Sequoia Adult School
March 2022 Newsletter
Important Dates for Month of March
March 17, 2022-Saint Patrick's Day
March 24, 2022- HSE Winter 22 term ends.
March 25, 2022- HSD Winter 22 term ends.
March 25, 2022- ESL Morning classes end.
March 28-April 1, 2022- Spring Break! (SCHOOL CLOSED)
April 4, 2022- Spring 2022 term begins!
ESL "MORNING" CLASSES
REGISTRATION STARTS MARCH 7
- REGISTRATION LINK AVAILABLE ON MARCH 7
- ATTEND IN-PERSON ORIENTATION
- MONDAY TO FRIDAY
- 9:00-12:00 PM
- APRIL 11 TO JUNE 24
CLASSES ARE FREE
A look back on February: Black history Month
February in the U.S. is Black History Month, a celebration that pays tribute to the contributions, achievements, and impact of Black heritage and culture!
Please check out the display on the second floor by room 21. We invite students, teachers and staff to learn more about the achievements of notable black figures and see how they have helped shape American history!
March: Women's History Month
Every March, we celebrate Women's History Month to remind ourselves of the accomplishments of women throughout the years to our culture and society. From science to politics, it's is a chance to reflect on the trailblazing women who lead the way for change.
Keep an eye out for the new display that will take over on the second floor by room 21!
Volunteer of the Session
Mike is a High School Equivalency tutor working one-on-one with Language Arts students. Since day one, Mike has shown tremendous commitment to our students. He is dedicated to their success and helping them reach their goals. Mike has helped multiple students pass the HiSET tests. He continues working with students supporting them as they continue their education at Canada College. We are so grateful for Mike!
Let's learn more about Mike.
- What do you do for work? I manage my portfolio of startup investments, and I tutor language arts.
- What are your favorite hobbies? Reading and staying in shape. I am currently reading Obama's The Promised Land.
- What do you enjoy most about volunteering at Sequoia Adult School (SAS)? People. People. People.
- What's your greatest accomplishment or best memory at SAS? It is most satisfying to see students improve, and to learn that they have passed GED tests.
- Do you have any advice to give to the other volunteers or students? It is our privilege to help those who have come to the US. They help us improve our society and our own lives.
Sequoia Adult School featured in The Daily Journal!
10th Annual OYE Latinx Youth Conference
OYE 2022 Conference – Latinx Youth Conference based in North Fair Oaks, Redwood City, EPA and surrounding area. It is an opportunity for Latinx youth (ages ~12-22), parents and allies to explore how they can support their community, pathways to their future, their culture and identity, as well as personal development.
Date: Saturday, March 19th from 9:00 am – 3:15pm
Location: The conference will be held in person at Cañada College and virtually.
Conference will include plenary sessions, workshops, free lunch, lots of swag giveaways and tons more.
This conference is for Latinx youth ages 12-22 and their parents. Any youth in the area is welcome to attend.
- Mental Health and Wellness
- Movement Building, Activism, and Civic Engagement
- Financial Literacy
- College Access and Higher Education -
- Immigration/Know Your Rights
- Exploring and Expressing Culture/Identity
- Coping Mechanisms and Stress Relief
It’s free to attend for all, but everyone must register in advance.
- Registration is NOW OPEN: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/oye-2022-tickets-250850870707 or www.tinyurl.com/OYE2022
Free Meals at North Fair Oaks Library!
Two weeks left to apply for scholarships!
Silicon Valley Community Foundation is proud to offer a range of scholarships open to diverse groups of students. Apply by March 18, 2022 for the 2022-2023 school year!
Click below to view scholarships open to:
You can also view all scholarships and filter searches by different criteria. View the application requirements and details on each scholarship's webpage as the requirements vary.
Last day to apply: March 18, 2022.
How to apply:
Catch a Free Ride to College!
Do you need College and Career Advising?
Free At-Home COVID-19 Tests
Every home in the U.S. is eligible to order 4 completely free at-home COVID-19 tests. Orders will usually ship in 7-12 days. Order your tests now so you have them when you need them. These at-home COVID-19 tests can be an important supplement to the testing offered by your healthcare provider, local pharmacy, and community testing sites.
Place your order HERE.
Pediatric Vaccine Clinics- Every Friday!
REDWOOD CITY / NORTH FAIR OAKS
Fridays, 3:30-7 p.m. – Fair Oaks Health Center
2710 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, CA 94063
Advance appointments are now available, highly encouraged, and may be scheduled through MyTurn. Walk- Ins are also welcomed.
County Health encourages families to get children vaccinated as soon as possible through pediatric care providers, pharmacies, or at the clinics listed below. Vaccines prevent serious illness, save lives, and reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Redwood city School Free Preschool Program!
Starbucks Barista- El Camino and Whipple
Summary of Experience
- No previous experience required
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality, with or without reasonable accommodation
- Available to work flexible hours that may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, nights and/or holidays
- Meet store operating policies and standards, including providing quality beverages and food products, cash handling and store safety and security, with or without reasonable accommodation
- Engage with and understand our customers, including discovering and responding to customer needs through clear and pleasant communication
- Prepare food and beverages to standard recipes or customized for customers, including recipe changes such as temperature, quantity of ingredients or substituted ingredients
- Available to perform many different tasks within the store during each shift
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and request clarification when needed
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to build relationships
Costco Wholesale- Front End Assistant
SalaryFrom $19 an hour
- High School Diploma or GED preferred.
- Customer service skills preferred.
- 8 hour shift
- Weekend availability
The Cardinal Hotel- Hotel Front Desk Agent
Salary: $20 - $25 an hour
High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Hotel experience: 1 year (Preferred)
Day Shift (Preferred)
Night Shift (Preferred)
US work authorization (Preferred)
Stanford University-Library Assistant
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Customer service: 1 year (Preferred)
- US work authorization (Preferred)