Grade 4 News
Newsletter #1: Who We Are UOI
UOI 1: Who We Are
An inquiry into the nature of the self; beliefs and values; personal, physical, mental, social and spiritual health; human relationships including families, friends, communities, and cultures; rights and responsibilities; and what it means to be human.
Central idea: Being human makes us same, but our culture shapes our individual beliefs, values, and actions.
Key concepts: Form, Perspective, Reflection
Related concepts: culture, beliefs, values, traditions, customs
Lines of inquiry:
- What culture is (Form)
- The difference between a belief and a value (Form)
- How actions are reflective of cultural beliefs and values (Perspective)
- Commonalities of people (Reflection)
UOI Field Trip
What Are We Learning This Unit?
- Understand place value when dealing with multi-digit whole numbers (less than or equal to 1,000,000).
- Add, subtract, multiply, & divide whole numbers to solve problems.
- Add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers fluently.
English Language Arts
- Use details and examples in a text to draw conclusions and explain exactly what the text says
- Use details from a story, drama, or poem to figure out the theme and summarize the text.
- Know the difference between first- and third-person narration in different stories.
- Look at how similar themes and topics (like good vs evil) and different events (like a quest) are treated in folktales from different cultures.
- Write narratives about real or imagined experiences using good writing techniques, strong details, and clear event sequences.
- Write routinely over time for a specific task
- · I can introduce myself نفسي and greet others. السلام عليكم، مرحبا، اهلا وسهلا، صباح الخير، مساء الخير
- · I can recognize the sound of letters and write them in correct form.
- · I can memorize color and shape words, and numbers one through ten.
- · I can talk about myself نفسي and greet others. السلام عليكم، مرحبا، اهلا وسهلا، صباح الخير، مساء الخير
- · I can recognize words and write simple phrases in correct from.
- · I can memorize colors الالوان, shapes الاشكال, hobbies الهوايات, and numbers الارقام one through fifteen.
- · I can greet others and talk about myself نفسي, and my likes and dislikes. السلام عليكم، مرحبا، اهلا وسهلا، صباح الخير، مساء الخير
- · I can write sentences in Arabic in correct form.
- · I can memorize color الالوان, shape words الاشكال, hobbies الهوايات and numbers الارقامone through twenty.
Science & Social Studies
- Observing mealworms when you change something in their environment
- Explore the types of organisms that live in a leaf-litter environment
- Define how culture influences people
- Describe the social, political and religious character of the earliest colonies
- Examine and describe the unique and diverse cultures of early native American societies
- Compare the early cultures of the Native Americans with the European settlers and their influences on each other
- Qalqalah Rules
- Etiquettes of reciting Qur’an.
- Shaddah and Sukoon.
- Noon Sakinah Rules (Izhar, Idgham, Iqlab, Ikhfaa).
- Etiquettes of reciting Qur’an.
- Memorize Surat Al-Borog.
- Memorize Surat Abasa.
- The general meaning of Surat Al-Borog.
- The general meaning of Surat Abasa.
- Learn steps of wudu along with duas of wudu
- Learn how to do perfect wudu with only 16.9 fl oz of water
- Learn the story of Adam, Huwa, Cabeel, and Habeel
- Construct a make-believe best friend and worst friend based on the character traits that we will be studying
- Learn about the childhood of our Prophet Muhammad ﷺ
- Experiment with media, processes, and techniques to express your thoughts and feelings
- Create artworks that explore the uses of the elements of art and selected principles of design, such as pattern, repetition, contrast, balance, and variety
- Critique selected artworks using criteria based on the elements of art and selected principles of design
- Describe the relationship between the elements of art and principles of design and the aesthetic qualities of works of art
- Establish criteria for how to critique works of art made by others