrome en su computadora.
2. En la esquina superior derecha, haga clic en los tres puntos verticales al lado del icono de persona.
3. En el menú desplegable, seleccione SETTINGS (AJUSTES).
4. Desplácese hasta la parte inferior de la página y haga clic en Advanced (Avanzado).
5. En el cuadro de Language (idioma), haga clic en la flecha desplegable (a la derecha) y haga clic en ADD LANGUAGES (AGREGAR IDIOMAS) que está en negrita.
6. Seleccione de la lista de idiomas y agregue (add).
7. Una vez que aparezca el idioma, haga clic en los tres puntos verticales a la derecha. Aparecerá un mensaje en un cuadro. Seleccione DISPLAY GOOGLE CHROME IN THIS LANGUAGE (seleccionar Google Chrome en este idioma).
8. Aparecerá un cuadro de RELAUNCH (REINICIAR). Haga clic en eso.
9. Luego, todo lo que se abra en Chrome estará en español, incluido Schoology.
Schoology Translation Part Two
Instructions for Translating ALL Schoology pages/documents/resources
1. Open Chrome on your computer.
2. At the top right corner, click the three vertical dots next to the person icon.
3. From the drop down menu, select SETTINGS.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Advanced.
5. In the language box, click the drop arrow (to the right) and click on ADD LANGUAGES which is in bold type.
6. Select from the list of languages and add.
7. Once the language appears, click on the three vertical dots to the right. You will get a message box. Select DISPLAY GOOGLE CHROME IN THE LANGAUGE.
8. A RELAUNCH box will appear. Click on that.
9. Then anything opened in Chrome will be in Spanish, including Schoology.