Mariner Memo-- Sehome High School
Week of November 4 - November 8
Monday: A Day
Tuesday: B Day
Wednesday: A Day
Thursday: B Day
Friday: A Day
FAMILY FEEDBACK REQUESTED
Please set aside 5-10 minutes and help us collect important information about how our families and students experience our school: bellinghamschools.org/familyfeedback . We use this confidential information to help us know what we’re doing well and what we can improve on.
Thank you for your help with this survey!
Poverty Simulation Workshop
November 7th, 6-8 pm at Sehome HS
(Hosted by Bellingham Public Schools Foundation)
Poverty is a reality for many students and families in our school district…but unless you’ve experienced poverty, it’s difficult to truly understand.
This event will give you a better understanding of the challenges people face when working and struggling to pay bills. Each attendee is assigned the role of a family member and they must navigate various challenges throughout the workshop. This eye-opening experience raises awareness about poverty-related issues in a way that inspires compassion and community action!
AP TESTING INFORMATION
Dear Families of Students taking AP Classes:
The AP® Program has introduced new resources and processes designed to help students earn college credit and placement. This week’s message is slightly different than last week’s message, so read the information carefully. Here’s what you and your student need to know:
· SHS AP students will be asked to register and pay for their AP Exams by November 8, 2019 at the SHS ASB office. Unfortunately, families are unable to pay for the AP exams online at this time. Cash or check will be accepted at the SHS ASB office.
· The 2020 fee is $47 per exam. Students who qualify to receive free or reduced lunch will have their AP exam fees waived, provided they submit a Low-Income Student Verification Form to the ASB office, signed by a parent/guardian, prior to the registration deadline. This form is available at the ASB office.
· There will be a $40 fee for late registration (after 11/15) and a $40 cancellation or unused exam fee
· AP Exams will be held May 4 - May 15, 2020
· AP students should have already signed in to myap.collegeboard.org and enrolled in their AP class sections using the unique join code provided by their teacher for each AP class.
Please do not hesitate to contact me, or your child’s AP teacher, if you have questions. Thank you!
Bethany Barrett - Assistant Principal
CAREER AND COLLEGE PLANNING WORKSHOP
Bellingham Public Schools will host Design Your Future, a career planning workshop, 5 to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 19 at Squalicum High School. The evening will be an opportunity for high school students and families to begin thinking about and planning their post-high school years.
Start the evening at 5 p.m. with pizza provided by the Bellingham Public Schools Foundation. The keynote presentation begins at 5:30 p.m. with Tanya Rojas of the Northwest Educational Service District 189 speaking on “Discovering your Passion.”
Following the keynote presentation, three break-out sessions hosted by regional employers and higher education specialists will take place on a variety of topics. Students/families will have an opportunity to attend three breakout sessions. Sessions will include representatives from technical college/community college; DigiPen Institute of Technology; aerospace, engineering, work-based learning programs and apprenticeships; services academies, ROTC, officer training and military service alternatives; and workforce education programs/professional technical programs
You can also visit break-outs on the ACT and SAT, understanding public college and university admissions, and becoming a college athlete
See you at Squalicum High on Nov. 19 and start planning your future now!
CAREER CENTER UPDATES
BTC Tour! Tuesday, November 5th, 8:30 am - 11:45 am. Come take a tour of the programs at BTC and tour the campus and labs! Hear from the students what they love about their school. For grades 10-12
ASVAB test– Tuesday, November 19th Sehome will host the ASVAB test. 83% of testers are not planning to go into the military but are seeking career guidance and planning. For grades 10-12.
WCC Fall Preview Day Friday, November 22nd. Seniors are invited to classroom presentations, tour the campus, receive schedule advising and listen to a student panel.! Pizza lunch included!
College Admissions Reps are coming to Sehome! Check out the list of visits and sign up in the Career Center.
Please have your students pick up our free parking pass at the ASB office if they don't already have one. There are WWU students parking in our lots taking up needed parking spots. In order for me to know who our students are they must have a pass. Passes are free and if they forget their pass they can sign in their vehicle in the main office.
HOW TO RESERVE A TUTOR
Sehome' s Tutoring Center is open Mondays-Thursdays from 3:30 to 5:30 in "The Hub" down on our first floor. We recruit tutors from Western Washington University and Sehome to support our students. We offer an online system to reserve free one on one time with one of the tutors, as well as open study time. We serve a healthy snack and can provide a WTA bus day pass. To make a reservation with a tutor click here or follow the directions below:
- SHS Home Page / Students Tab /Learning Center
- Scroll down to “TUTOR SIGN UP”
- Select “This is my first time…”
- Select Tutoring Subjects, Subject, and tutor’s name or “any” (The system will assign tutor)…NEXT
- Calendar “highlighted dates are available”… choose time, one block is 30 minutes, 2 blocks for one hour…NEXT
- Provide personal information …NEXT
YOU ARE DONE
The student will receive a confirmation email…also, a second email with an “assigned username and password to reserve their appointments moving forward”
QUESTIONS? ….. CONTACT MS. APT at Brenda.Apt@bellinghamschools.org