Ms. Larrabee's 1st Grade Class!
The Buzz This Week (3/21 - 3/25)
Writing: We will finish our Non-fiction chapter books this week! The beginning of the week will be spent finishing our books and on Friday we'll celebrate with a well deserved book sharing party! We're going to go "camping" for our party, and I need your help to make this book sharing party a success. If you could please send your child to school with a pillow, small blanket and a flashlight, we'll spread out around the room, turn the lights down and read our stories!
Reading: We'll spend the remainder of March and the first couple of weeks of April digging deeper into non-fiction texts. This week, the kids will read for the main idea and supporting details as well as practice taking notes about the information they read on their iPads.
Word Work: Our studies in vocabulary will be with the 'oi' and 'oy' digraphs in words such as boil and toy. The new sight words we'll be practicing include: oil, most, very, thing, hour.
Social Studies: Last week the students selected and started conducting research on a famous African American. The kids will finish their research and make as well as present power point a presentation about their chosen individual.
Math: We'll begin the week reviewing addition to 100 and subtraction from 20. Then, we'll begin our new unit, Measurement and Data. The kids will learn how to represent data they collect with tallies, bar graphs, pictures graphs, concrete graphs and much more. The kids will also learn how graphs represent data and how to ask and answer questions based on the data that is represented.
"Buzz Worthy" Things to look out for...
- I would appreciate your help with our writing party on Friday, March 25th! We'll be celebrating our finished non-fiction chapter books by cuddling up with pillows and blankets, turning down the lights and reading our books to each other with flashlights! Please send your child to school with a pillow, blanket (or both) and a flashlight. Thank you!
- We are going on a field trip to the Magic House on Thursday, March 31st. Currently, I do not have a permission form from every student. Also, I am looking for one more volunteer. If you could volunteer your time to assist our first graders on this field trip, please email me and let me know.
- We will have a guest speaker on Tuesday, March 22nd about giving your child the tools and opportunities to succeed and fail.
- Spring Portrait Day is Thursday, March 24th.
- First Friday has been moved to this Friday, March 25th.
- The Ned Show is coming on Friday, March 25th from 2:15 - 3:00.
- Student grades are due on Friday, March 25th and should be sent home next week.
- There is a District-wide "open" K-5 chess tournament on Wednesday, March 30th. You can register for the tournament online.
Wednesday: Music/ Wellness Wednesday
Thursday: Wellness/ Chess club
(3/7 - 3/11)
I hope everyone had a great spring break! I can't wait to hear all about your child's adventures during their break throughout this week!
We had a busy week taking assessments for our grade card. The students worked really hard and put forth their best effort to show their growth in their learning since the end of second quarter. I will be working on grades this week and you should have them next week.
We earned a double Pawfect Award in library from Mrs. Ems for PERFECT behavior!! This is the first time we've earned a double Pawfect Award for being outstanding learners during a specials time.
On Friday we celebrated different cultures with our first grade rotations. The kids had a blast traveling to South America, Europe, Australia, Asia and Africa. I hope your kiddo showed you their projects from each of these locations as well as their Passports. We also had an Irish dancing assembly at the end of the day.