BWMS Parent Update
Stomp Out Bullying Spirit Week!
It was a fantastic Stomp Out Bullying Spirit Week at Big Walnut Middle School. Our students were able to show that school spirit and follow the leadership of our student council in committing to treat others well. The CharacterStrong lesson on Wednesday focused on patience as displayed in the life of Jackie Robinson. Ask your student how the conversations went from their Advisory and how they can apply those traits to be better tomorrow than they are today.
Have a great long weekend,
Mr. Josh Frame
- The SOAR Cart was rolling today Thursday 10/15/20 as we recognize students for Scholarship, Ownership, Awareness and Respect at BWMS.
- The end of the Quarter was Wednesday 10/14/20 and 1st quarter grades will be posted in PowerSchool on Thursday 10/22/20 at 8:00 AM.
- There is no school on Friday 10/16/20 in lieu of conferences.
- All students can submit a design for the Yearbook Cover Art Design Contest beginning next week. The deadline for the cover designs is November 2nd.
- BWMS in partnership with the Delaware Health District will offer a drive-thru Flu Clinic available on Wednesday 10/28/20 from 2:30-4:30 located in the back parking lot near the softball field. Please find additional details here or posted below. There is also a Drive-Thru Flue Clinic on Thursday 10/29/20 at the High School. Those details can be found here. These events are open to the public but pre-registration is required.
- Due to the pandemic and maintaining as much spacing as possible on our buses each day, students are required to ride their scheduled bus to and from school at all times. Changes to a student's bus schedule so that they can ride home with a friend or relative are not permitted. If your child's place of residence changes, please contact the school to ensure proper changes of their bus schedule.
Attention parents of students with an IEP. The Ohio Department of Education has requested your feedback through this survey link: Special Education Family Survey
Teaches post weekly assignments and expectations via Schoology each week. Students should log into Schoology daily and be available for the Live Sessions according to the schedule listed in the attached handout was shared with students today during our VLP orientation.
- Please find the VLP Attendance Update which includes more details specific to attendance procedures and guidelines for our VLP students.
- If your VLP student is required to miss school due to an illness or a Doctor's note, please be timeline in submitting your excusal notes to the office. The sooner we have the information, the more align our attendance letters and information will be in PowerSchool. Thank you for your assistance in this area.
Social Emotional Support Update
- Please find the attached letter about support services available for our VLP kids in partnership with Syntero. These sessions are useful to help your student connect with others and will include topics of interest for students in middle grades.
Updated on Gifted Services
Update on Online Curriculum Options & VLP Related Arts
Are you looking for a way that you can make a positive impact in Big Walnut Schools? The district is in need of substitute custodians, food service workers, and bus drivers. If interested, please visit our Job Opportunities page to apply.
Training will be provided to all substitutes - potential drivers will receive all training necessary to meet licensing requirements for drivers. If you have any questions, please contact Ron McClure at 740-965-8967.
DACC Virtual Chats
Parents of 6-10th graders: Thinking college and career? Attend an upcoming virtual session to learn more about the "super electives" your kids can take later in high school via the Delaware Area Career Center. Zoo school, engineering, pharmacy, nursing, bioscience, cybersecurity, app development, digital design and more! THREE online sessions starting on 10/1. RSVP and more details here.
14 End of 1st quarter
15 SOAR Cart
15 BWMS PTO Meeting, 7:00 PM
16 No School Conf Comp Day
19 Art Contest for Yearbook thru Nov 2nd
22 Report Cards Posted 8am
2 BWMS Yearbook Cover Contest ends
4 Picture ReTake Day
12 Winter Sports Pictures
13 Grade Update Day
19 BWMS PTO Meeting, 7:00 PM
25-27 Thanksgiving Break
30 No Students - Teacher Prof Dev Day
BWMS SOARing Staff Award
School Counseling Update
- Know! To Positively Connect with Your Teen
- ADHD Academy - a virtual resource sponsored by Nationwide Children's Hospital
- September 2020 Mental Health Newsletter from Mr. Plummer
- Know! To Beware of the Benadryl Challenge
- Know! Six R’s for Less Stress Homeschooling
- Know! July is National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month
- Know! To Define Racial Terms for Teens
College Credit Plus Update
The Columbus State Community College Spring 2021 schedule is now posted.
If a student would like to take a College Credit Plus course online or at the CSCC campus during the second semester, they need to make an appointment with Mrs. Sturtevant to get registered.
Appointments can be made by emailing Mrs. Sturtevant at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by seeing Mrs. Strahler in the high school counseling office.
If you have any questions, please reach out to Mrs. Sturtevant.
HEALTH AND SAFETY UPDATE | COVID-19
Please see the attached health and safety update from District Nurse Megan Truax.
Big Walnut Schools are committed to seeking out our military connected families and assisting those families as needed. Should an immediate family member currently be serving in the military, please let us know. Please complete the Military Connected Student Information Form.
We have several events each year to bring our military connected families together. Please check our district website and weekly newsletters for additional information on those events.
Stay Connected with BWMS w/ Schoology
- BWMS will send out Announcements Periodically throughout the week to keep others informed using the new school communication and learning management system - Schoology - https://schoology.bwls.net/home.
- BWMS Families code: 8VWG-XH43-BRB6Z
- BWMS Athletics: 2KDR-2KDW-322JB
- BW-VLP Schoology Family Group: 86C8-CC76-PTNC4
All information for BWMS athletics can be found at bigwalnutathletics.net
Enjoy serving others and making them feel great, Consider helping at the Delaware County Make A Difference Day. This is a county-wide day of service for all ages that will be held on Saturday, November 14th from 9am-12noon. Registration is open until Sunday, October 25th. Volunteers will help older adults with outdoor chores. Health and safety guidelines are in place for this year including:
- Groups of no more than 10
- Masks required
- Packet/assignment pick up prior to event (Sunbury location at Jessica Forman's office)
- Drive through paperwork drop off after assignment is completed
- Hand sanitizer wipes provided
Volunteers will receive a great t-shirt and the satisfying feeling knowing they've helped our community!