McKinley Elementary Newsletter
December 2022/January 2023
Dec 5 In Person Usborne Book Sale 2:20-4:00 Library
Dec 6 - PTC Meeting 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Dec 7 - Rooms 3,4,5,6,7 Gingerbread Holiday Musical @ 6:30PM, McKinley Gym
Dec 9 - NO SCHOOL Grading Day
Dec 13 - Take Out Tuesday @ Five Guys 4:00 PM-9:00 PM
Dec 14 - 4th Grade Orchestra and Choir Concert @ 7 PM, McKinley Gym
Dec 19 - Jan 2 - NO SCHOOL, Winter Break
Jan 3, 2023 - First day back to school!
Jan 3 - NO PTC Meeting this month . See you Feb 7th
Jan 16 - NO SCHOOL, State Holiday
Feb 2 & 3 - NO SCHOOL, Parent-Teacher Conferences
Every Wednesday is a 1 hour late start at 8:50 AM - the other days 7:50 AM
Inclement Weather & 2 Hour Delays
The district is actively monitoring the weather and the forecast. If there are any weather-related impacts to school operations, staff and families will receive communication from the district.
If you have not already, please take the opportunity download the ParentSquare app and please be attentive to your email, text and phone during weather events. The district website will also be updated with current information.
IF A 2 HOUR DELAY IS CALLED MCKINLEY WILL START AT 9:50 AM. THIS IS FOR ALL SCHOOL DAYS MONDAY- FRIDAY.
A FEW BIG THANK YOUS TO MCKINLEY PTC!
2. The students LOVED the day with the inflatable obstacle course! Thanks to PTC and the many volunteers for providing this reward for the students hard work on the Fun Run.
3. Movie night was a BIG hit too! Thank you PTC and parent coordinators!
PTC Monthly Meeting
Dec 6th @ 6:30 PM
Childcare provided 6:30 -7:45PM- Cafeteria
Parent Meeting - Library
Obstacle course report
Take out Tuesday
movie night feedback
Book fair feedback
Year at a Glance
- 1st Tuesday of most months - PTC Meeting 6:30 PM-8:00 PM
- 2nd Tuesday of most months - Take Out Tuesday - fundraisers at local restaurants
- October 7th - Fun Run
- October 12th - Willamette Valley Pie Fundraiser
- November 28- Dec 2 Usborne Book Fair
- December thru February OBOB (Oregon Battle of the Books)
- February 27-March 3 - Read-A-Thon
- April - Scholastic Book Fair
- June 2 - School Carnival
PTC officers: Lea Hinchcliff, Beth Gallini, Thomas Wells and Raina Wickstrom
Questions? Contact the PTC exec team at email@example.com.
RAINY DAY RECESS
Tips for staying healthy this winter season
This winter, the whole Salem-Keizer community can work together to keep our schools, students and community safe and healthy.
Remember to follow some simple precautions to prevent illness:
- Stay home when sick.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid the sharing of cups and utensils.
- Wash hands regularly for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth and keep your hands away from your or your child’s face.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are often touched, such as doorknobs and electronic devices.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Consider wearing a mask in crowded indoor settings, especially if you or someone in your home is at high risk for severe disease.
- CDC recommends that everyone 6 months of age and older get a flu vaccine annually.
DEADLINE FOR REQUIRED SCHOOL IMMUNIZATION: FEB 15, 2023
UNDEFEATED McKAY BOYS SOCCER TEAM WINS 5A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
GUIDE TO GRADUATION BY GRADES
ALL STUDENTS GRADUATE PREPARED
Elks Club Free Hoop Shoot Contest
Type of Event: Hoop Shoot
Lodge Number: 336
Location: Salem Academy 942 Lancaster Drive NE Salem, OR
Description: We are going to be in the elementary gym, which is right next to the main gym. The elementary gym is the newer building, set to the east of the main gym.
Contact: Blake Whitson
Contact Phone: 541-570-9262
Contact Email: Blake.ORNCElks@gmail.com
9:30 AM registration and warm up
10:00 8-9 year olds shoots
10:45 10-11 year olds shoot
11:30 12-13 year olds shoot
Students will shoot in the age group based on their age as April 1, 2023.
2022-23 Meal Prices: Free!
Thanks to the USDA’s Seamless Summer Option, we will be able to feed all students breakfast and lunch at school for free this year.
Lunch Menus Food Services will not be printing lunch menus to send to the schools. They will post on each schools website, as well on the District website. They are having a hard time getting anything on a consistent basis and cannot depend on suppliers to have what is needed. The food chain/Supply and Demand is ever flexing.
2022-23 DISTRICT CALENDAR - click the calendar to go to the website for details
EVERY Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday7:30 Breakfast available in cafeteria (free to all students)
7:35 Doors Open for all students
7:50 School Starts- tardy bell rings
2:20 School Ends
8:30 Breakfast available in cafeteria (free to all students)
8:35 Doors Open for all students
8:50 School Starts- tardy bell rings
2:20 School Ends
Arrival and Dismissal doors will be the front courtyard and back breezeway doors for grades 1-5 and Kindergarten in the garden area.
HOW DO I STAY CONNECTED?
Read our newest format of the school Newsletter via email, remind or on the school website!
Follow us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/mckinML
Follow us on our school website. https://mckinley.salkeiz.k12.or.us/
Download the free ParentSquare App on your phone. https://parentsquare.com
Check your email inbox. Update your email in Parent Vue if it's not accurate.
School hours: 7:50AM - 2:20PM (M,T,Th,F) 8:50AM - 2:20PM (Weds Only)
Doors open at 7:35AM
Principal Michelle Nelson
Address: 466 McGilchrist St SE Salem OR 97302