Mrs. Dearmon's Rockin' Fourth Grade
January 10th - 15th, 2016
- Now is a great time to restock supplies!!! The students are in need of pencils, pencil top erasers, glue, and dry erase markers.
- Reminder that students need to dress in layers. We go outside every day before noon so the temperatures are still chilly.
What is Going on This Week in Curriculum?
Mrs. Dearmon's Math Class
- Monday we will be reviewing for our unit test on adding and subtracting decimals. Many of the questions on the test are in word problem form, so we have been busy solving problems in class and for HW. The students will be starting a practice test in class and will finish for HW. I will be having a morning review Tuesday morning at 7:45 for anyone wanting some extra help for the test.
- Tuesday is our assessment on decimals.
- Wednesday we begin our unit on geometry. We begin today with vocabulary for line geometry. The students will be creating foldables to help with this.
- Thursday we will continue reviewing line geometry and will have our workshop rotations today.
- Friday the students will have a 12 question geometry quiz on the computer using IA. The quiz will include all the line geometry vocabulary and application of these terms. We will also be exploring polygons.
For the geometry unit, our workshop model will be used when we see that it is able to work. There are some lessons where there is so much new material, that whole group lessons work best.
Ms. Olmeda's Math Class
- We just finished up our unit on adding and subtracting decimals.
- This week, students will begin working on the first part of the Geometry unit. The students will learn about lines, line segments, rays, and points.
- They will also learn how to use/measure a protractor, and they will learn about the different types of triangles.
- The students will have a test this Friday. The following week the students will continue with Geometry (more specifically polygons).
- Independent reading each day.
- Small groups will be finishing up with problem and solution this week.
- DRA testing and running records will begin this week. If your child was not on a level 40 Independently, then he/she will be retesting. All other students will complete an oral running record and comprehension check to make sure progress continues. This is a new policy this year.
- While Mrs. Bell and myself are testing, students will be completing a "cold read" reading assessment, weekly newspaper, and weekly Spectrum comprehension sheet.
- Mrs. Bell's group is also working on a reader's theater to share with the class during her small group times.
- We have been busy at work developing our characters using internal and external traits and putting that character in a scene.
- Next, we will be creating our story arc or timeline which will outline the events in our fiction story. We will develop our ideas and have our character(s) climb to face obstacles and challenges.
- Later in the week, we will begin drafting our pieces.
- No science this week
- The students are back to social studies this week with Mrs. Keller.
- They will be learning about how agriculture affected slavery, the European culture migrating to Virginia, why the capital moved from Jamestown to Williamsburg, and the colonial economic system.
Spring Run Elementary Room 500
Fourth Grade Teacher