Back to School Curriculum Updates
Language Arts ~Every Child, Every Day!
The purpose of language arts in Leander ISD is to develop lifelong readers and writers who are equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to ensure their success as effective communicators. Core instruction includes:
- Whole Group Reading Lessons
- Read Alouds
- Guided Reading
- Phonics Mini Lessons (K-2)
- Spelling Mini Lessons (1-5)
- Handwriting Mini Lessons (K-3)
- Writer’s Workshop
In Leander, EVERY DAY students should be:
- Reading text of their choice; reading with fluency, accuracy and comprehension.
- Listening to the fluent reading of an adult.
- Communicating with others about their reading and writing
- Writing in their writer’s notebooks about topics of their choice.
- Thinking critically about text and seeking to develop deeper understandings.
- Our Units of Study should be our first stop before we search other sources!
- Guided Reading Website- Great Resources for K-5 (Check out Purposeful Practice; Keyboarding Ideas)
- DRA Open date pushed to Oct.3; Use previous year's DRA to help start GR groups by week 2 & 3. Data & DRAs will be provided on Wednesday in the Book Rooms during your planning period.
District provided resources include:
- Journeys (including Comprehensive Literacy Guide)
From High Leverage Reading summer training:
Look for links in EUS for Reading Strategies (Fiction and Nonfiction) from Jennifer Serravallo
Supporting Comprehension in Fiction (2nd Grade)
Supporting Comprehension in Nonfiction (2nd Grade)
- Texas Write Source for Grades 2-5 (one TE and 5 student editions)
- Rebecca Sitton Spelling Grades 1-5; Spelling Guidelines (K-5)
- Fountas and Pinnell Phonics Grades K-2; Word study Grade 3
- Handwriting without Tears K-3
- Great resources that are referenced in our Units of Study and the question stems that have been added will address all areas on the Wheel of Strategic Action (in the Continuum of Literacy Learning by Fountas and Pinnell)
- Lucy Calkins grade specific Writing Units of Study K-5
Anchor Charts from K-2 Writing Training (found in Setting Up Writer’s Workshop K-2 at bottom)Anchor Charts from 3-5 Writing Training (found in Setting Up Writer’s Workshop 3-5 at bottom)
Deer Creek Guided Reading Resources - from Summer 2016
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT Opportunities
DRA Training for new teachers September 13 or September 20
TPRI Training for new teachers September 1
Make Sense of Math
Students build conceptual understanding through the intentional use of models to move through the mathematical cognitive processes of concrete, pictorial and abstract development.
Do the Math
Students develop proficiency with mathematical skills and tools that contribute to reasoning and understanding mathematical concepts.
Use the Math
Students apply mathematical understandings to solve authentic, multifaceted problems at varying levels of complexity. As students learn to persevere and become flexible problem solver, they engage in math conversations that help solidify and justify their thinking.
Bridges in Mathematics Online Resources- Display Materials
Great Quick Start Guides on website under implementation tab. http://bridges.mathlearningcenter.org
There have been A LOT of updates to the Bridges materials, so your binders ARE NOT the most current resource. Please check the website to see the updates made. Some are small some are BIG! Grade 5 given new module; Grade 4 given new Unit 7 to include more practice with fractions; use old for PACE instruction
New to district PACE screening – Letters will go home in 1st Wednesday folder. Screening takes place August -September
STAAR Connections for 3-5 will start in NOVEMBER. We will be doing STAAR Connections 2-3 days per week this year for 10min.
Parent Year at a Glance now on every school's website: https://sites.google.com/a/leanderisd.org/lisd-elementary-math/parent-communication
Elementary Social Studies focuses on the “doing” of Social Studies. Students should have the opportunity to practice the skills of historians, geographers and economists through the use of district units of study and resources.
Studies Weekly & Online Resources
EUS Updates- Green highlights
LA Integration- Notice & Note
Every Kid Votes
Clever Login will give you access to your grade level resources and more!
- Integrated Social Studies and Math Unit Citizens in My Home, School and Community
- Geography: Living on Earth Integrated Science and Social Studies unit, will take an entire 9 weeks and the SS units may be moved as needed.
Integrated SS/ Math Unit Show Me the Money
- Building Bridges
- Personal Economics
DBQ – (document based questions) included in Essential Units of Study, some units shifted around
Updated resources, learning checks (Kahoots, ALREADY CREATED!!!)
- Online Resources
Mandatory and Optional Recognition Days
Google student site
Elementary Science focuses on hands-on, minds-on experiences to develop:
Concept understanding (Matter and Energy; Force, Motion, and Energy; Earth and Space; Organisms and Environments)
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Tools and Models
- New Modules- 2nd (Butterflies on Demand & 5th)
- Great ARTICLE from Charlie- https://goo.gl/2STTrl
- Butterflies on Demand (Insect Lifecycle TEK in 2nd)
**All 3 science modules have 9-week assessments**
**4 & 5 are still being tweaks and will be sent shortly!**
Third ~ In the Middle of Module
Fourth ~ has a blue performance task tub for Properties Matter and is done at the end
Fifth~ In the Middle and End of Module
Curriculum Information & Professional Development:
Science home page:
- Online Video Training that counts in Eduphoria.
Deer Creek Module Rotation information:
Modules are here for the first 9 weeks!
- Butterfly Ordering Deadlines ( 1st 9 wks= 8/16, 2nd 9wks= 10/12, 3rd 9wks= 12/14, 4th 9wks= 3/22)
- Order Critters on the EUS curriculum site by AUG 20 .(Can order now for whole year!)
- All critters will arrive on Wednesdays
- 5th Grade: Pillbugs and Elodea will arrive in the same shipment. Rinse elodea with tap water and place in a basin with water.