The most playful animals in the sea!
- Dolphins are very fast swimmers, with sleek bodies and thin fins.
- When a pod of dolphins spots a school of fish they swim towards it at 35 mph!
- They work in groups, pushing the fish upwards to the surface of the water.
- When the fish are jumping out of the water for dear life, the dolphins swoop up and eat the yummy snacks!
- Dolphins use 20% of their brains, more than us humans!
- They use echolocation to hunt.
- Dolphins hunt in pods of a dozen or more to increase their kill rate.
- To attract mates, they jump up into the air gleefully and do somersaults under water.
- Young calves swim by their mothers to stay safe for the first years of their lives.
Often after dolphins mated, they swim together for hours just playing around! Sadly, after that, they will never see each other again.
Calve and Cow
Dolphins stay with their mothers for a few years after they are born.
Dolphins camouflage with Gray backs and white tummies.