Gender Sports Stereotypes
Why a change is neccessary
Male Athletes vs Female Athletes
- Men must play sports to prove their masculinity
- Men may ONLY play physical sports and not feminine sports
- For example: boxing NOT figure skating
- Women are portrayed manly if they play sports
- Women are considered unappealing, unless they wear short skirts while playing
- Their ability to play sports is questioned
- They must only play feminine sports
- For example: Figure skating NOT boxing
"According to the Women’s Sports Foundation, male athletes get $179 million more in athletic scholarships each year than females do."
Who enforces these stereotypes
The media plays a major role in brainwashing humans on how male and female athletes should be like to fit in society. From the way we think to the way we act is all controlled by the media. A child's knowledge comes mainly from the media. Research shows that the more television kids watch, the more likely they are to hold sexist notions.
Media vs Men
A study shows that nearly 18% of teenager boys are highly concerned with their physique. The media is presenting men in the "perfect body" shape which is completely wrong, because only 1-2% males actually have that body.
Media vs Women
How can we as a society make a change?
Ways to Help
- An organization funded to help provide girls who want to pursue a career in sports without being criticized
- Click on thir URL to donate
Other ways to Help:
- Attend women sports events
- Coach boys and girls teams for sports which are not popular
- Encourage young women and men to participate in sports of their choice