Pirate Cove Connection
PES Media Center News - April 2018
National Library Week April 8-14 2018 - Libraries Lead
Celebrations during National Library Week
- Monday, April 9: State of America's Libraries Report released, including Top Ten Frequently Challenged Books of 2017.
- Tuesday, April 10: National Library Workers Day, a day for library staff, users, administrators and friends groups to recognize the valuable contributions made by all library workers.
- Wednesday, April 11: National Bookmobile Day, a day to recognize the contributions of our nation's bookmobiles and the dedicated professionals who make quality bookmobile outreach possible in their communities.
- Thursday, April 12: Take Action for Libraries Day.
Last Day for Check-Out May 3, 2018
5th Annual PIrate Cove Book Swap May 1-11
All Books Due to the Media Center May 9, 2018
MackinVia Ebooks for Earth Day
A Planet Called Home
by Lisa S. French
What Can We Do About Trash and Recycing?
By Lorijo Metz
By Christine Peterson
April 2018 Media Classes
What will we be learning in media this month?
- Digital Citizenship - Digital Passport, Be Internet Awesome and NetSmartz Kids
- MackinVia - 700 new books and resources added from Tumblebooks
- Pictures - Do they appeal to you and do they make the story better?
- Plot/Theme/Subject - Does the topic of the story make you think or teach a lesson? Do you and other children like the topic of the story?
- Characters - Can you relate to the characters? Are the characters funny or appealing in some way?
- Author/Illustrator - What is the Author's Purpose: to Persuade, Inform or Entertain? Do you like other books by that author?
- Memoirs of a Parrot
- That's Not a Hippopotamus
Dates to Remember
April 30 – Start of Book Swap During Media Resource Time
May 3 – Last Day for check-out
May 4 – SSYRA (5) and SSYRA Jr. (10) deadline for party
May 9 - Books Due to Media Center
May 10 – Battle of the Books
May 11 – Last day for Media Classes and for the Book Swap
Our Numbers for March 2018
Number of Books Checked Out - 2,075
Number of E-books Viewed - 1,478
Number of Classes - 35
Number of Magazines Checked-out - 150
Most Check-outs by a Student - Kayla T. 18 books
Class with the Most Check-outs - Ms. Hamelin's Class 82
Most Check-outs by a Teacher - Mrs. Eberhardt 12
WPES News Crew
Meet Our SSYRA Battle Team
Alternates: Max T. and Carlynn
May 4 - SSYRA Deadline for Awards.
May 10 - Battle of the Books South at Gamble Rogers Middle 10:00AM
SSYRA Voting - AND THE WINNERS ARE...
Palencia students voted for Coming Soon
SSYRA Jr. 1-2
Palencia Student's voted for Coming Soon
For more information and a list of books, visit the PES Media Center website.
App of the Month - TumbleBooks
Birthday Book Club
The Palencia Elementary School Media Center’s Birthday Book Club is a wonderful way to commemorate your child’s birthday. Your participation not only enriches the library collection but allows you and your child to be personally involved in its growth.
To take part in the Birthday Book Club donate one new undamaged hardback book. This book should be a book that your child enjoys and one that we don’t have in the media center already. You can choose a new book at the book store or a new book from the Book Fair. A quick check of our library catalog (Destiny) will tell you if we already have the book. If you would prefer, you may make a monetary donation of $15 and your child can choose from recently acquired books that are waiting to be put on the shelves. For more information, contact the media center.