Fearless in 4th!
March 20, 2017
Math: Our next unit in math will cover the following skills: adding and subtracting fractions (this includes mixed fractions!), adding and fractions with denominators of 10 and 100, lines of symmetry, and solving multi-step word problems.
The Unit Test will be on Thursday, March 23rd
After spring break, our unit will be over the following skills: dividing whole numbers, solving for area, identifying angles and measuring angles, and additive angles.
Please work on their math facts!!
*Don't forget that your learners can access IXL at home and the game Prodigy. Both websites are excellent ways to have your 4th graders practice math skills!
Reading: We are focusing on comparing two texts with the same topic but also contrasting the two texts. After completing graphic organizers, we will then write a paragraph (or two) about the two texts. We will also be doing this with texts of the same topic but from different points of view.
After spring break: We will be focusing all week on poetry.
Writing: We are currently researching our ecosystem topics for our class ABC books. This week we will begin drafting and going through the writing process to hopefully complete them. If not, we will continue the ABC book after spring break.
After spring break, finish ABC book and then begin researching a nonfiction topic (approved by teacher) and writing a research paper about it.
You can see most of their writing pieces on their google drive! Go to google.com, have your learn log-in like they do at school and then they can pull up their work!
Spelling: This week we have started a new word sort and will be practicing their words doing different daily activities. I will assess their current word sorts this Wednesday, but will not hand out a new sort until after spring break.
Science: We will be focusing on hurricanes and tornadoes! We will also be starting our unit on ecosystems to tie in with our ABC writing.
Social Studies: We will finish learning about the region of the Southeast.
After spring break, we will begin learning the states and capitals of the Midwest. Hopefully they already know one state and capital :-)
March 27-March 31: Spring Break
April 10-21st: PARRC testing
April 14th and 17th: NO SCHOOL
April 26: LATE START
May 10: LATE START
May 25th: Last day of 4th grade!
(We do not have our schedule yet as to when we are taking what tests)
What: Language Arts (3 sessions, 90 minutes each) and Math (4 sessions, 60 minutes each)
1. Tardiness, please make sure that your students are ON TIME everyday, but especially during our testing window! We will have a tight schedule and will be sharing computers with the other 4th grade classes so we cannot start late!
2. Absences, please make sure (unless they are sick!) that you do not schedule any appointments or trips during our testing window
3. SLEEP! They need to get plenty of sleep so please make sure they are going to bed at a decent time! At their age, it is recommended that they get 9-11 hours of sleep!!
4. Breakfast, please make sure that they eat a healthy breakfast. Eating a sugary breakfast does not help them focus or be able to sit for a long period of time.
5. ENCOURAGEMENT, they will need a lot of pep talking and encouragement during these two weeks as they can be very stressful for them. Writing them notes of encouragement would be AWESOME! Or even having quick conversation that tells them to do their best, will give them some extra confidence to do well!
Here are the following names in our class: (we have 24 students)
Our Twitter account is for educational purposes only and for you to see what is happening in 4M!
Each week, I will be implementing a lesson on Tuesday's about the idea of being "mindful," which is the ability to be fully aware of yourself as you are in the moment. This requires one to be aware of their surroundings and what is happening right now.
This week our lesson is, "How to Recognize MY Feelings." This comes down to basic needs and their feelings, reactions, etc. to those basic needs which often drives behavior and moods. Often kids don't know why they are acting the way they are, this lesson will help them reflect on it. Not only that, they may just recognize it before it becomes a problem and come up with a solution :-)
Scholastic Book Orders
8:10-8:35 PE Gallick
Monday’s 12:00-12:50 Art
Wednesday’s 11:50-12:15 Music
Thursday’s 12:00-12:50 IMCFriday’s 11:50-12:15 Music