What is a Wind Turbine?
Wind power is a form of solar power because wind is caused by the heat of the sun. A wind turbine captures wind and makes it into electricity. It goes through a long process.
How Wind Is Turned Into Electricity!!!!!
Firstly, wind passes through the blades creating force which makes the rotor turn. Then, the blades spin at a very low speed. The low speed shaft are connected to the high speed shaft which is connected to a generator. As the speed shaft spins rapidly it causes the generator to start producing electricity. Electricity from the generator transforms to the right voltage for the electricity grid.
Advantages of wind power!!!
- People are using coal faster than the earth is producing it. If you use wind power you will save the earth as well as recieving electricity to our homes.
- Wind is free and we have the right technology to capture it efficiently.
- Once the wind turbine has made electric energy, it does not make pollution to nature. (eco-friendly)
- Even though the wind turbines are very tall it takes a small amount of land.
- Some places that are not connected to the power grid can make their own supplies.
Disadvantages of wind power!!!
- The strength of the wind is never the same. This causes different amount of electricity to occur. Sometimes there is no electricity at all.
- Some people disagree in locating the wind turbines in the landscape. They prefer it to be natural and untouched.
- Wind turbines are very noisy.
- Many people think that wind turbines are unpleasant to look at.